When to drop student teaching from resume?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by yellowdaisies, Jan 31, 2017.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 31, 2017

This is my fifth year of teaching, and I'll be applying for jobs for next year. Should I drop student teaching from my resume or keep it? I have two actual teaching jobs on my resume - 2 years in 1st grade and 3 years in 5th. The only reason I'm thinking of keeping it is that it covered grade levels I haven't taught (2nd and 6th), and I want to appear flexible about grade level (because I am). However, maybe 1st and 5th looks flexible enough? ;)
    Thanks!

3. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 31, 2017

I would say keep it! The more experience, the merrier. You can talk about the all the different experiences, student ages, methods, curriculum and lessons you've had and used. You can also reflect upon your strengths and weaknesses, and how you've grown since your student teaching in future interviews.
    :)

yellowdaisies and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 1, 2017

I would keep it if it's relevant to the new job. For example I student taught in grades 6-8, one class was ELD (Newcomers). Since then, 1 year LTS and 4 years English in high school. If I was to apply for a high school job, I'd probably leave off student teaching, but if it was for middle school, I'd leave it on.

MetalTeacher and yellowdaisies like this.
  6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 1, 2017

If you have plenty of room, personally I would keep it on there since it shows you taught different grade levels. I only took mine off last time I was job hunting because by then my "real" teaching jobs had covered everything I did as a ST.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 1, 2017

Thanks for the responses! I think I'll keep it, but there'll be a lot less detail under them since I have a lot to put under my teaching jobs and won't have room.

Unfortunately, they're all elementary pools, not specific jobs. So I guess it's relevant enough, haha. The main district I'm interested in has 6th at elementary in some schools, so that could help since i student taught in self-contained 6th, which is relatively uncommon. Thanks!

I'm definitely about 450 miles from where I student taught, but still in the same state. Still, can't hurt to include it, I guess!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2017

Once you have evaluations and observations to share with potential employers, I would drop the ST. You obviously did well enough on your ST to be employed full time, so it served its purpose. I'm with anon55 on this one. ST and subbing are what you have when you have nothing else. It seems like you are a long way since those days.

anon55 likes this.
  9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 4, 2017

I think I may not have room for it anyway, so that's encouraging to hear. :)

10. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 5, 2017

I've always been told to drop it after you have real teaching experience, but I think leaving a line about the experience itself but dropping any bullet points is a good compromise. Then people looking at resumes know that experience exists and you can elaborate in your interview. That's what I ended up doing when applying for my current job. It was an elementary special ed position but my only full-time teaching experience was middle school gen ed. My student teaching was in special ed and I also had 8 years of working as an aide in a special ed school so I thought it was important for people sorting through resumes to be aware of that.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2017

I would drop it. You have enough experience to make you a viable candidate.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 5, 2017

Some applications will ask for student teaching details. I had to track down the info the last time I applied after teaching for 23 years. They didn't contact anyone of course but it was required on the application.