When to call?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Jul 7, 2009.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Last week as I was unpacking from our move from FL to TN I got a call from a P to come in for an interview on Wed. The interview went well, I thought. He seemed to like that I come from Broward County with the diverse cultures and that I had experience teaching students with diverse backgrounds. I asked when he'd be making his decision and he said on Monday afternoon, he'd call the candidates. I thought that meant he'd call everyone to let them know but maybe it meant he'd call just the one's that had the job. There were two interim openings--1st and 3rd. Anyway, no call yesterday. :( Obviously I won't call or email today because maybe it took him longer to make his decision and he'll call today. If I don't hear anything today, s it okay if I follow up with the P on Wednesday?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

yes, absolutely!

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

yes

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Great! Thanks! I just didn't want to appear too desperate (although I'm getting there). : )

Now the question is, what do I say? "I'm still very interested in the vacancies that I interviewed for on xyz date and I was wondering where you were in the hiring process?"

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

Yes, I would call or email and say, "I interviewed for two interim positions last week. I was wondering if a decision had been made at this time." Probably with the holiday weekend, he was unable to get around to calling. Think positive until you hear otherwise. :):):)

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

I agree! Good luck!!!!

8. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I just sent a follow up email the other day and I am glad I did because it gave me some renewed hope. I would say "I am still very interested in this position and look forward to hearing from you soon" or something like that. Definitely follow-up.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

I agree!

10. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Now my question is to call or to email? I think the P gave me his personal number to call him (he'd left me a message to set up the interview)...Should I call that number or the school number or just email?? This is a yr round school and teachers are due back next week, I think.

Also what is the process...the p's make the decision then do they offer the job to the candidate or do they have to go through HR to make sure that candidate's paperwork is in place then ask the candidate?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

Oh, if he gave you his personal number, by all means use it!!!

12. smalltowngal

Jul 7, 2009

Call!! And most of the time P's recommend to HR. Then you get approved by the school board and all paperwork is filled out then.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I would call too.

But just remember, they probably need to call references before they offer the job. There is a good chance the referring person is out for the holiday or on vacation. This would hold things up.

Then they can offer the job to someone. But if that person is trying to negotiate with them, or maybe has another position they are holding out for, the school might be willing to wait for the person's decision. They don't want to call everyone else yet, because if that person says no, then they might go down the list. Also, that person could also be on vacation or something like that...

It really can take a long time for them to make that call sometimes...

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks, everyone!! :) I feel much better. Would they still call references if there has already been a reference sheet filled out by that person and mailed in by that person?

I'll call in the AM and see what is going on. I just want to know something definitive. : )

15. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 8, 2009

I called this morning. I actually called the school and spoke to the secretary. I had called his personal number and got his voicemail. I didn't want to leave a message and I know you can learn a lot by speaking to the secretary. She told me that he was still interviewing and had not made a decision. Now what do I do? I guess I'll wait a couple of days and then call or email? At least it isn't a "NO!"

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2009

Yes, secretaries can be very helpful! I hope you hear good news soon :D

17. smalltowngal

Jul 8, 2009

Hoping for good news!

18. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 8, 2009

Thanks, leigh and STG! : )

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

Best wishes to you

20. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

I wanted to update you all: After no response to my email, I decided to call the school again today. The positions have been filled. I'm bummed...I got upset...cried...and now I'm hopeful that there is something out there for me...right around the corner. This job searching is hard work...I feel like my self esteem is getting chipped away little by little.

21. smalltowngal

Jul 13, 2009

:hugs: I'm so sorry.

22. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 13, 2009

You'll find something soon, just keep on looking and don't give up hope!!!! It sounds like you're doing everything right!! (Following up and PERSISTENCE!) Just keep it going exactly as you are!

Good luck.I know it's very frustrating, but don't give up! There is a perfect dream job out there for you!

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

:hugs:

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

I'm sorry. Job searching is mentally and emotionally exhausting!

25. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Thank you, Everyone, for your encouraging words and hugs! Good news is that I looked at the county school website and there are three new job postings! Maybe one of those will be the ONE! : ) Year round schools are registering this week and will begin next week so hopefully there will be an influx of new students and they'll need more teachers.

I feel like I have multiple personalities...one minute crying and the next minute rejuvinated and ready to go at it again!

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you l8ybugmom!

27. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

sorry, I hope that you find something soon. You can have one day to feel down, then pick yourself up and get going again.

28. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Thanks, Jessica and DHE! Only one day to be down? LOL!
    : ) I'm just kidding. I think I honestly just need a hour or so and possibly a good cry then I'm good.