When to give up?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Dayzee, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Dayzee

Dayzee Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I think I have done everything I could at this point and I have yet to have a single interview. At what point do you just give up and start sending in applications for subbing?

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 31, 2009

Not today dayzee. Not today. Keep the faith and keep trying until all options are exhausted. As many posters have stated and as I have said several times - Many teachers are added even AFTER the school year begins. Keep on trying. Not today.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

If you give up you definitely fail.
    Signing up for subbing isn't a bad idea to fall back on if needed, but definitely keep trying.

Maybe it's time to step up your game. Go into the school. The P's are starting to come back now. Make yourself known.

5. Dayzee

Dayzee Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I'm not completely giving up hope, but I heard from most of the principals that I emailed and they have all said that there is not a single opening in the county. I've just been getting sad knowing that, most likely, this will be the first time in 6 years that I will be sitting home on the first day of school.

Anyway, pity party over. Is it too soon to start applying for sub positions? If I apply for subbing right now, will the districts think that I don't need a FT job and that subbing would suffice for me and ruin my chances?

6. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I'm spring cleaning today, praying, and stopping every so often to call a school, update my questions to ask principals at interviews, and anything else that comes to me by inspiration :)

7. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Go ahead and apply to sub because most places stop taking apps after they have so many. The districts I applied to sub in don't think anything about you being on the sub list and trying to find a ft job teaching. I think they understand especially with things the way that they are. Good luck!!

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Don't ever give up. Even if you do something else for the time, be sure to keep applying and doing everything that you can to do it.

It took me forever to get a job, over two years, but I'm soooooo happy to finally have it.

9. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

In the words of Jimmy V, "Don't give up. Don't ever give up."

If teaching is your passion, calling, what you know you were meant to do... then find a way to do so in whatever you do. We all have dreams of standing in front of our own classroom but there are certainly other teaching opportunities out there as well. You could use your skills working at a library, tutor, training director at a number of corporations, etc. The possibilities are endless and you can always try to go back to the classroom at any time.

I guess what I'm saying is, try as hard as you can to get whatever position you want but don't be afraid to use your skills in unexpected arenas.

10. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

Don't give up! I was offered a teaching job once, 3 weeks after school started due to too many kids. Many schools are waiting due to budgets, there will be a lot of last minute hires-especially after registration. Districts have been known to wait until after the official head count (2-3 weeks after school starts) then after they know how much money they will receive per head, they hire. SO don't give up.
    I plan on emailing all the Ps and letting them know in the event they have too many children I am available! So many districts have the online application, but many Ps don't get the chance to look as HR tends to send them people. BUT if the P has heard from someone and wants to talk to them-they could let HR know about it.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

I agree! Don't ever give up and sub while you are looking. Many districts hire their subs when a permanent position opens!

12. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

Don't give up!!

Get on the sub lists NOW!!!

Many of the districts here are over saturated with teachers.

13. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I would say the same as the others. Get your sub application in while still looking for teaching jobs. You can always turn that down later on if you find something.

14. Dayzee

Dayzee Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

Thank you everyone! Awesome advice with a morale booster bonus.