When will I get a response?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by artteach, May 17, 2005.

1. artteach

artteach Rookie

May 17, 2005

I'm getting a little depressed. I've sent out about 8 packets of my resume, cert, etc.... - for jobs that were posted either on PAREAP or on the district's web site back in March and April.

I haven't heard anything. Is it normal for the schools not to call right away. I don't know what to think. Should I assume I won't get interviews? - Or should I expect calls to start coming in July or August? Very confused.

3. KYgirl

KYgirl Rookie

May 18, 2005

I'm in the same boat as you- only I've sent out 22 packets, and tried to maintain contacts with principals. I'm close to getting an interview at one school, but I haven't heard from a single other one. Our district has openings posted online, and I tried to contact the principals of those schools with no luck.

From what I understand, my district does their hiring very late- in July or even August (here school starts the second week of August)- because they have to wait for all of their funding, and for teachers to retire, etc.

I don't think you should assume that you won't get any interviews. I've been discouraged, but everyone I know that is already teaching says that it just takes time.

Have you tried stopping by any of the schools? I've tried doing that to make contact with principals. I think that helps because then they know you're really interested. Just a thought. Hopefully we'll both hear something soon! :)

4. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

May 21, 2005

Hey....When I moved to a new state last year and started looking for my first teaching job, I faxed over 100 resumes...after I faxed, I stared calling some of my top choices and asking if they had received my resume and whether or not the position had been filled. It took an inordinate amount of time....but I have a great job now...I think partly having to due with persistance. I would call some of your choices!! Good luck :)

5. Kaci

Kaci New Member

May 21, 2005

I know...

It took me over 2 months for the first school to call. I think it just depends on how busy the school is. But the wait is definetly worth it!

6. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

May 22, 2005

It takes a while to get a call or any kind of contact from schools you apply. In my case, some schools replied me three months after I have applied, even though there were a few schools replied within a month. This is not the end of the story. After being interviewed, some schools do not call you back till 2-3 months later, and I have heard that it is not so uncommon either. So, you just have to wait patiently, and see what will happen to you.
    I was in the same situation, waiting, waiting, and waiting. The school I got hired was very quick, called me back within a month after my resume was sent, got interviewed within a week from that call, and got hired within a week after the interview. Maybe, there were a better opportunity, but I could not wait any more while being insecured about next year. So, I decided to take it. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

7. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

May 26, 2005

I graduated a couple of weeks ago, but I finished my student teaching in April. I sent out 8 resume packets at the beginning of March. I had two interviews in April and one in May. I just signed a contract with a district this week. I think that every area is different. The key ianywhere, is definitely persistance. Call, show up, send the principals and administrators packets. Make sure you include every single thing the school needs to consider you. A lot of districts start interviews early but hire late, so even if you don't get calls early there is still a ton of time. Good Luck, it is a stressful time. remember to stay positive and keep yourself out there where the districts see you.