When to contact cooperating teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ashtrey, May 10, 2006.

1. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 10, 2006

I found out on Monday where I am going to be doing my student teaching in the fall. I really want to meet with the teacher before the school year is over to possibly observe her classroom to get a feel for how she does things. I was wondering if you guys think it is appropriate to contact her now. Also, is there any advice you can give to what else I should ask her or get taken care of now. Curriculum plans, behavior management plans.......????

Thanks so much,
    Ashley:confused:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 10, 2006

I would contact her. Tell her you would like to meet her. Mention how your excited and would like to try and plan a couple units over the summer or something.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 10, 2006

Right, but make sure you tell her whenever it's convienent for her. Right now is a hectic time of year for all the teachers. They're trying to get so much done at this time.

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

May 10, 2006

I would contact her as soon a possible since the year is coming to a close. This will give the cooperating teacher enough time to find time you you to come in and see the classroom.

6. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 11, 2006

I called the school today and I left a message with the secretary for my CT.

I'm getting nervous.....Any other last minute advice or tips...

Thanks so much,
    Ashley

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 11, 2006

I heard a CT talking to another teach in our school out about her student teacher. The student teacher would just stand around. Make sure you are looking around and helping students that need help. Not just standing there. If the teacher needs help jump in and help without being asked to.

8. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 11, 2006

Thanks again. I would love to hear all pet-peeves teachers have had with student teachers. I am just really nervous that I am not going to do a good job.

Anywho, I did get to speak to my CT today, I am going to "hang-out" in her class for a day in a couple of weeks. She sounds extremely nice :) I can't wait!!

Ashley

9. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 11, 2006

I found out today who my ST will be for the fall. I'll be calling her this weekend.

Better to get the ball rolling!

Kelly :)

10. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Jun 3, 2006

Definitely get in touch with your CT. It is so important to start off on the right foot. Get an idea of her expectations now, so you won't have to do it later. Be prepared!

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, and it will show that you are interested.

12. kermy

kermy Companion

Jun 4, 2006

I was told to wait about a week to make sure that the CT knows that your coming. But good luck!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 4, 2006

The end of the year is a hectic time, as others have said, so don't be too surprised if your CT can't meet with you or have you visit the room.

I've worked w/ 4 CT's in the past & I personally have never met w/ them before I started. I think w/ 3 of them either me or them have sent an email to the other. So if all else fails, send an email. Some may think emails are too impersonal, but I love them because people are usually at their leisure when reading/typing them & eveything's in writing for future reference.