When to tell the students

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Backroads, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 24, 2020

As some of you know, I'm expecting. I have not told my class yet.

Last time I was pregnant, I showed up the first day obviously pregnant with info about the upcoming sub in my welcome back to school letter.

Those of you moms who have been pregnant during school, how did you tell your class?

I won't lie,since they're 1st graders, I'm tempted to wait for a blunt, tactless comment.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jan 24, 2020

Congratulations!! I teach teenagers. Teachers who’ve been pregnant in my school don’t usually make an announcement per say, until a student makes a comment or they ask because they are curious.

Backroads likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2020

I laughed out loud, Backroads, when I read your post. Yes, wait for that blunt comment or question. Once one kid notices, you can bet there will be a bunch of "Me, too - I noticed!" comments like a flood gate was opened. There will, of course, be one or two who will, without any tact, simply say they thought you were just getting fat! Not sure which tactless comment is worse, or funnier.

Once it is "easy to behold" by anyone with eyes, you can do one of two things, depending on how much you want to mess with their minds (adults). You can ask how they missed that memo that you sent out (but never did), or you can say you thought you told everyone, but if not, blame it on pregnancy brain - all mothers will shake their heads knowingly, and probably be able to tell stories about leaving their children at the grocery store, driving off without putting said children in the car, or a multitude of other stories. No one will question you after that, and they may even cut you some slack.

If you have a tentative, soon to be firmed up date for turning over the baton to a sub, you can start getting the kids and their parents ready for that eventuality. I would love to be a fly on the wall the day a student, with no tact whatsoever, notices and states the obvious. It will be good for a laugh, I'm sure.

Backroads likes this.
  5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2020

I wouldn't tell the kids too far ahead of time...you know how 1st graders are attached to their teacher and would be horrified to think that the teacher is leaving.
    How much before the end of the year are you due?

Backroads likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 24, 2020

I'm actually due in the summer, so it's not an issue for this crop

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2020

Since that's the case, I would just do what the other posters say and wait for the kids to say something.
    Once word gets out you will probably have lots of comments from kids who may have a baby coming in their own family...much of that will probably be the kids offering TMI about their pregnant relative and would embarrass the poor mom-to-be!!

Funny story, I had a 1st grader once who was with us in the parent/teacher conference with their obviously pregnant mom. Child matter-of-factly explained why the mom was "too fat". She was like the cat who rolled around on the floor with the daddy cat and now her mom was going to have kittens.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 24, 2020

Hah!

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 25, 2020

That is too funny! I think I'd wait too because I would not want to field all the Q's that could come from kids that age.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2020

Especially since you'll be finishing the year, I wouldn't say anything.

If they ask, answer matter-of-factly.

I have a rough history of pregnancies and it's not something I would involve students in at all if it was avoidable.