When the school building is open on Saturdays....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 20, 2010

We don't have keys, so we are locked out on the weekends. Once in a blue moon admin will come in and let us work for the day. I love the chance to get in there and putter, but I hate how they always wait until 4 pm on a Friday to tell us! Ugh...

But anyway, when you're able to get in on a Saturday, do you go in? I'm really looking forward to a few hours at school, a nice nap, 2 days of school, then a nice clean, organized room after Thanksgiving break :thumb:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2010

The schools are locked tight all weekend--working on a Saturday or Sunday is never an option.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2010

We have keys to our school building. It's a private school. As a result, I can go in whenever I want/need to. I do occasionally go in on the weekends, but not as much as I did when I first started teaching.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 20, 2010

This

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 20, 2010

We are only able to go in on the weekends for 1 hour during the winter...something to do with our old boiler in the school. We also don't have keys so we have to beg our principal to borrow his.

7. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 20, 2010

At my school, we have keys so we can go in anytime. I can't imagine not being able to do this. I go in for a few hours most Saturdays to prepare for the following week. Since I live close to the school, it's easier for me to do this than to lug everything home to plan.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 20, 2010

We have key cards to get in. I don't go in. It's to scary to be in the big building all by myself.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2010

We have keys to get into the school, so we can go in whenever; however, I hate going to school on the weekend. It's just not where I want to be on a Saturday or Sunday. I am not sure I have ever gone to the school on a weekend, except to do tutoring. Other than that, I don't want to see my classroom until Monday.

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 20, 2010

Everyone has keys and can go in anytime they want. I have run by at all hours of the day and quite frequently, there is someone else there working.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2010

We have keys ..I usuallly go in on Sundays ..its nice to get work done with out ANY inturptions! It makes my week so much easier because I run all my copies and set the room up so Im not rushing around on Monday. Last week I had to do Progress Reports so I was in for almost 4 hours ..usually its only 1-2.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2010

We have keys as well so we can go in whenever we want to.

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2010

We can go any time we want, but the 1 time I tried, I set off the alarm, and I'm too chicken to ever try again! ;)

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2010

Only the department chair has keys and the alarm code. We just switched chairs, and the new one might actually go in on the weekend once in a while--I'm going to ask her to let me know if and when she is, because I'd love a few hours to putter.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 20, 2010

Our school is almost always open on weekends/holidays/summer. The alarm system is turned off and on remotely by phone, so the principal can control it from home.

I go in a few times a year on a Saturday or Sunday to work. Usually it's when I have to clean, rearrange desks, or switch out units.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2010

Ditto!
    Summers too!

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 20, 2010

We all have keys, so we are able to go in whenever we want. I'll be up there a few days this break. I planned on going in yesterday, but had too much to do. I'll go up and clean/organize, finish lesson plans, decorate for Christmas, and put our new turtle in the tank (the other didn't survive my neighbor's child.) I'm lucky, our school is completely safe and feels safe. We have one master switch for all the hallway lights. Our nurses's office stays lit all the time, so you never go in with the building completely dark. I went up at 11:30 the other night because I was paranoid I had left a candle burning after parent conferences. (I hadn't, of course, but would have worried all night!)

18. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Nov 20, 2010

Soon, I'll have a swipe card and will be able to access the building on the weekends. I would like to do it once to clean out my closet and organize, but I doubt I'd make a habit of it. I put in 12-15 hour days, I need my weekends to decompress and regroup!

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2010

We have keys also and can go in. But it's a little scary if you're there late and it's dark out. It feels like a fishbowl because everyone can see inside if you're walking through the front hallway, but you can't see out.

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 20, 2010

We have keys and can go in whenever. My first year teaching I was there ALL the time. 2nd year, not so much and by the time I had my daughter I am never in there on the weekend.

21. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Nov 20, 2010

We all have keys and have been given the alarm code and shown how to use it; we can go in whenever we want to. It is a bit scary being there by myself, but I make do. It also gets cold over the weekend, since the main system is shut down. I try to not go in on weekends or over breaks, but sometimes you just need to get things done! :)

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2010

We are currently working without a contract. There is NO way I would go in.

23. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Nov 20, 2010

Never an option to go in on the weekends! Our school has an alarm and only the custodians and administrators know it. I like the fact that we cannot go in on weekends because I will probably live there all the time since there is sooooooo much to do.

However, it is open during the summer so I go in about once a week unless I am away on vacation.