When the principal doesn't show up for your interview...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by substeacher, Jul 21, 2016.

1. substeacher

substeacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2016

A principal sent me an email asking me if I'd like to come in to interview for a job on a certain day at a certain time. I emailed back the same day and told him I would. When I showed up for the interview, he wasn't there. The secretary told me that job interviews had been conducted the day before and that the principal had seemingly mistakenly scheduled me and at least two other people to interview on the wrong day. Has anything like this ever happened to anybody else?

3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 21, 2016

I had one like that where they scheduled me on a day where the principal was on vacation. Never heard back from that district.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

Now we know why it is best to make call backs while in your office, with the calendar in front of you. Better yet, let the secretary make the calls - they work very hard to make sure these kind of things don't happen!

MLB711 likes this.
  5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 21, 2016

My mom was a secretary for a long time...in many cases they are the real MVPs. :)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

My favorite sign, behind my favorite secretary's desk:

Do you want to speak to the principal
    OR
    to the woman who really knows what is going on? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  7. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 21, 2016

I had the HR Director for the school district tell me that my interview was on Tuesday July 23rd, except July 23rd was a Wednesday. Tried for a week to get ahold of her and she was on vacation. Tried to call the school office and no answer there. I showed up on Tuesday and actually got the job, after waiting an hour for the principal to leave her principals meeting and the department chair to get done picking tile at Lowes for her new kitchen lol.

ktmiller222 likes this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2016

Everybody is *ALWAYS* on vacation or "out of the office at the moment" when you need to talk to them! Seriously start tallying in your daily life. Like 10 am on a Tuesday morning during a regular work week? DA F? And this happens in EVERY profession. It gets a little bothersome. Why don't you tell me when Mr. Jones is actually IN his office?! Does he even exist? LOL :rofl::toofunny:

teacher16 and luv2teach444 like this.
  9. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jul 22, 2016

absolutely drives me crazy

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016

And honestly: I don't care who you are (principal, Super, POTUS), respect my time and I'll respect yours! If you want ME to answer your email quickly, I expect the same from you. If you expect ME to show up to a meeting at a certain time, I expect the same from you. Why are you any different simply because you're in a position of authority? In my opinion, there should be more pressure on YOU to be the role model. If you're the Principal and you are strolling in at the bell, that's a BAD sign to me regardless of the "reasons." We all have our "reasons" for why we do what we do, but we're still expected to adhere to rules of behavior. It's just common courtesy and human decency.

:mad:

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2016

Devils Advocate: Could he be strolling in at the bell because he will still be there at 6, 7, or later that evening? I know my Principal has to stay for meetings that make her departure time hours past mine. How can I begrudge her arriving at the bell? Those with the most power also have the greatest demands on their time, but if you thought about it for a moment, you would know that. Just a thought.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016

Full disclosure: :warning: I know what an arrogant pri** I sound like (and am) in this post. "Wow that guy sounds like a know-it-all, judgmental jack ass!" For sure! I am who I am. But, we all know how annoying it is when we're stood up or put in a position where it's treated as if we don't matter. But if we do it, all Hell breaks loose! Once or twice, no biggie. Life happens. But if it's habitual, something needs to change. Double - standards are crap!

Like I said, we all have our "reasons." And trust me I know how busy everyone is... And to play Devil's Advocate to your Devil's Advocate: I had a principal who did all that too (AND MORE since our AP had quit mid- year so she was taking on double- duty) and yet she still managed to show up to work at a decent time and was ready to go. And she was way more helpful.
    How you handle things shows and says a lot about you. And again: it's all about respect. If I'm at the meeting ready to go, why aren't you? Because if I show up late, I get chewed out, but if you do, it's not really a big deal? What is that crap? I'm just saying, in my own situation, how can you dictate all these things to/ from us and then not hold yourself to the same standard? Don't show up at all, I don't care. I can still get my job done without you being there. Surprisingly teachers (educated professionals) still know how to do what needs to be done with or without supervision. And we had A LOT of times where she wasn't there. But when I do it... I get the calls and emails about why I'm not at work and that she wants a response ASAP. It happened.
    That's when my BS meter goes off! ;):rofl:

You get what you give in life.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  13. Jax123

Jax123 Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

That's hilarious!

vickilyn likes this.
  14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2016

And true!