When the answers are obvious...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ms_chandler, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 9, 2008

I teach 7th grade English. We usually do exercises together or I call on each during activities. Very seldom do we do worksheets. I just find that kids glaze over at that point and some just write down anything. This brings me to my point...

We are currently reading a novel (Tangerine by Edward Bloor), and I made up questions to go along with it. They are answering them individually. The kids know that I don't give away answers. However, I feel like these answers are pretty obvious. In times like this, do you still review answers? I don't want to seem unfair, but I also don't want to send the message, If you get lazy, I'll give the answers away. This is especially dangerous at this point in the year!

Thanks!

3. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Apr 9, 2008

I just completed The Odyssey with my ninth grade learning support class. I created comprehension questions (ranging from multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and personal response). They had to complete them for each Book. Some questions I went over--or warned them the answer was coming up or we had just read it. So, I did a hit-and-miss approah. I collected them along the way and graded them. This approah worked, I think. Most students were able to answer the questions, and spot-checking was helpful. Or, when they read in groups, they could help one another, or I could jump in where needed.

4. KristysRedBarn

KristysRedBarn Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

We've read a couple of novels this year. I too make up a question sheet for them to fill out each day. The answers are fairly obvious, I just want to verify that they are reading. My students read on their own, then I review with them the next day. So, they have to turn in their assignment sheet before we review. If they are struggling to find an answer I will help them out. They have gotten lazy though and think I should help them find every answer, so now I make them look for a full five minutes before I will help them, that has cut down them asking for help all the time.

5. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

I also do nearly-daily-quizzes when we read larger pieces. Even if it's four or five multiple-choice or single-word answers. I use this as a bell-ringer when the students walk in. They know to expect them, and I base it usually off the comprehension questions (whether we did them together or separately). I don't try to trick them, just picking out the major ideas.

And, for my students, some of those questions may just appear on the test at the end of the unit!