when to change jobs?!?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brejohnson88, Jun 21, 2012.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jun 21, 2012

I have been a special education early childhood teacher for the last 2 years. I love the kids I have and I love my classroom. it is excatly everything ive ever wanted. However, I have some issues with my boss listening to me and just not seeing eye to eye on stuff. She thinks im a great teacher- she gives me excellent reports everytime i get my evaluations. However, she never comes by and doesnt really seem to care. She showed up to a meeting once when i was asking for a personal aide for a child and gave her advice on a child without knowing anything about them! After being legally over my numbers this year and not getting any relief, I finally decided I deserve better. I applied to a job in a nearby district. Unfourtantly it was already filled.

I get a call today from a priniciapl in a nearby district and was wondering if I would be interested in an opening. She doesnt know if I am qualified to teach it, however told me she would check and we set up a time on monday to talk. when would you decide to change jobs? Would it be only a money issue or would it be if your truely happy or not? I am happy, but not 100 percent. I know if i do get offered this position, i would make more money, not sure on how much. my friends husband told me never accept a new job offer unless you make 30 percent more...but this is the education field and that cannot be true for this field. any advice?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

In this economy, if I had some security in my job, I would not switch jobs unless it was my dream job that I was moving to. However, I think that if you are considering switching positions, it is worth it to at least interview and then make your decision when you know a little more.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jun 21, 2012

very good point mopar. I am still not sure what type of certificate i need in IL to teach developmental kindergarten. I have a rare degree (type 04) so if that degree is needed to teach this position then I would be hard to cut unless they completly did away with the program. I dont think this would be my dream job, but I am not sure how much longer I can deal with things or how much longer my school will be opened (we only have 350 students total)

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2012

I am changing jobs for next year. It was a tough decision because I had a pretty much guaranteed position at my previous school, and of course in this economy part of me felt like I should hold on to that. For me, the biggest reason was that although I loved my students, I didn't see myself staying there long term, and again, with the economy I know it can be harder for teachers with lots of experience to get new jobs.

My main reasons:
    1. Hated the location- I relocated for this job quite simply b/c it was the only one I could find and I needed to start somewhere. I ended up in a ski resort town, and I don't ski. I met some nice people and I guess I'm lucky that I made friends at all moving 1200 miles away without knowing a soul, but there is a one-track-mindset here and I just don't fit into it. Everyone is OBSESSED with the outdoors and skiing- two things I've never really been interested in. No shopping, no restaurants, a 9 month winter with no snow days/being expected to drive in blizzards, and having even the most basic amenities being 60-120 minutes away is just not my thing.

2. Our sped department was horribly disorganized and the people running it knew nothing. I did not feel respected as teacher at all within the department. They were constantly changing rules halfway through the year and expecting us to redo everything constantly- very low morale within the department.

3. I've really always wanted to teach gen ed (even though I knew that was kind of a pipe dream in this economy) and I knew there was absolutely no chance of that happening in my former district. When we were interviewing for a title 1 position, my boss almost didn't want to interview a candidate b/c her resume showed her teaching title 1 for awhile and then moving to 2nd grade. My boss took this to mean that she wasn't good at interventions- her exact words were, "If I have somebody that rocks at interventions, I would never, ever let them go into a generic classroom position that I could find anybody for." I even tentatively suggested that maybe the candidate asked for the position switch/wanted to try the classroom, and she just repeated that a "good principal" would never allow that to happen- so my answer was pretty much right there. I expected to maybe start in sped somewhere else that might allow me to move in the future- when I was offered a gen ed job right off the bat, of course I jumped at it.

4. Sped teachers are very in-demand in my state. The state universities don't offer sped as an undergraduate major- you would have to go back to grad school to get it, so there aren't a lot of people certified. My state is pay for performance and offers very little if any extra pay for having a masters, so there isn't much incentive to get one unless you're really interested in teaching in a new subject area. Out of 100 people in our sped department, literally none of them were from this state originally. In short, I pretty much knew I wouldn't have a hard time finding something else- even if it was still in sped, I could at least look for a district with a better program and in a better location. My new job isn't as secure at all- as a first year (to the district) gen ed elementary teacher, I'm pretty disposable. But for the exact job I've always wanted, it was worth it. Worst case scenario, I get cut at the end of the year and find another job somewhere else- no worse off then when I started.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2012

I say go for the chat on Monday and if you are qualified for it, make a list of pros and cons for each job. In the end, only you can decide for sure which job is best for you, but I know that at the point where I am now (teaching for 9 years, 8 in my current district) I would never leave because of my tenure status and being halfway to longevity pay. If you choose to leave, I think its better to do it earlier in your career than later.