When they ask for a salary...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsSinNOLA, Jul 11, 2008.

1. MsSinNOLA

MsSinNOLA Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I've been applying all kinds of places all over the country and I keep getting a question that I don't know how to answer. I get the question "expected salary". I'm applying to a Catholic school, and I know they traditionally pays less, but I can't find any guidelines like you could with a public school teacher. I've taught for three years and I have my Master's degree, so I'm not a brand new teacher. I don't want to write an amount so high that they just dismiss me, but I want to be paid for my experience and degree (I got a lot of loans just like everybody else...oh to be independently wealthy.) Any advice? TIA

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 11, 2008

I just write "negotiable." I don't want to set myself up too high or too low. It gives the abilitiy to discuss if you get that far.

4. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I have been teaching for eleven years and just moved to a new state. Back in May I had a great interview with a new charter school that is opening this fall.

The principal called to asked the salary question, and I gave him a range. I did go lower than I wanted, but I was pretty much certain I wouldn't get paid what I was getting in my former district. He said that was still too high and I was totally bummed. They never did give me an offer.

I am glad they didn't though, because I had 2 great offers. One was from a charter school and the one I took is in a school district which grants teachers all fo ther years of experience on the salary schedule.

I think you should think honestly about the salary range that is livable for you. Trust me, I know we all need to pay the bills, but sometimes it pays off to hold out a bit.

Good luck!!!! The job will come when it's meant to!

5. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jul 11, 2008

From a general career guide, they say that we should answer "whatever the company thinks is appropriate." I don't know about that. We don't want to be gypped!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

My claim is that since I haven't lived in this state very long I'm not sure of the cost of living. It has gotten me out of a few binds this way, plus I simply ask for their salary range and (usually) can act pleasantly surprised.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2008

That is a great answer!

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

In most cases (even private schools), there is a scale. When I interviewed for my current position, they asked me about salary, and I told them that I was aware it was a private, non-profit, educational organization, and that I was looking to make something along the lines of a first-year public school teacher. They laughed and gave me a range, then eventually offered about $5,000 more than I was expecting when I answered the question. To be honest, I was coming from a center where I made $8 / hour, so I was thrilled with the offer! I esentially tripled my salary when I took this job!

9. MsSinNOLA

MsSinNOLA Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I took your advice. I wrote negotiable.

So, I went on the interview today and they offered me something I can't live on. Oh well. 26,500 is not a livable wage for a single person in my city.

Too bad.

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

I wish I would have wrote that I just applied at a Christian school and wrote about 10 thousand under what the city pays teachers. UGGH

11. MsSinNOLA

MsSinNOLA Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Mine was 14k below! UGGH is right.

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

ouch!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2008

Been looking for this....

Ok, here is my take on the subject.

First, it is really unfair when they advertise one salary, and get you in, and then change it. I had that happen to me twice, and all they would say was, "It was a typo!" :eek: No, that is called bait and switch!

Second, they do have a range.. It is a game that we really shouldn't have to play. Like buying a car, or a house. Or am I the only one who hates doing that? :confused: Why not just say, the salary is $45,000, plus benefits. If you have a MA, it's $1,500 more.

Yes, that's what I expect to earn. I had it before and can't look back. I guess that is my problem. :unsure:

Head Start jobs offered $40-45,000 to Master Pre-K teachers in my area. The Chicago Public Schools starts teachers at $46,751 this year! The suburbs? $34-38, depending on experience (DOE). The public schools have a step and lane. Step 1, Lane 1 means first year, with BA degree. Union dictates salary. For every 15 cr hours you earn, or higher degree, whichever comes first, you get an increase. You also should (I repeat...should) get credit for every solid year of teaching.

Charter schools, I have learned, pay considerably less. Also, we must take into consideration that there are union dues, ($50 per month) and employee share of benefits, and of course, the teachers retirement. That will take a good $1,500 or more out of your check per year. I know, it's our money, but I need it now!

I keep hearing, take a job, any job..it's better than nothing. But in reality, it isn't. You are underemployed, with the same amount of expenses, and you must make your income go further. That puts me further in debt. And, let's not forget that we spend a large amount of money on classroom supplies, copies, and every day stuff to make our jobs easier. Sometimes we are reimubrsed, usually not much. Taxes only give us $250...and btw... pre-k teachers are not allowed this luxury! (I claim it anyway! :mad:)

And then, we should consider our background and skills. You spend all this time and money working on your education, and specialization. Why shouldn't you get paid what you are worth?

So, I have read and understand the art of negotiation means that you give them a range, and hope they meet it, secretly without you giving away what you really want.

They like you, and call and say..."I would like to offer you the position of teacher. You say, really, that sounds wonderful. (and pause!) They say, the starting salary is $32k. My response? "I see. Well, I realize I was earning much more in the federally funded program, but I was hoping for a range of at least $35-40." (I earned $40, so I know they won't give me that) They say, "Well, let me talk it over with supt, and get back to you."

I have to wait.

They call back, "Ok, I think we have something we can all work with. If you can show proof of your 15 hours over your degree, and that you are currently enrolled in a MA program, we are ready to offer you $37,000."

And I say, "Would you be willing to let me leave at 3:00 pm (kids leave at 2:30) instead of 3:30 once a week for my class?" (because now they are making salary contingent on my grad class, so THEY have to accomodate me!) Get it writing I say, along with oral agreement! If they hesitate, I offer to come in earlier.

See, I did not get $40k, but I sure as heck wasn't taking $32k. I gave them a range, and they found a way to justify it, which was a good reason...because I do have the education and they want me to continue my studies.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

I agree with this... :)

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2008

Ok so now, I get this interview, and a test, and they give me the background check and drug test.

Uh, excuse me, but doesn't a background (fingerprinting) check and drug test equal a job offer?? :confused:

Now at this place, I never asked about salary!

So when they keep saying, "How soon can you start? I have to ask, well what is the salary range?"

Oh, new teachers make about $14 an hour, but you should get more.

What the heck is more? "Can somebody tell me about how much?"

Oh, everyone is at lunch, but you have to get this drug test within 24 hours (24 hours of what? I never heard an offer!)

So now what???

:(

I want a job, but I want something that is feasible, substantial, and will fill my gas tank!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

They made me an offer... for $15 an hr.

I said, I can't accept anything less than $20. They said they would call me back.

I looked at the whole picture. I mean, people are getting laid off left and right. Companies are closing. But I can't afford to drive halfway across town for less money! There are lots of people who would be happy to get any job right now.

But it has to be something I can live on!

17. MsSinNOLA

MsSinNOLA Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Oh that's just awful. Sometimes it just feels like a slap in the face, huh? I felt that way with the original school I posted about on this thread. The economy ain't so hot, and schools are like everything else in the world, scrimp and save! Maybe I should offer like, a rebate or a coupon to entice principals. "Amazing Teacher-10% discount for three months service". Wouldn't that be an attention getter!

For now, I'm left jobless, in a lurch because I want to move but I don't have a job yet. So now, I'm 8 hours from my dream districts, and trying to find something that will pay the bills so I can get an apartment and be gainfully employed. I just want what I deserve! Is that too much to ask? (Apparently so). I'm going on a job hunting expedition next week and I'm going to try to get my face in there so maybe they'll FINALLY call me!!

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

Yeah, I hear you. I've been staying in this week, saving gas and postage. Never been out of work this time of year. Hopefully, principals and superintendents are back in the office now, busy like bees, buzzing in their hives...and will soon be calling us!!