When to apply...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissWull, Dec 5, 2007.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 5, 2007

I was wondering when to start applying to school districts. I will complete my credential classes at the end of January, and then I will be able to apply for my credential. I've heard from some student teachers that they will be applying early (before they complete classes)...is that a smart idea? I know I can't be considered until my application is complete, but should I start the process?

Also, after applying for the Preliminary credential...how long does it take for everything to go through?

3. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Dec 5, 2007

You can be hired before you even finish classes (I was)--you just can't teach without some form of license. A year and a half ago I talked to someone who waited until she was out of school for the summer to start her job search, and she regretted it extremely because jobs had already been snapped up. Since you're finishing classes in January, waiting until that's over is probably OK for you, but I wouldn't wait on everything to be completely processed. Licensing offices move at a glacial pace.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2007

My sister needed one class to finish before getting her certification. She went ahead and applied in March, went to a job fair in May, and got hired at the end of May. They hired her because she would have her cert before school started.

5. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 6, 2007

I finish my student teaching tomorrow. I've already applied at the school district where I used to work as an aide and one other one. I'm working on applications for two others now.

6. Graduating '08!

Graduating '08! Rookie

Dec 6, 2007

I graduate in May and just went to a job fair this past weekend..and was hired! In my area you sign a 'letter of intent' and after your official graduation you sign the official contract. But I have a job waiting for me...go for it!

7. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Dec 12, 2007

Really applying at any time CAN'T hurt you. It shows that you are actively interested. Most principals tend to know more about the following school year around the spring. Around March or April is when most principals know what positions may be open, or even that they will have an opening. For example, I interviewed for a "general elementary" position. The principal knew that several people were leaving, but didn't know how he was going to shuffle around his current staff, so he was just interviewing teachers to fill in later.
    Overall, I think the BEST time is early spring, but can't hurt to at least make contact early. Then, come spring, your name is familiar!

8. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Dec 15, 2007

I was also hired before I actually graduated, and I know others who were hired even earlier in the year, when they had just started student teaching. So it definitely doesn't hurt to apply early! On the other hand, schools continue to hire throughout the summer, as more positions open up unexpectedly, so you don't HAVE to apply early in the year to get a job for the next school year.

9. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Dec 15, 2007

I went on a few interviews before I graduated in May. I went on several more in June. However, the job I have now I interviewed for about 3 days after graduation and accepted at the end of June. I definitely got more replies to cover letters/resumes and applications in May and June than I did in March or April. Though, many of those replies were from packets I sent out in February and March! The job I have now though I sent a resume via email one week before graduation (the same day that they first posted the available positions), they called me about 3 hours later, scheduled an interview for 3 days after graduation, and offered the the job about 3 weeks later...I have to say that it definitely helps to send out your resume/cover letter early on. I did get several replies. It just so happens the one that I applied for later in the spring was the one that I took!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2007

In California, your university is now required to submit your application electronically. I got my credential within ten days or so of when it was submitted.

Apply now so you have a shot a mid year openings. Schedules for the spring semester get juggled based on who showed up and what they took during the fall semester. Sometimes schools have to add a teacher. Sometimes they have to replace one who decides to retire at year end. Sometimes you can land a long-term sub position until the end of the school year. Hiring for next fall won't start until March or April, and a lot of hiring is done during the summer and even after the start of the school year after requirements become clear to the administrators.

Check out EdJoin. A lot of California districts are using it to post jobs and take applications on-line. FWIW I posted my application for one district toward the end of summer and got three calls within hours of posting.