When to quit

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, May 26, 2014.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 26, 2014

School has our "winter" break in July- three weeks. I'm not 100% sure but I still think we'll get our visa interview for July. We want to leave as soon as we have the visa.

I'm trying to decide when to turn in my letter. You're supposed to give at least a month notice, but I hate my school. They never pay me on time, so why should I give them correct notice?

Option A: Turn it in in mid-June. Give them over a month notice. Leave in pretty good terms with the school and get good recommendation letters. Get a chance to say goodbye to the students and other teachers. Not get paid for July.

Option B: Tell them after I get paid in July (about $1200). Give them about two weeks notice. Leave on pretty bad terms, maybe not be able to get a recommendation letter from my department head. I could still get one from coworkers (though I guess that doesn't hold much weight) and another department head who doesn't work in my department. Not be able to say goodbye to kids or other teachers.

Thoughts?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 26, 2014

Before I even read your options, I was thinking about how your school doesn't pay you on time. I worried instantly that they'd try to not pay you. After reading your options, my opinion really didn't change since you briefly referred to that problem. So I would probably go with option B.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 26, 2014

You are going to need the money when you move. They are not going to like whenever you leave, so go with option B.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 26, 2014

Do these people know you will be moving eventually? Try to get the recommendation letter now if they already know you are going to move at some point so you won't have to ask them about it last minute in case they are disgruntled about the short notice.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 26, 2014

TeacherNY has a good solution. Get the letters now and say that the move is in the works. Hold off on the resignation until you make sure the check clears.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 26, 2014

That is a good idea about getting recommendation letters now...

I guess I could tell the lady that this year will be my last and I want to start applying for schools in the USA and could she write me a letter of rec. Then in July be like "well I'm actually leaving now...!"

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2014

I agree w/ TeacherNY as well. I recently left a job that never paid on time either, gave me 2 bounced paychecks, PLUS I filed a wage claim against them because they still owe me $ & the amount isn't even huge. I still ended things on a good note when I actually left, but didn't want to bother asking them for any rec letter. I just filed the wage claim about 1.5 mos after I left after getting sick of getting the runaround.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 26, 2014

Go with B....US schools aren't going to call Costa Rica for recommendation...you can always ask now for a letter, telling them you are planning on staying for the near future but that you are buildings portfolio for when you do eventually return to the US.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 26, 2014

Did you get your $$ yet Ms.I?? I would be fuming!!

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 26, 2014

I'd wait until it's a 100% sure thing that you are definitely leaving. It would stink to put in a notice only for it to turn out that something happened with your paperwork that will take 6 months to sort out.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2014

Heck no. Today's a holiday, so I couldn't make any phone calls, but tomorrow, I'm calling to see the progress of my claim. Regarding any contact to me from the P's end, she hasn't reached out to me to say squat & she won't because I've contacted her several times in the past via a few methods (direct text to her cell, email, & regular phone) & she never got back to me. She knows I've been trying to reach her. I know she's hoping I'll just forget about it.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 26, 2014

Don't say anything until you get PAID!

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 26, 2014

She's hoping you'll just forget that she owes you money for working? LOL