When to stop applying

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sea488, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Sea488

Sea488 New Member

Aug 1, 2019

Hello! I’ve been reading this board throughout my 3 month job search. I took a child care leave and was RIFd in April. I didn’t think it was a big deal, as I have 3 years public school and 3 private as well as aide and sub experience. Since April I’ve had 10 interviews, 4 second round/demos... but no offers.

I thought I’d be setting up a classroom by now. I’m not sure whether to take an aide job in a great district close to home, sub in multiple districts, or look into something else.

My family and close friends aren’t in the education world so they are sympathetic but not super helpful. My teacher friends have a lot of different opinions-some say long term sub, hold out for a last minute classroom. I guess I’m just looking for informed outside perspectives!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2019

I don’t think I’d take an aide position if your hope is to return to teaching. I think I’d go with subbing for now. It keeps you flexible and open to options, should some last minute position come up. It also gets you exposure. If you didn’t already have experience, or if you really needed the benefits, then taking an aide position would be worth it. But I don’t see it as the best option at this point in your career. I think working as an aide would send the message: “I’m not good enough to get another teaching job, so I’ve settled,” whereas working as a sub sends the message: “I’m just doing this until I can find something permanent because the market is tough after taking a leave.”

4. Sea488

Sea488 New Member

Aug 1, 2019

That makes sense, and is my gut feeling, but I’m really burnt out on searching and interviewing. I don’t want to do something else, but I also want to be realistic as I’ve been on hiring committees and thought, “this person is not meant for the classroom.”

Thanks for the response!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 1, 2019

I second bella - no to the aide position, continue to sub and submitting applications. You might use your down time to take an online class in something that you believe would truly be beneficial when you return to the classroom. Loast time I was looking for a job, it turned out that the classes I had taken actually mattered to my future employer.

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 1, 2019

You will make more subbing than "aide-ing" the teacher ! Building subs make $135 a day in my home district.

7. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Aug 1, 2019

It took me 14 interviews to finally get a job...with 15 years experience and 3 years in this district. So don't feel bad! When does school start? I would keep checking for last minute jobs for sure. If you decide to go the aide route, I would get in the biggest school you can, or the one most likely to be hiring next year. I saw a lot of aides get hired this year, and that is how I actually got my first teaching job. Good luck!

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2019

Aides get hired in my school too. They also get full benefits which you won't get in a sub position.

9. Sea488

Sea488 New Member

Aug 2, 2019

Thanks! It is a big and brand new school which is why I considered it. And, would make slightly more than subbing. It’s more of an ego thing; I knew taking the leave was a gamble, but I didn’t see the job search being this hard or disheartening.

School starts after Labor Day, but teachers go back around August 20th in most districts (which is why I felt very much like giving up). There were new posts today so I intend to keep looking and wrap my head around being an aide again (which I was after grad school in this exact district 9 years ago)

Really appreciate the replies.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2019

I signed the contract for my first permanent contract at the end of the first week of school; it's not unusual for us to add a teacher during the first month of school because of increased enrollment.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2019

Definitely do not stop applying. There are tons of jobs still posted in my area.