When will this admin take over......(oil spill)

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Major, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2010

and take "control" of this oil polluting disaster. :confused::confused:

This is beyond a single company's capability to "right a wrong"...... Why isn't the mainstream media leaning on our government to put it's entire resources into the effort....... BP CANNOT get this done. It's time for this adminstartion to mobilize every resource possible to mitigate this disaster.

I love the Gulf Coast and feel so bad for all who live there....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/us/13latest.html

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

It's rather sad they haven't stepped in. BP can't do it alone.

4. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jun 12, 2010

It all boils down to the "$$$$..." involved. It's so much easier to blame BP than to find a fix or clean it up. This affects all of us and I'm sure that not one of us has let this cross our minds as we fill up and go down the road. We are dependant on the resources from off shore drilling. The companies and our government knew the risks involved.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2010

I think a lot of us have thought about this as we fill up...

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2010

BP is world class at "finding" oil....however.. this one blew up in their face...... Oil is spilling into the Gulf....... and BP alone can't stop it... The government....(our government) .. in my opinion... is not giving it's best shot at slowing down/stopping the harm that is being done to our shores, our gulf, our resources.......

Where is the outrage from the media or the people....It's not threre .... That and that alone will force the admin's hand.

(I realize this is not as important as general "venting."........ and I don't expect it to complete with something like "dancing with the stars", etc)

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2010

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 12, 2010

BP can't do it alone and never should have been expected to. In a crisis that has effects of destroying our economy, the government should have stepped in immediately. Isn't the environment more important than blame? Yes, BP should be held accountable. But accountability should have been a second thought--stopping this oil leak should have been the priority, regardless of WHO stopped it. This will have a trickle effect on the economy and when that happens, BP doesn't have enough money to help us all.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 12, 2010

I sincerely wonder (not sarcastic) how the same folks who are mad that the government got involved with the financial crisis want the government to get involved with an ecological crisis. What's the difference, from the point of view of big government takeovers?

[​IMG]

Me, neither!

10. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jun 12, 2010

My guess is because it's not hurting or displacing people is the reason they aren't doing much. (Everybody was quick to pounce on Bush for the mistakes of Katrina but they aren't blaming Obama for this.)

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

If Bush were still President, there is no doubt the media would be screaming at the top of their lungs about his lack of action and blaming it on his "friendship" with the big oil companies.

That being said, however, I'm not sure what this (or any) administration can actually DO about the disaster that isn't already being done. In an interview on NBC's Today show, Obama said he was meeting and talking with experts more than a month ago on this situation so he can determine "whose a$$ to kick" (video link). That makes a tough-sounding sound byte, but placing blame for the disaster and penalizing the offender is not the same as finding a way to actually clean up all the oil. I read another article a few weeks back claiming Obama had refused offers from several other countries to aid in the clean-up process. While it certainly seems we could use as much help as possible in a disaster of this magnitude, I'm cautious about how valid these accusations really are.

From what I've seen and read on the situation, the only legitimate and permanent solution is to drill a relief well. That will release the pressure from the existing well and allow BP to cap it off. Everything else being done is just a temporary measure to reduce and control the amount of damage that occurs until the new well is drilled.

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 13, 2010

The government doesn't have the know how BP does. Why aren't the other oil companies helping with their ideas? Love the comic, they kinda want it both ways.:eek:

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2010

I live in the affected area. Many communities are coming together to find ways to mitigate the damage being done to their shoreline, in spite of the "unified command" telling them that BP has to approve everything before it is done. Basically, the communities are telling BP to "suck it up, Buttercup" and doing what we can to fix things.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2010

I don't have any idea what the answers are.

But every single day that oil continues to pour into the Gulf, people's lives are being changed. Their livliehood, their homes, their beaches, our enviornment--- all being destroyed with every pint of oil that pours into the Gulf.

There was massive concern over the Exxon Valdez years ago--- where's that concern now? This issue dwarfs that one, yet we sit patiently and wait for BP to fix it.

They are obviously in way over their heads. Someone, somewhere, needs to take charge and keep this crisis from getting even worse.

But first we need to recognize that it is, indeed, a CRISIS. It can't wait for tomorrow or next week or when we get around to it. It needs to be taken care of today, this morning, NOW.

Oh, and Swansong, I LOVE that you're using my catchprhase :)

But I do think it's possible to ask government not to regulate every move we make, while still expecting it to handle a crisis of this proportion. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing."

15. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jun 13, 2010

I'm starting to think that they don't really know WHAT will be successful. Don't you think if the other oil companies had a solution they would come forth instead of continue to let this disaster destroy the environment? It's just a sad situation all around. Seeing those animals breaks my heart every time.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.