When to give up for this year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sunshine24, Aug 29, 2013.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

sunshine~the majority of teachers on this board have been in your shoes and know how it feels. It's hard to remain positive through the search. During my search, this board was the thing that got me through it the most. These men and women are so helpful: words of encouragment and wisdom, advice on cover letters and resumes, and suggestions on what to do in the meantime. And there will be times where it's hard to be positive. And even though it's hard to see a position in the future now...it will happen! :hugs:

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

Every so often, a pity party is good for the psyche.

So revel in it--- eat as much ice cream as you want, and watch some chick flicks.

Then get up tomorrow and find more places to apply to.

3. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Sep 3, 2013

Don't give up yet. I was just called for an interview at a charter school for a 5th grade teacher (SS & ELA) position. It's almost a month into the school year. Our schools started on Aug. 14th. I sent an updated cover letter and resume to all my local school districts and have gotten a couple of interviews (out of 70 emails). I did horribly on my first interview a month or so ago. Turned down one interview for a LTS position. I have more prep time for this interview and feel more comfortable. It's tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

Good luck isabunny!

5. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 3, 2013

Thanks again guys! I would feel better if there were at least some positions to directly apply to. But there is such a strict hiring freeze here that there are never any postings. So, it's all "cold" mailing/emailing/school-visits, where nothing seems to come of it :(

Aliceacc: Yes, absolutely a pity party happening here today..just can't help it sometimes!

isabunny: Good Luck!!

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 3, 2013

I'm also on the same boat. Everyone's telling me to not give up, especially the last week before school starts due to getting their budgets. I've cried, had meltdowns, etc. I'm going to continue sending resumes.

7. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

MissPapa: I cannot even tell you how many times I have cried and had major meltdowns this summer! It seems like everytime my hope rises a little, I get knocked down hard by another blow.
    Family/friends keep saying that it will happen too, but at this point I am so desperate for a full time position that I am truly doubting it :( Yesterday, I was so annoyed that I was thinking that I don't even want to sub this year because it is getting me nowhere (although, I will have to if nothing else pops up).
    Good Luck to you in your search :)

8. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

I'm always being told that I will get a job for this year, etc. etc. etc., but it's just not happening. I do not want to sub this year either. I didn't pay money for a masters to be a sub for yet another year...

9. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

MissPapa: Wow, I feel like I am having a conversation with myself lol...I say the same thing about the subbing with a Master's. Financially, I just cannot afford to sub for another year and I feel like nothing is coming out of the subbing. It used to be that you sub for a bit and then ideally, you would land a position somewhere that you subbed. But, now people that I talk to are making careers out of subbing in NYC...there are NO jobs! And I even got my Master's in Spec Ed because I was assured that I would land a job with no problem after that. Well, it still has not happened!

10. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Every interview I have had I received from cold emailing. I just had a pretty good interview today at a charter school for a fifth grade teacher ELA & SS. I think I have a shot. Yeah! I did a pretty good job. I didn't sound like a blubbering fool like I did last time. My interviewing skills are pretty bad. I get so nervous. Didn't sleep at all last night. My head just kept spinning thinking about all the possible questions and answers.

So don't give up! Unexpected openings occur all year long. My son's Middle School just hired three new teachers to accommodate a growth in student population and they started school on Aug. 14th. It's almost a month into school! Keep emailing with Unexpected Openings in the header, a small note addressed to the principal, and your actual standard cover letter and resume in the body of the email and attached. I went down the school list for two of my local districts, charter schools, and private schools.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope I have good news in the next couple of days. :)

11. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Good luck, isabunny! Hope that you get great news really soon :)

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Sunshine - Yup, and I took out an expensive loan!

I hope what everyone is saying is true that they hire all year round for various reasons. Same here. I got a decent amount of interviews, but nobody thinks I'm the right fit. And yes, everyone told me to do special ed for that reason (also I care about students with disabilities and I love teaching them as well!) Even those who have connections and are trying to help me isn't doing it. It came to the point where I'm desperate for answers (sorry for those who were in my post, I am pretty desperate!!!!)

If all else fails, I'm just going to keep sending out resumes.

13. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

I don't think there are any answers, other than the one that addresses how many unemployed and underemployed teachers there are out there.
    Sheilah

14. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

Yes, this site has given me some hope for all year hiring. However, I have never known anyone, personally, who got hired past the summer, so it is a little daunting to think that the window of opportunity has closed again. People within the school system that I know, have also tried to help me, but nothing ever seems to pan out...sometimes I think that people overestimate their own connections lol. I definitely feel your pain...I am so desperate for a job that I can (and sometimes do) burst into tears when thinking about it. The desperation is so overwhelming now that I cannot stand it. I go on my computer all day long to look for jobs (there are none, ever) and I constantly check my email and I am just so depressed when I see nothing. I even will my phone to ring lol..I know it's silly, but that is what it is coming to :(

15. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

I haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but my answer is - never! I was hired in the summer as what was supposed to be the ONLY math opening in our high school. I came to new teacher orientation to see ANOTHER math teacher there, also new. She was just hired the week before, as there was an unexpected leave (a teacher left to move with his wife so she could be closer to med school). And I came to find out that another teacher is leaving to work for ETS, so they are currently interviewing for his job, trying to fill it asap. He was here the past two days, and technically they can make him stay until October 15, but they are looking to fill his position right now.

During new teacher orientation last week, some of the admins had to run out during one of the sessions to go do an interview and on Thursday we had another new teacher to the district! Things happen last minute all the time.

16. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

Oh, I should also add as I have been meeting other teachers at my school I have noticed quite a few women who are pregnant! (Including one in our math department, which means a 4th opening!). So keep looking for those maternity leaves! I know for a fact at my school that they haven't even started looking for her replacement, so that'll be happening mid year.

17. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

mathteacher2: Thanks for the stories of encouragement :)
    I am still keeping my fingers crossed for something to open up this, since school starts on Monday here. The problem with the subbing and maternity leaves is that they come with no health benefits and no guarantees of a job after that. Yes, it will make me more marketable to a school, but I can also end up right back where I am now. I am at the point financially where I can no longer afford to live in the uncertainty that subbing demands.
    I have a few months before I lose my health coverage. I may try to swing the subbing for a bit and pray that I get something full time. But, at some point, I really do think that I am going to have to stop and take any full time job that I can get (non-teaching, most likely) :(

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Sep 7, 2013

Never give up!

Take a long term sub job. Build your résumé. It will happen!

I did two long-term subbing jobs before landing a permanent position after being a SAHM for 8 years. It was hard being a sub after having been a classroom teacher, but it opened doors. You will get references that will help you to land a job. Good luck.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 7, 2013

Just looked on a local education job site. Lots of openings still including part time and leave replacement jobs as well as full time. Keep at it!!

20. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

Rainbowbird: Thanks for the response :) I know that I have to pay my dues with subbing, but after 3 years, the uncertainty of the way subbing works is taking a toll. Financially and benefits-coverage wise, I really cannot afford to sub much longer. Even with a long term coverage/leave replacement, it will unfortunately not guarantee me a full time position after that and too many people who I know have finished long term assigments and then walked away with nothing and are right back at the beginning.

TeacherNY: It's encouraging to see that you are viewing open job posts. Can I ask: are you in the NYC metro area? I know that the site I am told to look on has no postings for any jobs in my area. I never see any leave replacements and definitely nothing full time. It sucks! I am also sending out "cold" emails and snail mail since there is never an actual job posting to reply to.

I really do appreciate all of the encouragement that all of you have given me! It is just soooo daunting when I never see any job posts or hear of anyone getting hired in my area :(

21. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

So after applying to so many public schools and got nowhere, after a lot of encouraging talk from a few important people in my life, I am including charter schools in my pool of schools I'm applying. Need a full-time job asap.

As for subbing, I got an assignment on Friday. Woohoo back to subbing. It's for a special ed class (know the teacher).

22. want2teachsoon

want2teachsoon Rookie

Sep 9, 2013

I don't know if this helps but Connecticut always has a lot of positions for the size of the state. They will let you apply without CT certification. While it is not in NYC it is a state that is close. I noticed that the HR offices there seem to be more relaxed and you don't need as many qualifications to be a Special Ed teacher. The jobs seem to be in the areas that are not rich but I have seen them in both cities and small towns. While I really don't want to take a baby, rent a room and leave my husband I might just have to so as I am writing this I am applying. Good luck! Just remember, everyone wants a young teacher!

23. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

want2teachsoon: I have thought about CT, but the commute is just TOO long for me and I am not willing to relocate, so I think it's out for me. I will look thought in case anything stands out. Good Luck in your search as well :)

MissPapa: I, too, am nowhere with the public schools. I have already sent my resume to a few charter schools in my area, but have bad experiences subbing at them, so I decided to rule them out, despite how much I need a job. One was so bad that I cried when I got home from working there! My sanity would just not be worth it and I have yet to find a decent charter school around my area. I did poke around a few website's for charter's in my district this morning just to see and it seems like they did all their hiring over the summer and are fully staffed at this point.
    I also need a full time job asap and am at my wit's end. I just do not know what to do anymore because I could not possibly try any harder to find a job. I am truly at a loss and am hoping against hope that something unexpected pops up very soon or I will have to re-evaluate my job situation, since I will lose my health coverage in about 6 months. I have been looking for a job for 3 years now...I cannot believe it!
    I'm happy for you that you already got called to sub. I was hoping that I would get a call today (1st day), but I did not. I'm not expecting anything for this week in my district, but you just never know. I know that I need to keep subbing until I figure out what I am going to do regarding a full time job (if a teaching one does not come about), but I really do not want to. I feel like it has been a waste of time and I am getting nowhere. People tell me it is the way of getting into schools, but so far, I have not had anything positive come out of my subbing. It's hard not to think that it is truly just a waste :(
    I did hear that students new to each NYC district could start registering today for their zoned schools, so I am PRAYING that some school's enrollement numbers go up with new students and that maybe, just maybe, they may need to hire even though school started today?! Fingers and toes crossed :) I hope that you are able to find something soon...I know how difficult it is here.

24. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 9, 2013

Replying to opening post (haven't read through thread yet). I certainly would NOT give up.

When I interned in Fall 2012, I applied to several positions in NOVEMBER. The very first interview I was offered a job on the spot, which I turned down because the principal at the school I interned with offered me a position. Shortly thereafter in December, I was called for an interview from one of the apps I put in in November. The same thing happened with another school in February and another school in March.

Then came summer, I applied for like 30 positions closer to home (neighboring districts to the one I taught in), only two asked for interviews. Did not get an offer (I was 8 months pregnant at the time though).

Now I'm on maternity leave, a position opened up last week, I interviewed, and was offered the job Friday--I start at the end of the month.

So in my experience, it was the beginning of the year positions that were harder to come by as far as interviewing and job offers are concerned. It those positions that open up in the middle of the year (and they WILL) due to resignations, early retirements, disciplinary issues that you will have an easier time getting an interview and a likely offer.

That's my experience at least.

25. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

AdamnJakesMommy: Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your experiences :) I am praying that something opens up very soon or in the next few months. If I don't get anything by November/December, I may need to reconsider the teaching field :(

26. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Well...I have one phone interview with one charter school (I visited it before, it's not so bad), and I got a call for another public school, but their phones aren't working :( They said they'd email me if anything (KEEP FINGERS CROSSED!!! Rather have a public school).

Looks like everyone was right, hiring doesn't stop on the first day of school :)

27. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Sunshine24 - you just need to keep applying. I don't know how many meltdowns I have had, but I thank the people who care for me most for their ongoing support. That's what keeps me going even though I am always a mess :)

28. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

MissPapa: I hope that your phone interview goes well. I have nothing against charters just had some bad experiences myself. I also hope something comes up in a public school for you too; it is just a better, more secure environment.
    I have been going through my school lists and found a Catholic school to apply to today, but I have a feeling that the position may have already been filled. I am still holding out hope that something in a public school will open up soon. Trying to be optimistic, but also want to remain realistic. Good Luck!

29. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Sep 10, 2013

I keep holding onto the hope that there will be a para job in special education for me. I feel like sometimes openings come up when they realize how many students they are getting, but >.<; I guess I gotta just hope for the best!

30. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 11, 2013

Have you thought of getting a para job?

31. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 12, 2013

Miss Blue: That is my hope too for hiring teachers, but as the first school week ends, so is my hope. Good Luck in your search!

teresaglass: Yes, I have thought of a para position, but those jobs are also somewhat non-existent in my area as well. I thought that it would be a good way to get my foot into a school and then maybe they would eventually hire me as a teacher. But, from what others have been telling me, principals are not really doing that anymore (because there are no teaching jobs) and they are getting stuck in the para positions. If a para job came my way, I wouldn't turn it down at this point, but I don't see that happening either.

32. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Sep 13, 2013

I have to ask if you are just putting all your eggs in the public school basket? NYC is not hiring public school teachers so why go sub in a public school that will not hire you anyway?

You need to broaden your job search and get away from the public schools. Look at NYSAIS- they have a web site with a job center that posts openings. ( New York State Association of Independent Schools). I work for a school in that association and we hire new teachers every single year. It's a great school too and I know many of the other schools that are in this association are also great.

We've all been there- it's not fun, but you'll find something if you expand your search.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 13, 2013

I gave up on public schools and started to apply to private special ed schools. If you are near NYC I know there are several in Westchester. The paras outnumber the teachers maybe 3 to 1 so there's more of a chance of getting those jobs. Also, at my school they will hire a para if a teacher job opens before posting the job publicly. 5 of our new teachers were once paras. In my area there are 3 such schools so if you find any in your area send in your resumes as soon as possible. They hire year round so you have a good chance.

34. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 13, 2013

jforegolf: Yes, my biggest hope is for a job in the public schools, but I have also been looking at Catholic schools in my area. I had not seen the NYSAIS website---thanks for the heads up :) I do not see any current vacancies for my area, but will keep checking back.

TeacherNY: Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, there are no such schools where I live, but it is encouraging to hear that the schools hire from within (including paras).

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 13, 2013

What part of NY are you in ?

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 13, 2013

It may not be too late. We just got approved for funding to hire a new teacher to reduce overcrowded classes. Someone who is still looking is going to find a job next week!

37. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

You might try private jewish schools.

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

There were 10 new positions posted in my area on Friday; it's only too late when you decide that it is.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

And Lutheran and Society of Friends-- I've gotten offers in the past from both.

The NYSAIS link should probably contain a good mix of all, but then I would also hit google and be as creative as I could with descriptions.

40. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 15, 2013

Thanks for all of the advice :)
    We only have 1 jewish school here, but I did file a resume with them since they have no current positions.
    Same with the Lutheran: we have 2 schools here with no jobs, but both took my resume just in case.

I've also reached out to some old professors to ask for advice and to see if they have heard of any openings. They still have a few contacts in public and Catholic schools here, so I figured it was worth a shot and they said they will immediately let me know if they hear of anything.

Aliceacc: I've never heard of Society of Friends...I will definitely check that out! thanks