When the grade book (or teacher) fails to save grades

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

Pure vent here.

The end of the term was Friday, and final grades are due tomorrow. I brought some grading home with me, and as I'm watching X-Files and putting in some math scores, I realize that the big math test I did last week, already graded and passed back... has a total of 4 student scores when I swear up and down I entered every single grade.

Gah. There's no way I can recover that data without giving the test again. Sigh. And it was big information, too.

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Mar 16, 2016

Can you ask for the tests back from the students?
    I always keep assessments in my file cabinet for various reasons. Can you keep future assessments to prevent this from happening again?
    I'm surprised none of the kids said anything.
    What you could do is put a zero in the grade book and wait for the kids to come rushing to you with their tests.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

I do put zeros in, but if I fail to hit "save" regularly, it's no good. With this particular program, I need to save every five minutes. I've has many times where I'm entering grades only to find the program had effectively logged itself out for security reasons and I have to enter everything again. I could ask for them back, but a group of second graders who have already taken their work home... I'd doubt I'd get a high return and definitely not in time to get them on the term I prefer. So... Alas and a lesson for me.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2016

This has happened to me, too. My district switched to a new web-based gradebook software a while back. Sometimes the internet connection goes down without warning or notice, so it seems like everything is fine until you go back in later and discover all your grades gone. It's a mess. It's also a great reason to hang onto student work instead of passing it back.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 16, 2016

Can you just strike it from the gradebook?

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

I did so. I already had enough material for a fair grade and I can always retest for my own knowledge later, but I just wanted that grade on that term...:confused:

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

What's ironic is that I rarely pass stuff back so soon! Then the one time...

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

I always check and double check to make sure things saved. This has happened to me a couple of times. So frustrating!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Backroads likes this.
  10. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Mar 18, 2016

May I ask what program you are using? It sounds like progressbook, but I'm not sure if that's it?

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 18, 2016

Aspire

12. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Mar 19, 2016

That has happened to me soooo often. Thankfully at my school we have test folders for all of my students to get their tests signed. I have had to pull at least 3 assignments from test folders bc I didn't write down the grades.
    It's incredibly frustrating. I know what you mean! Glad you found a way to resolve the issue though.

Backroads likes this.