When substitute teacher (of elementary grdae) is done early cus the last period is PE

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Subber, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 13, 2011

Do you think it was appropriate to put the sub to do the office work (in the front office)?

I noticed that elementary schools secretaries want to keep the subs as long as possible. One time, it was so obvious that they really didn't need me to hang around yet they put me to do the office work at the front office area when I asked whether they needed anything. I asked because I was hoping that I could go home early. I did not at the time even though I felt that they were being petty.

Now that I think about it, I should have said "No" and that I'd only do teaching related work.

In high schools, if the last period is prep, they usually just let the subs go.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

Well, you did offer to do it, so I think it was appropriate.

In either case, whether or not it was a prep, you would need to stay until the end of the school day, just like the regular teacher.

4. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 13, 2011

In all of the schools I sub in you are expected to stay until after the students are out. You are being paid for a full day you need to be there the whole day.

I have been told to go relax in the teacher lounge. I have also spent 2 1/2 hours doing office work. I find the office work interesting too and I know that the P will see I am willing to pitch in where needed. I have also learned in 32 years of being involved with schools in one way or another that having the school secretary as a friend is always a plus.

5. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 13, 2011

I've never been asked to do anything besides follow the teacher's complete instructions for that day. I don't usually have any extra time as my day stays packed and busy until dismissal. Subs here stick to the duties of the teacher they are subbing for, we never float around the school asking if other people need help. I've not heard of that in this district, but I guess everywhere is different.

Sometimes teachers, principals, parents, students, and the teacher you are subbing for will come back into the room before dismissal and we are expected to be in there, not helping someone else with their job.

If the last period is PE, it usually goes by so fast and I stay in the room busy & working on something for that teacher. I think the secretaries & librarians can handle their own jobs. They never ask for or seem to need the help of a sub. If they do need help, it is usually given by a regular staff member, not a sub.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

When I subbed shortly two years ago (for one month in between jobs) I offered to help out in the office because the main teacher I was subbing for (a resource teacher) had cancelled all of her groups for the afternoon and I was bored. So, I offered to help because I find the office work to be fun and interesting. :) I think it would be fun to work in the office one day. :D

7. waffles

waffles Companion

Jan 13, 2011

In elementary school I never leave early. Even when the last part of the day is special area stuff, I've always needed to at least go get them to bring them back to the room to get their stuff to go home.

You're right, middle and high school are different.

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 13, 2011

I posted a similar thread, but mine was more about having to stay after the school day is over.

In the case of your situation, I would stay in the classroom, tidy up, write my note, etc. If a child needs something before he goes home and you've locked up the classroom because you're in the office, it could lead to problems.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 14, 2011

When I subbed elementary I'd just stay in the room and would not assume I could leave early. After all, they need a teacher to help pack up. And even if they get dismissed right from the special I'd still stay because I'm being paid to be there.

At the high school I work at now subs are expected to stay if they have last block prep and if needed will cover for another teacher either for the whole block or for part of it if there's a teacher who leaves early.

I'd suggest if you don't like doing the office work, don't go and ask and just hang in your room and tidy/write notes or whatever. Then they'd have to come get you to help out instead of you coming and offering which gives them the perfect opportunity to take you up on your offer.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2011

I'm not a sub.

In my school we have one period a day "on call." It's the period that's used to cover any subs that come up, since we sub internally.

In the early months of school, we're often assigned an office duty for those on call periods. We end up alphabetizing and checking all the forms that come in for the start of school-- physicals, parent contact forms, and so on.

At the end of the year, we're often asked to get stuff ready for graduation-- to get the diplomas packaged and so on.

I've had on call periods in the finance office, collecting cap and gown deposits and giving graduation tickets.

That's part of my job as a teacher-- to do what needs to be done.

So I don't think it's above and beyond to ask a sub to do what I've been asked to do.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2011

It would never occur to me to leave before the end of the day--either as a sub or as a contracted teacher. If I had an appointment scheduled and had to 'sneak out' before the bell, I clear it before-hand with my administrators and let the office staff know.

As far as helping with tasks in the office or elsewhere in the school, that's part of being part of a school community--we help each other out. As a sub, being willing to do "whatever" (and even seeking it out) goes a long way.

12. waffles

waffles Companion

Jan 14, 2011

I actually had the secretary at all the high schools and principals at the middle schools tell me that if my last period of the day was prep that they'd let me know if they needed me somewhere else but otherwise I could leave early. There's really no reason to stay around if all I'm going to do is sit in the room.

The fact that they're paying me to be there doesn't really change things in my mind. Mostly because they told me I could leave. I never asked.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 14, 2011

But in an elementary school, are you not still required to dismiss the kids???

And by asking if you could help out anywhere, you gave them permission to give you a job. If you had really wanted to leave you could have said: "Is it ok if I leave now?" Of course, at my school, that question would receive a big laugh, and we would probably not be calling you back again. As a sub, you do what you have to do... part of that is staying til the day is over.

14. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 14, 2011

In response to the OP's orginal question... I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate. Granted I'm not in elementary, though the schools I'm in many teachers actually have a period of office duty or attendence or something along that lines to help out. I've even hung out in the library for a couple preps and shelved books for the librarian. I always go down to the office and ask if they need me when the alternative is me sitting and staring at a wall for a couple periods. At least I'm being productive and helpful! Also I've had teachers, who, after meeting me while I was helping out, put me on their preferred lists.

Now if I need to prep for upcoming lessons or have something the teacher needs me to do, that is something completely different...

15. Vince

Vince Rookie

Jan 14, 2011

No way I would leave early in that circumstance. If the kids are out at PE, like someone else said, what if one of them needs to get something from the class room, like their jacket or backpack?

In my district, at the high school if the last period is prep, we are allowed to leave early. In fact, if we are asked to cover another class during our prep, we are paid a little bit extra, so that makes me think that the prep period is considered a break, and asking us to work our break requires them to pay us.

16. azure

azure Companion

Jan 14, 2011

I like working in the office. You find out stuff.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 14, 2011

I think if you are being paid for the whole day, you should stay the whole day.

If you get an assignment like that, take extra care to leave the assignments, sorted, the room clean, and detailed notes about the day. Since you would have extra time to do those, you have a chance to leave a very good impression. Anytime I have a great sub, I am sure to let my principal know so that sub can be requested by our campus often. I also let my principal know which subs leave the room in horrible shape.

18. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jan 14, 2011

Like Alice, I'm also not a sub but our school has a similar period that is considered our 'duty period'. Most often we use it for grade-level team planning, but we are also required to occasionally 'sweep' the halls for tardy students or do paperwork for our house office.

To be honest, I really don't see why it is an issue that as a sub you are expected to stay until the end of the day. You are being paid to be there for the full day, so really you should be working the full day.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

As a sub, you are 'standing in' for the contracted employeewho is absent. You should work that persons hours. Even if the last period is a special, our subs still dismiss kids. Even if the OP didn't have to dismiss, a good way to spend that time could have been organizing the work done in the classes she covered that day, leaving a note for the teacher for whom she subbed, or straightening up the classroom from the day's activities. Offering to help out in the office is appreciated, I'm sure. Refusing to do anything that isn't 'teaching related' will only harm your reputation in a district...and by the way, it's all pretty much teaching related when you are working in a school.:crosseyed:wow:

20. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2011

Do the office work if you're asked. You're being paid for a certain number of hours. Some schools in my district will let us go early on planning days, but an hour of our pay will be docked.

And, regarding office work, I got an amazing long term position doing test prep (no teaching). It lasted a month and I learned so much about the administration of a school. It's worth spending time in the office.

21. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 15, 2011

Unfortunately, it's completely appropriate for them to put you to work. When you say "office work" I assume filing and assorted other general stuff. However, I think it's bush league for schools that do it. It treats you like you're some high school kid or something (I think it's a bit demeaning to a "professional" teacher, to "find something" for me to do).

I have NO problem lending that helping hand in an unusual situation or where they actually do need a helping hand. Let's say a teacher got food poisoning at lunch, and couldn't finish her day. I would have zero problem going over and finishing the day for her. I mean, I'd even go as far as to do manual labor for them, if they needed.

But just finding some BS to do, just because... like I said, that's insulting.

22. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 16, 2011

I know that I offered but what I offered should be considreed in the context of "classroom environment/setting", not office work.

Since the kids were to be released directly by the PE teacher, if they needed me to stay at school in case they need an extra help all of a sudden, they could just put me in another classroom and make me be an assistant teacher.

23. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 16, 2011

Of course, after they asked me to do the office work (sorting out some stuff which I think is insulting work for me), I regret not staying in the room till school is over. I almost did but then wondered whether the other teachers would think of me weird. In the future I'd just that if a PE class is at the end of the day and the kids are released directly from the PE class.

24. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 16, 2011

I should have. I asked because I really could have used that time to study for my grad class rather than sitting and doing nothing in the classroom since I had already written a note to the teacher.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2011

You'd be surprised how many kids come running back to their classroom to pick up a book, or homework, or reading book, or a sweater, eyeglasses, etc. :)

26. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 16, 2011

I hear you. Believe it or not, I am of the same mentality. And Heaven knows that I have done a lot including taking off staples and stuff off the wall using my lunch break just so that I would finished everything I was asked to do as stated in lesson plan.

Just that, that day, it was obvious that they had absolutely NOTHING to give it to me and so finally they asked the front secretary whether she could use any help and she paused and then I got the ridiculous work of sorting some things. I don't mind sorting stuff in the classroom, really. The elementary schools in that district do not have any respect for subs and it's been very obvious like the secretary would be talking to some other person, making me wait instead of giving me my time sheet. I had other places to go, LIKE my grad class, at the university. Because I said I had a class to go and have a quiz and asked for my time sheet, I didn't get called at that school anymore.

Anyway, back then I was still not fully absorbing how some secretaries are immature and petty. Now, I know better.

27. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 16, 2011

Well, that school must do thing efficiently because the way I see it, making a sub stay till the day is over with no work for her (not referring to work that really didn't need the sub do unless the front secretaries wanted that work out of the way so that they could be talking) is WASTE of time. Of course, the majority of the people would look at it as "You're paid for the whole day" rather than thinking in terms of efficiency all the way around, including for subs.

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 16, 2011

We have early release days each week, and when we have a sub, we are expected to include work for the contract day, not just when the kids leave. Occasionally, if I don't have anything, I might say to ask the office if they need anything.

ETA: I just realized what is "off" for me about this original question. I don't think helping in the office is un-school-related. The work they do in there may seem boring at times (as does filing in my own room, at times) but it is important nonetheless.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 16, 2011

I'd ask the individual school's policy. Most of the schools where I subbed asked me to remain in the building for a certain length of time in case they needed coverage. After then I was free to go.

30. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 16, 2011

Subbing in elementary schools hardly ever comes with any prep time. Usually, it comes with yard duty. In one school (it may be the same school but I don't remember for sure), it was beginning to look like the teachers were coordinating to assign yard duty to the teachers on the day they get subs because I was getting yard duty every time I subbed there.

Someone (not you) said that working in office, you find out things. Well, I am the type of person who really doesn't like conversations that are mainly gossip.

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 16, 2011

I think I posted this another thread, but at our school (a high school, but the same would be true in elementary of an extra break time) our subs must report to the office for part of their planning time, or they lose part of their pay. Our planning periods are 90 minutes, and subs are paid for more hours in the day than a 90 minute break, plus a 30 minute lunch, would give them. Their pay scale only counts for a total of 60 minutes unpaid and 30 minute paid break. So, they must work for 30 minutes of their planning either filing in the office or covering another class if an emergency has come up.

Subs who do not check in at the office during their planning are docked pay and put on a "Do Not Call" list.

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 16, 2011

Personally I don't think its insulting work, or beneath me to help out with office work. At my school all work is to help the school function and for the benefit of the students. It sounds elitist to say that some work is insulting for you as a professional. As for the secretaries, I think you should walk a mile in their shoes before judging them and their motives. :2cents:

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

Our subs are expected to follow the same schedule as the teacher they are subbing for--yard/recess duties, preps, responsibilities, etc. We have duty for 60 minutes/week--chances are, if you sub more than one day/week, you'll have outdoor duty.

34. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 16, 2011

I try to treat my subs like a colleague, which is sincerely how I feel about them. If I had yard duty that day, they have yard duty. If I had prep time, I give them something to prep.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

I completely agree.

If I met a teacher/sub at my school who refused to do or complained about doing office work because it was beneath them, I'd be a little put out. What an incredibly offensive thing to say! All work at a school, regardless of where it is done, is done to benefit the students. The school does not exist so that teachers can write lesson plans or so that secretaries can answer the phone. It exists so that students can learn. If organizing paperwork in the main office helps facilitate that, then it's important. If I, as a fully licensed classroom teacher, were asked to help alphabetize standardized testing materials on my prep one day, I'd do it. We're a team at my school and we work together.

Subs are basically hourly employees. If you are contracted to work particular hours, then you need to be working during that time. You can't just decide that you're free to leave after the kids do, because you're still on the clock. If you don't like the hours or the policy that you might have to do some office work, then find another school to sub at.

36. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 16, 2011

Double check with your district.
    Logically, if you sub for a TEACHER you need to be doing THAT teacher's work. No, you should never leave early as a sub unless the Principal gives the OK During your "down" time you could be doing a lot of things while still in the teacher's classroom including writing them a note! When I was a sub, I would get ideas from each teacher and write them down in a binder to be used for later.

Subs are not always hourly employees. In the 2 states I have lived, they are paid per day. However, I feel if a sub were to ever come in late or leave early (on their own accord), they should be docked pay!

37. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

My grade level has planning at the end of the day... most of our subs leave early.

38. Vince

Vince Rookie

Jan 16, 2011

Our day is 7.5 hours and most of my schools expect you to stay the entire time. Some of them will let you leave a little early, maybe 15 mins, but most don't. On minimum days, I write a note, then go up to the office, if they have something for me to do, they'll give it to me. If not, they let me go home. Usually they let me go home. The teachers in my district rarely leave work they want completed after the kids leave early, but when they do, I complete it before leaving.

39. HSSub

HSSub Rookie

Jan 16, 2011

I love when last period is my teacher's plan. I always check with the office before leaving. Most of the time I get to go home early!!!

40. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 16, 2011

My class is the last class for specials, but my sub is expected to stay. My kids come back to me after specials, and I put them on the bus. The sub is expected to do the same.

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

For those who are subbing to 'get their foot in the door' in hopes of being hired for a full time teaching position, staying the full day and helping out wherever needed shows your interest and commitment. Leaving early just doesn't send the message that you really want to be there.