When two elementary schools share an assistant principal ....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

Discuss.

How is it divided?

Does the AP have any kind of instructional leadership role?

Any ideas?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 12, 2016

My first thought is to divide by days. The VP could be at the school every other day. This would create some confusion if the VP handled any discipline though.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2016

Here, it tends to be divided by days (although I have heard of a couple of situations where it was divided by weeks). My current school was in a shared VP situation for the first 5 months that we were open. It was confusing, and a bit frustrating at times, but we got used to knowing which days Steve was in the building and worked around that. Communication between the two Ps was essential, as was flexibility. If something urgent was happening at one of the schools, the schedule was adjusted to help meet the needs. The VP was responsible for a (pro-rated) share of teacher evaluations, PD at staff meetings, consulting on report cards, parent communication, etc. He also had a couple of projects that he spear-headed.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2016

We don't have AP's, but we shared a guidance counselor with another building for a few years, and it was a mess. Two and a half days at each building, but never there when needed and often couldn't be found at either building.

I think sharing could work, but it takes flexibility and a person (like you!), who actually will do the job.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2016

I prefer the division to be am/pm because when I've had the split by days, it seems you always need them on the day they aren't there.

In my experience, every time I've had a split AP, they've done mostly discipline since they aren't full time.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

Last year we had a shared Dean. Our K-8 school also had a full time AP. The dean will be full time this year which will be a positive. The dean did different things at each school depending on the Principal and what they wanted. I know being part time at each school was very difficult, never felt like there was a real connection with the staff and it took a lot longer to connect with students. Make sure you take the time to be apart of the staff, it will go a long way to helping in that type of split position.

8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 12, 2016

What I've seen here is that the schools who do this also share Principals. For example, two elementary schools in a local district have the same P and AP. One is at one building and the other is at the other and they switch by week. In a serious situation, both admins have been at the same school for a time and a "lead teacher" was in charge of the other building until admin returned.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 12, 2016

I've worked at two schools that do the same thing. It's a shame. Whenever a kid is having a full on meltdown or is just upset, there never seems to be anyone around to talk to them.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

We are just starting that this year (so thankful that my principal gets the extra support!), and it will be split up by days - 2 days each week with one day every-other-week. They're timing it with the counselor (the usual "2nd in line" to cover principal-y issues during the day if she's at a meeting) so that they can possibly share an office and also have the coverage all week. I'm not sure exactly what responsibilities she'll take on, but I'd imagine that it'll allow both of them to get out to the classrooms more often!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 15, 2016

Oh, man! I can't even begin to fathom working at two sites. Being a full-time AP at one site is busy enough for me!

Also, it took a great deal of time to get to know the teachers' personalities. We've got 30 teachers at my site and I'm at a point where I can pinpoint their mood as soon as they step foot in my office!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2016

So the other day, I spent a few hours meeting with the principal at one site. She said both principals are open to what we agree will work, and willing to try a setup for a month and then evaluate how well it works.

What I'd like to do is be at both sites every day, alternating as to the site at which I spend the bulk of the day. I figure I would do it so my en route time (about 15 minutes) was during a time when there were no kids at lunch or at recess at either site. So on Monday, I would start the day at Springfield Elementary and proceed to Southpark Elementary at 10:30. Then on Tuesday, I would start the day at Southpark Elementary and proceed to Springfield at 10:30. Wednesdays are shortened days with PLC time after school so I would alternate being at one school the whole day.

This is assuming, of course, that the busiest time for me is going to be when the kids are at recess or in the cafeteria. I could be wrong. If so, I'll change the plan.

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 15, 2016

Sarge, what do you think about the time lost going to each school each day? I would think(no experience with it) that your arrival at each school will almost always require some debriefing with the principal and other staff before diving into the pressing issues of the day. So that time+15 minutes driving time 4 of 5 days adds up quickly. 1 hour a week just in driving to one school. My thoughts, again, based on no experience with this.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 15, 2016

Good luck to you, Sarge! If you're only (or mostly) going to be doing discipline, I think this setup may work. I just hope you're not going to have to do the testing stuff I'm in charge of! Between facilitating testing, organizing SSTs, dealing with attendance & discipline, overseeing STEM after school enrichment, and being in charge of all support staff (scheduling, hiring, evaluating)--I am spread suuuuuuuper thin!

Last year, all the elementary APs were talking about going to the district office together to talk to the head honchos about either giving us a half-time AP to deal with discipline OR hiring a teacher on special assignment to be the site testing coordinator! We haven't mustered the guts to do it, though!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2016

Possibly. If they were both middle schools, I'd agree more. But with K-5 I think I may want to be at each school on a daily basis until the kids get to know who I am.

Pashtun likes this.