When We First Learned to Cook...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Dec 30, 2010.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2010

This is a spin off thread inspired by several threads I've seen lately with women beating themselves up because they aren't immediate cooks just because they entered adulthood. So I thought this thread could become an encouraging yet humorous thread about all of our blunders and stuff we didn't know when we started. Let's get the laughter started....

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2010

I baked my first turkey with that bag of "goodies" still in the cavity. I also once made my mom's famous pumpkin pie with no sugar. Pumpkin doesn't really taste very good without sugar.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 30, 2010

I've been "cooking" since I was a toddler. My mother has pictures of me sitting on the kitchen counter stirring whatever was in the bowl in front of me. I've ruined my fair share of food. More recently, my kitchen boo boos tend to involve the need for the fire department or rescue (or medical attention of some sort).

Not too long ago I was cooking something with grease. It got to hot. It popped, and my burned the first two fingers on my left hand very badly. One small part of the burn was down to the bone. Last week, I sliced my finger down to bone.

I've started numerous small kitchen fires, and one not so small fire. My best was a fire IN a pan of oatmeal. That takes talent. I torched my hair at one point. I've thrown countless meals and baked goods in the trash.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2010

When I was in third grade, I made an apricot tart and put in three tablespoons of salt instead of three teaspoons. Yummy. Not!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2010

In college my sister made cake from a recipe. When it said "grease the pan" she put the Crisco all around the outside of the cake pan! :p She still hasn't lived that one down.

I once forgot I had baked potatoes in the oven and let them cook for about 5 hours-needless to say, they were pretty crispy.

I'm still learning. I tend to improvise too much-oh, I don't have any basil, let's just use something else-that's where I usually get myself in trouble.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2010

My very first time to cook on the stove I was about 16. My dad let me do it exactly two times. After the first time he bought a splatter screen to attempt to prevent the grease from flying everywhere. After the second time, I just wasn't allowed to try anymore until I got married and moved out on my own. Apparently I was a scary cook. (I grew up with dad, just the two of us).

Then I called my mom because I didn't have a clue what brown the meat meant and I was trying to make hamburger helper for my husband.

My husband would beg me to please let him eat a sandwich because he was STARVING and it would take me 3 hours to make a 30 minute meal. Now he loves it when I cook for 3 hours because that's a full course fancy meal.

Our early meats were served with tons of knife marks running through them. They weren't pretty but I was determined not to serve them undercooked. That was a lesson I learned too early in my cooking career. Uncooked chicken is embarrassing and really gross.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2010

Grease the pan... that's a good one!

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

I didn't really learn till I left home. My mom was not a big cook. I was raised on 3 or 4 dishes and TV dinners.

If you light the stove under an oiled Wok and walk away for too long it actually ignites into a flaming grease fire. My finches died of smoke inhalation. It was very sad.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

My mom wanted to be a Home Ec teacher, so I started cooking very early. I often cooked meals for my family at 9 or 10. But, no matter how good a cook one is, there are disasters.

1. I used garlic powder instead of curry. The cat would not even eat it.
    2. I have ruined a few pans due to overcooking. I usually scrub and scrub, but the last one my DH took out of my hands and said, "It's okay to throw this away."
    3. I experiment a lot with my crock pot and soup. I have thrown out soup because it does not taste good.
    4. I was a test cooker for a recipe book this year. They gave me some interesting recipes to try. One was grits made into a cheesey cornbread type of thing. It was my first experience with grits. I don't know if it was me or the recipe--but it was awful.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

I first learned to cook scrambled eggs when I was little with my mom.

I am a pretty decent cook but I have made mistakes
    I was making monkey bread and didn't have a bundt pan so I used an angel food cake ban - the butter leaked out and almost caused an oven fire and my husband was burned while trying to get the pan out

I was making chicken cacciatore a few months ago. I went to grab the cooking white wine but grabbed vinegar instead and ruined the meal.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 30, 2010

Both of my parents cooked a lot. We rarely ate out, and we didn't have a lot of processed/convenience foods either. My friends always liked to come to my house because my mom always cooked "real" meals. Dad actually did some catering for his office and the church, especially after he retired. They trusted me in the kitchen early, so I learned to cook at an early age.

Now, fast forward to age 30 when I got married. DH was convinced that I had lied to him about knowing how to cook.

My parents had an electric stove. My house had a gas stove. I bought the house in July, and we were married in October . . . and that was NOT much time to learn how to cook on a gas stove.

Everything I tried to make was overcooked, dried out, or just plain burned.

My "best" moment was the flaming boiled egg on the ceiling. I put three eggs in a pot of water and turned them on to boil. Then I went outside to help the neighbors catch their dog. About 10 minutes later, I heard something. It was my FIRE ALARM!

My kitchen was full of smoke. My pot was boiled out of water, and the eggs had exploded. There were bits of egg on everything. One piece on the ceiling was on fire. :eek:

That was just a couple of years ago. :eek:

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

May I recommend this book to anyone moving away from home for the first time, or just trying to learn to cook! I got a copy from my mom for graduation from high school, and it came in SO handy! It explains step by step how to do everything: cooking, cleaning, shopping, simple sewing, choosing groceries, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Mom-Now-That-Need/dp/0961539011

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 30, 2010

Oh, and I can't make meatloaf either. I can make meatballs, but the loaf eludes me. I even use the same recipe.

The last time I made meatloaf, the dog wouldn't eat it. I put some in his dog bowl with his regular food, and he took straw out of his dog house and "buried" his dog bowl.

15. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 30, 2010

I have definitely done this many times. The most embarrassing was a time that the one in my immediate apartment had been going on long enough, it triggered the whole building's fire alarm. Luckily it was the middle of the day and no one was home, and I waved a towel on mine long enough it finally stopped. But I was sooo nervous someone was going to figure out it was me!

MissCelia- thanks for the book! It's a little late for me, but it's perfect for my VERY dependent sister that is still living at home. It's sad the things that this 23 year old doesn't know how to do!

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

I still look things up in it sometimes, if it's something I only do once a year or less, like cleaning certain things. It has a place to write in your own family tricks, recipes, and secrets, so my mom wrote in mine, and I've added some to it over the years.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 30, 2010

Lol!

I haven't had a disaster yet...but plenty of things that were extra black and crispy

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 30, 2010

My parents gave me a Disney cookbook and I decided to try making cocoa cupcakes... when I was unsupervised. I used instant hot chocolate and swapped out corn starch for flour (hey, they were both white and powdery). I wasn't allowed near the kitchen for years!

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 30, 2010

Okay, MM's Fire Department stories.....

Cheesecake is best baked in a water bath. A water bath is when you cover the bottom of your spring form pan in foil, then place the foil in a larger pan, then cover the bottom of the larger pan with water. Well, I did two things. First, there was apparently a green scrubbie stuck in the foil. Second, I forgot to put water in the water bath. Well, of course, Of course, the green scrubbie caught fire, filling my whole house with smoke, and totally trashing the inside of my oven. The fire was large enough that my then-husband called the fire department while I put the fire out with the handy-dandy fire extinguisher I keep in the kitchen for just reason.

My second fire department story was the time I started a grease fire on the stove top. That incident also required a rescue truck. I was cooking fried chicken, and grease had gotten all over the stove. I'd been trying to keep it clean, but a combination of a thin layer of grease, me leaving the rag too close to the burner, and too-hot oil started a fire. I reached for the fire extinguisher, but that was the exact moment the oil decided to EXPLODE, sending hot (and sometimes flaming) grease everywhere, including up one of my arms. I actually did get medical attention for that burn.

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2010

My mom almost never cooked, and I was tired of heating up ramen noodles for dinner every night, so I started making dinner at about 10.

I collect cookbooks, but won't follow a recipe. So there are nights when we have to toss my experiments and order pizza!

My worst attempt at dinner - I was maybe 11 or so, and checked out a cookbook on cooking for allergies. My sis and dad couldn't have dairy, so I tried to make "chicken with dairy-free cream sauce." The cream sauce was supposed to be mostly cauliflower and chicken broth. Well, my mom had NEVER brought cauliflower into the house, and I was fairly certain she wouldn't eat it. So I substituted broccoli.

Which, of course, made my "cream" sauce GREEN!

Good thing there was a baby in the house - we scraped off all the sauce and used it as baby food!

One of my favorite "basics" cookbooks is
    http://www.amazon.com/Boil-Water-Fo...6863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293766736&sr=8-1

It has great step by steps for some of the harder basic things that you are just supposed to know - like carving the turkey at Thanksgiving!

21. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

I use the recipe on the back of the Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Follow it EXACTLY - don't get creative - and it will turn out great. Oh, but do lightly brush the top of the raw meatloaf with ketchup (I don't think that part is on the recipe).

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2010

My mom is a superb cook. I just didn't grow up with her except on some weekends.

Growing up with my dad we made the following:
    * microwave pizza
    * soups heated up in the microwave from cans
    * grilled meat and maybe can green beans or corn
    * tuna/crackers
    * hotdogs (rather weenies in the microwave)
    * tv dinners

I ate fresh fruits and cheese a lot. Very occasionally we strayed from this list. I got the rest when I visited my mom.

Once I managed to get a strobe light alarm put in successfully. (I seem to fail this mission every where we move). It was quite comical because I was standing across the street at a neighbor's house and my house was flashing. My neighbor looked bewildered and asked what was going on in my house. :)

23. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Dec 30, 2010

I got confused between teaspoons and cups once and ended up with VERY salty blueberry muffins.

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

When I was about 10, I insisted that I was going to make my own cup of hot cocoa (instant mixes were available, but my dad would have never allowed my mother to spend money on something so frivolous). I had no clue that you had to add sugar to cocoa, so my sister laughed hysterically at me when I took my first drink...

25. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 30, 2010

The first Thanksgiving turkey that I did on my own came out of the oven looking wonderful. When I tried to take it out of the pan I didn't loosen the bottom first. I stuck a wood spoon in the neck and one in the rear so I could lift it up. Well, the front half stuck to the pan and the back end flew out and landed on the kitchen floor.

I sat down on the floor and cried.

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

My first meal... crunchy spaghetti made with love and misunderstanding for my father and brothers.

27. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 31, 2010

When I first made kraft macaroni I used Ranch instead of milk. My BF at the time ate it out of loyalty. Poor guy!!

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 31, 2010

Ah, yes, the wonder years. You know, when everyone wonders what you were thinking when you made this particular dinner.:cool:

Piece of advice. Food coloring may not always solve your problems. For example, if my broccoli cooked too long, I would just add green food coloring to the water while it boiled and it seemed to improve it. When my gravy didn't seem brown enough, enter food coloring. These were the only two successes. Many, many dismal failures in the food coloring era. Note: Do not make red vanilla pudding as a Valentine's Day dessert. It ends up looking like a human organ. My beloved husband could not bring himself to eat it. Sad, sad, sad, but then, neither could I.:cool:

29. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

My roommate and I once came home after a night on the town. I crashed, I thought she did, too.

The next morning I popped open the microwave to make some oatmeal and discovered that my roommate had attempted to cook but must have forgotten about it ... in the mircowave I discovered a frozen hashbrown covered with a piece of cheese still in the plastic wrap resting in a bowl of salsa.

Bahahaha.

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

Having been married 3 times I have eaten many "Home" experiments no matter how BAD it was I would eat it, good thing we had dogs so I didn't have to eat it all

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

One time I went to cook a burrito in the microwave I was fixing the garbage disposer (someone had let a plastic shopping bag go down it), it was 1:00 AM, I wanted it fixed for the wife when she woke up. I set the timer for what I thought was 2:00 and left to go get a part a 10 min trip, plenty of time to let the burrito cool. Well, when I got home, it took me a little longer than 10 min, the kitchen was full of smoke I had set the microwave for 20:00! No one woke up even with the smoke alarm going off. (I went out and bought two more smoke alarms)

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

But you were in good company, bandnerdtx: that's how the Aztecs drank theirs before Columbus. (Well, minus the milk, too. And I will admit to finding the mere idea of Aztec-style chocolatl more than slightly unpalatable.)

My own biggest culinary disaster would probably be the chicken gizzard tempura. The ex and I were in grad school and sharing a two-bedroom apartment with a friend of ours who was a very good cook. We were all pretty broke, so we'd buy chickens whole. These chickens, like the holiday turkey, always came with innards - gizzards and hearts and livers. Our housemate quite liked liver, and gizzards and hearts can help enrich a stock, so we'd save those in the freezer.

One day, when it was my turn to cook, I decided I'd use our nice new deep-fryer to cook the innards tempura-style. (I've always liked tempura.) The ex, on discovering what I was up to, hastened to heat up two or three frozen burritos and then retreated to our room "to study".

The housemate watched with keen interest as I mixed the batter, coated the pieces, and immersed them in the hot oil. Soon there was a pretty golden-brown pile of liver tempura for the housemate and another pretty golden-brown pile of gizzards and hearts for me; we came up with I forget what for a veg and sat down to eat. Mumbling around her first mouthful of liver tempura, the housemate complimented me on the meal. I preened with pride. She almost choked on her second bite, however - from laughing at the look that crossed my face on my first bite. You see, liver cooks rather quickly - but gizzards and hearts do not, and inside their pretty golden-brown coats, they were practically raw.

And the ex - the rat! - had eaten the last of the frozen burritos. I think I had a peanut-butter sandwich for dinner.

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 31, 2010

I've always been a pretty good cook, but I do remember going over to my then-boyfriend-now-husband's apartment while in college, and attempting to make a casserole of some sort. It called for 1/4 cup milk, which I read as 4 cups milk...it was more soup than casserole...

34. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

I learned to cook at an early age. My sister was 12 years younger than me and when she was born she was in the hospital 60 miles away for three months. It was either learn to cook or eat sandwiches. So, I learned to cook. One of my first (of many) mistakes was when I was baking cookies. I made peanut butter cookies and the recipe called for 3 cups of flour...I misread and added 3 cups of peanut butter instead. They were awful.

35. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

I posted on the other thread that even though I have been baking my whole life it seems, I still make stupid mistakes like using baking soda instead of powder and ruining a whole batch of cupcakes just this year. D'oh.

I was thinking yesterday about when I first started cooking on my own. My mom always used a recipe at home for almost everything except spaghetti, and all of her recipes were for 5 or more people. So even though I cooked for my family often, I never cooked for one, and I never tried to create anything on my own. So I had to adapt when I moved out. I remember the first couple years most of my meals consisted of some kind of Lipton noodle or rice packet with chicken in it. I NEVER eat those things anymore. I also was thinking of a "recipe" that I used to make that basically consisted of seasoned chicken with sauteed mushrooms, peppers, and onions, with cheese on it. It makes me laugh now because I would haul out the cookbook every time I wanted to make it and measure everything exactly, because I was so used to following a recipe to cook. Now I don't even really consider that a recipe.

My favorite story though is my Grandma's. I have one of those Grandma's that you just assume was born a good cook and baker. But I asked her if she was always a good cook one day and she laughed and said definitely not. She reminded me that her parents died when she was 18 and since she was the baby of the family, she really never had to cook. So she learned everything from her mother in law when she got married, and she didn't even know how to boil water at that point. She also spoke almost all German in her house. Well I guess one night she was following a recipe that called for paprika. She looked through the spices and just assumed that paprika was a German word for red pepper. They both kind of look the same. So she dumped in a bunch of red pepper. I guess the meal was inedible.

Another funny one that happened this Christmas - my cousin has been trying out a lot of baking and he made a lemon meringue pie from scratch for Christmas. (That's one we all learn in my family). The filling was great, the meringue was a little flat, but there was definitely something wrong with the crust. We figured out later that he never baked it. I guess he thought that it would bake when he put it in to bake the meringue. lol. Oh well, you live and learn.

36. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

These stories are great! A writing assignment I always give my Intro to Foods students is a descriptive essay on kitchen accidents or kitchen disasters. Your stories remind me of this assignment.

37. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 31, 2010

This didn't actually happen to me, but my sister misread the directions on a pumpkin pie. She added 1/4 cup of nutmeg instead of 1/4 teaspoon!
    Once at school, a friend was popping popcorn in the microwave. She and I started talking, and forgot the popcorn. Needless to say, it burned! Black smoke billowed out, and we were afraid that the fire alarms would go off. We called the office to warn them in case they did, so that the fire dept. wouldn't show up! We actually warped the microwave, and had to throw it out and replace it. We still work together and we laugh every time she make microwave popcorn!

38. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 31, 2010

My dad is the cook in the family. So, I learned a lot from him. There was a time that I screwed up making jello. I stuck it in the freezer rather in the refrigerator.I couldn't believe that I mess up making Jello. LOL.

39. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

Oh, I've had so many disasters! They usually happen when I believe I can substitute ingredients!!

* made chocolate chip cookies and forgot to put in the flour! So, basically I burnt sugar on a cookie sheet

* chocolate chip cookies with too much flour

* waffle pudding with far too much cornstarch - it had the consistency of mashed potatoes

* anything with rice... my rice is always crunchy no matter what I do!

* the famous "chick pea incident"... I won't go into details, but even my most adventurous friend wouldn't eat them (and he has eaten many of my cooking disasters to avoid hurting my feelings!!)

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 31, 2010

One time I was cooking a large oven roaster chicken (It was the first time I had ever cooked a whole chicken and at that point I had never even cooked a turkey). I put it on the rack that my roasting pan came with and I thought the chicken looked odd. Also I couldnt' find the pop up timer. Well, I roasted the chicken and checked on it from time to time. I used a meat thermometer and saw that it was done. When my husband was carving it he started laughing. I had no idea why. It turns out i put the chicken on the rack UPSIDE DOWN. The pop up timer was on the bottom LOL Well, it sure tasted good but he always teases me about that.

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

I know a guy who intentionally starts his whole turkey breast down, on grounds that gravity acts on the juices the same way it acts on anything else.

But, yes, it's very different when it's not on purpose.