When to and not to abbreviate on a resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RobertTexasMath, Feb 5, 2013.

1. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 5, 2013

Are there any general rule of when it is and when it is not acceptable to abbreviate on a resume.
    For instance
    B.A. vs. Bachelor of Arts
    A.P. vs. Advanced Placement
    U.S. History vs. United States History

Thank you

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2013

I've only abbreviated my degrees.

4. redtop

redtop Companion

Feb 5, 2013

You can always abbreviate degrees, titles, etc. as part of your name, for example, John Doe, M.A. In the "education" section I wouldn't abbreviate the name of the degree though.

If the meaning is obvious within your industry, it's fine to abbreviate. It's a fine line. In my business, Incurred But Not Reported is the biggest thing I do, but I would always call it IBNR. But while I might say that I did a lot of work on medical malpractice insurance, I would call it "medmal" in an interview but not shorten it on a resume.

Actually, I think that on my resume, I say I have a "B.A." but then I spell out "Fellow, Casualty Actuarial Society" - even though anyone with the tiniest interest in hiring me will know what an FCAS is.

A lot of stuff is judgment call. My business card says "Redtop, FCAS, MAAA, ARM, CEBS" but I would never put that long list of letters at the top of a resume.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 5, 2013

I'd abbreviate degrees and "U.S. History" (whether I would capitalize "history" would depend on whether I'm discussing content or a course). As to the rest, it's hard to answer in general.