When to remove a student from a trip

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by steve6, May 8, 2014.

1. steve6

steve6 New Member

May 8, 2014

Good morning everyone - I was curious what everyone thinks is the appropriate threshold for a student to be removed from a class trip for behavior or academic reasons.

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 8, 2014

Are you talking about sending a student home while on a trip or prohibiting the student from attending the trip in the first place?

4. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

May 8, 2014

Depends on the contract signed my parents and students before you left on the trip. For me, once that contract is broken, it's game over.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 10, 2014

I think it's nice that teachers at your school have any say when it comes to field trips. Teachers at my school do not. We are lucky if we are told ahead of time that there will even be a field trip. Usually we just find out about it when a whole bunch of kids are absent. It's frustrating to find out that students who are failing classes are allowed to go on fun field trips, especially when teachers have to justify all the grades that we hand out. Of course it's not really okay to say, "Well gee, administrator, perhaps I wouldn't have had so many Fs in class if my students had actually been present in class on a regular basis, had been held accountable for their work and grades, and had been required to complete missing assignments or improve their overall grades before being permitted to go on field trips. Just sayin'."

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 10, 2014

I've never been at a school who did not allow all students to attend field trips. There are several students I wish I had been allowed to leave at school.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2014

At my son's high school, I have to give permission & each of his teachers also need to sign the permission slip. Two exceptions 1.) when he played sports & that was usually an early dismissal from last period. 2.) when he was in choir, the day before a concert was a joint rehearsal with all of the choirs. If it was a different period then his choir class, then he missed a class.

We are not allowed to deny a child to go on a learning field trip. I've been able to do it in very rare instances. Usually I've talked to a parent & expressed my concerns. They will usually go with us or they will make the decision to not send their child.

We also can not deny a child the opportunity to go on a field trip because they can't afford it.

8. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

May 13, 2014

Our school sets a date, say March 1st. If I student get in trouble for behavior and ends up with in school suspension, main school detention, Guidance Center, or out of school suspension as a consequence they are ineligible to go on the field trip. Also students must be clear in the library, gym, and cafeteria.

9. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

May 13, 2014

It depends -- is it an educational field trip or a celebratory (amusement park) field trip? If it is celebratory - anything goes. Restrict at will! If it is a learning opportunity that the student will miss, I feel a little differently. Only in extreme circumstances do they not let kids go on those. However, they always take requests.

I once asked for a SPED students with 50+ absences to be in class and not join in on a fun biking field trip because he was so far behind and also had behavior problems. The SPED teacher slammed me pretty hard saying it was unfair of me because he did fine in HER class of 5 kids, so he should get to go have fun. So, I've stopped asking.