When will I hear back?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JRafko, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

I have applied to about ten different website, a few were district wide, and North Carolina was state-wide. I understand they all will interview and start looking for potential new teachers at their own leisure, but when do most districts actively begin hiring new teachers?

I am ready to move, start a new life, start paying loans. I AM READY AND ENTHUSED!

WHOSE WITH ME??!

3. redtop

redtop Companion

Mar 25, 2013

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your job application is nowhere near as important to the people who receive it as it is to you. This is not just true in teaching, it is universally true.

Some of the jobs don't even exist. They might say explicitly that they are looking for a candidate pool for potential openings, or that might be the case even though they don't tell you. Some are already "greased" for applicants they know about. Some are opportunistic hires; i.e. if they find the right person. But I've heard people say "Well, you walked on water pretty well, the bread and fishes tasted pretty good, but y'know that leper you healed still has a little bit of a limp - sorry, we're looking for someone who's a better fit for the job."

You can always try to follow up. Some places will be happy that you show initiative, some will put up every conceivable roadblock to keep you from talking to a real person.

What's worse, some schools are quite happy to get your cover letter and resume directly, some specifically don't want it.

I'm not a teacher, I can tell you that as a hiring manager in the past, I'm happy when someone who is uniquely qualified for my opening reaches out to me. But if it's just a generic entry level position and they just have generic qualifications, it's extremely unlikely that (a) I overlooked their resume and (b) a phone call or a direct email will get my attention where the initial submission didn't. But I certainly won't hold it against someone.

Is it possible for you to identify specific, real jobs that are posted and who the hiring manager is for them, and ping that person specifically?

4. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

I have emailed specific principals of teachers in the district letting them know a little bit about me, that I applied, and would love to be considered for any openings in the future.

5. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

Sometimes the website will not be so specific as to list certain jobs. It is a 50/50 shot on whether they specify or not. If they do not they keep your information on file.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

Every area is different. My school wrapped up interviews, made offers, and sent out a bulletin introducing the new teachers joining our staff for next school year last week.

In the district where I student taught, the hiring season didn't even begin until June.

There is no typical hiring schedule for all of the US. Each locale is different. It could range anywhere from January through August in my experience. And then, of course, there are often mid-year opportunities that come up at other times of the year as well.

Good luck to you!