When to take Praxis II 0011, 0012

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Zanadu, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Nov 13, 2007

My mentor has requested that I take the Praxis II tests Jan. 12. However, when I look at the content I'm a little concerned. I'm still completing classes in lesson planning and instructional strategies. I won't be taking classes for the content areas until Jan./Feb. From what I can see on the ETS website, content areas will be covered. Is taking the exam in Jan. a good idea or should I wait until after I've had classes in the content areas?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2007

Mentors and advisers tend to recommend taking tests like these early, so there's some leeway in case the candidate has to repeat one or both (and because many test takers who are told to take the test in month x will somehow not quite get signed up in time...) The multiple-choice one (I always have to look up which is which, and since I went to bed at about 6:30 this morning I just don't feel like it) is like most such multiple subjects exams in that the content it covers is material that you would've learned in junior high and high school. If I am remembering correctly that you have a middle schooler or are working with middle to high school students, you're probably in better shape with the test than you think.

You could certainly take just one of the two in January.

4. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Nov 14, 2007

No! Really? More math?[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice. Taking just one test right now sounds like the way to go this time around. I checked and it looks like I'll have four more opportunities to take each test before demonstration teaching. Though hopefully it won't come to that.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2007

Shall we paraphrase Indiana Jones? "Math. Why'd it hafta be math?"