When they say "driver's license required ..."

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sarge, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Do they also mean car?

For a few administrative jobs I've seen posted, I've seen that.
    I have a car. Three actually. I'd just like to be able to take public transportation or bike to work. And in the Bay Area, the difference might be 45 minutes on BART or Amtrak vs a hour or two on the freeway.
    So then, can they require a school administrator to have his or her own private vehicle at work?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2016

I can see where having a car as an administrator would be helpful, but not required. Your hours would vary greatly sometimes, and I don't know how available public transportation is in your area early in the morning or late at night (there is none here during those hours).

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 22, 2016

I would think it just means driver's license. Maybe these districts have pool vehicles? Are they small or large districts? I know of one small nearby district that had an administrator assigned to two different sites, so maybe it is a situation like that?

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

I agree with much of what's above, but would like to add: our principal attends meetings at the district building and various other places relatively often, so they'd probably be making sure that that is possible, as well.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2016

All of the teacher applications I've filled out have said that. I assume they mean for identification purposes. Teachers aren't allowed to transport students anyway, so actually having a car would be irrelevant for the job. I don't think they really care how you are getting to work.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2016

And just when I thought I had no response, I get home from a grad class where the instructor, an administrator, commented that he would never want a teacher to take on the responsibility for transporting a student, and if a student did need to be transported, that would be the administrator's responsibility to drive. Who knew?

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 22, 2016

Like a previous poster said, our admins often have meetings at central office during the week. The meetings don't usually take the whole day, so having your own vehicle on campus really helps.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2016

They didn't say car, so they didn't ask for one. Worst case scenario, you can expense a rental?

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 22, 2016

All of our job postings list a valid driver's license on them. This is new this year. I think, for us, it means that there is a lot of driving. We are a rural division and they must have been getting applications from people who don't have a way to actually get to the schools. (no public transportation out here!!)