When to Stop?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Want2Educate, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Want2Educate

Want2Educate Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

Hello Everyone,

I graduated in 2009 with a K-6 degree and am certified but due to some moving since then I have missed out on the last two hiring seasons. This year I want to make it my year and get a teaching position.

Last August I moved to a new area and found out that a teacher in the area had walked out of her classroom in the middle of the day declaring she was through. I immediately introduced myself to the principal and scored an interview. I felt the interview went really, really well and that I may have gotten the job. However, the principal called and stated that the teacher had decided she might want her job back and that because she was tenured the school board had final say and she would keep me posted. Long story short, the teacher decided she had 3 years until retirement and took the job back. The principal called me and explained the situation and encouraged me to apply for some interim positions that they would have opening up in the spring.

I got a part time job at a retail store and they are not understanding of life outside work. I've had to beg to get a day off to go to the doctor. Unfortunately, the job market out here is tight and I can't really find a new job that's more understanding so I didn't get to apply for any of the interim positions when spring came.

When May rolled around I sent applications in and started watching websites. The school I had interviewed for last fall posted 2 positions on the 27th of May. I emailed the principal as soon as I noticed them which was just a few days later. I reintroduced myself, told her how interested I was in the position, and listed several strengths. Several days later I still haven't received a reply. This Tuesday I was in the area (it's 40 minutes away from my house) for an interview in a different district and stopped by the school to talk to the principal and give her my resume again. She was out for lunch and so I left my resume with a secretary. .

I still haven't heard anything and they posted 2 more positions on Monday! That's a total of 4 positions and most counties around me have NONE!

I'm really worried that she may be upset with me because I didn't apply for any of the interim positions. Or that somehow my email has ended up lost in cyber space. But I definitely want a fighting chance at a interview for one of those positions.

What should I do? I don't want to be too forward or annoying but I would like to get a response that lets me know either they're not interested or what have you.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm kind of stuck and not sure where to go.

3. js15206

js15206 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

Just realize that there may literally be hundreds of teachers applying for one position right now.

Please do not take it personally! I know we do as teachers but we have to believe in ourselves. I know I have been stressed and cranky a lot lately (my wife reminds me) about not having a job. Not even with 10 years teaching experience.

I'm guessing you don't want to move which makes it even more difficult. I am in the same position.

I don't think working retail and not interviewing in the interim has hurt your chances. The Principal is probably being bombarded from all angles.

Just remain polite and maybe send a thank you card (for past interviews) to her at the school. Flattery never hurts.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2011

Many districts have requirements about how long a job must be posted before interviewing candidates. I imagine the principal is taking time to review resumes and create a candidate pool and will arrange interviews in the near future. I would wait until mid-week, then call the school and ask about the status of the positions.

5. Want2Educate

Want2Educate Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

Thank you to both of you.

I think I'm very nervous because of the lack of jobs out here. Also, I have a friend who's mother works at the school and she called to tell me that they were having interviews so I'm really not sure what's going on at this point.

I will definitely be contacting her again next week like y'all suggested and see if that helps any.

Thanks again!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

Can you ask your friend's mother to either drop a good word or hand deliver your resume to the principal?

7. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

Don't get discouraged yet - I was in a similar situation, I never received an email back.. I was called to schedule an interview about two weeks later.

8. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

I'm not sure what part of TN you are in, but it is bad in East TN. I received an online interview and one of the questions stated, "...497 people have applied for this position...".

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 11, 2011

I wouldn't bother with that school for awhile--- they have your information, so set your sights on other schools.

I found a listing of job opportunities in private schools in your state-- you might want to check them out: http://www.taistn.org/page.cfm?p=380

10. Want2Educate

Want2Educate Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

Thanks again for all the support, advice, and tips y'all!

CONGRATULATIONS BIOANGEL!!! I hope you and your spouse have a long, happy, and fruitful life together!