When students use Inappropiate Classroom Langauge!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewTeacher05, Mar 24, 2014.

1. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014

I'm a first year Kindergarten Teacher. Today a boy turned in a note to me with F*** you written on one side and I want to have S*E*X written on the other. The boy told me another boy wrote it, but the boy in question usually is pretty good about behavior (minor talking) and knows better than to write words like that. I questioned the student and he said he did not have anything to do with it. However after school I decided to match up the handwriting and it matched this student's perfectly. I will question him tomorrow. But how do I deal with this? I will contact his parents, but I don't even feel right repeating what he wrote to them. Should I just say he wrote an inappropriate note and to come in so I can show them?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

I'd show it to administration before calling parents in.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2014

I don't know how many times the culprit has been a student who supposedly "knows better." Sure, they might know right from wrong, but sometimes wrong is a lot more fun. If that were not the case, Las Vegas would not exist. Besides, it's often the more advanced students who have "advanced" far enough to know those words and how to spell them.

Of course he didn't. Over time, you will become very good at extracting confessions out of six year olds.

But you still might need a confession depending on how perfect the parents think their child is. At my school, they would sell him out in no time. They have no illusions about their children being angels. At other schools, the culture might be different.

Good. Try to get the confession. Say, in a very stern, and strict voice "I know what you did but you have to tell me!"

Stuff like that doesn't play very well over the phone. But making them come in can make it seem like you are blowing it out of proportion. To be honest, behavior like that is not too far off the charts for a kindergarten boy. I remember at that age we made a "fort" out of an old furniture box. The first thing we did was drew stick figures of naked ladies all over the inside. And I turned out perfectly normal. But face it, men are gross.

Whatever you do, you must be specific. If you ever say that a student wrote or said something very inappropriate, you need to state specifically what was written or said.

I hope this was helpful.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2014

You teach kindergartners. I'd be shocked if he has any idea whatsoever what any of those words mean, but I'd guess he has been around a teenage brother or cousin recently. Parents need to know, but you could very easily approach it from the "your darling angel has been exposed to some very naughty language."

6. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Mar 24, 2014

Did he spell the words correctly?

I ask because at my school we always laugh that the students can spell bad words correctly, but not simple CVCE and CVC words. I know it isn't funny, but it does make one shake their head.

7. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 24, 2014

i would NOT repeat what he wrote.

"Should I just say he wrote an inappropriate note and to come in so I can show them? "

Yes, that is what I would do. I would not want to say the curse words or repeat them.

I think bringing administration into it would be blowing it overboard. Most parents WANT to be contacted about their child's behavior.

At least as a mom, I would want to know.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

I wasn't suggesting having admin meet with parents, just inform admin of incident and run by thoughts on how to handle...especially if the op is a new teacher to district.:2cents:

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 24, 2014

In this situation, stick to just the facts. If you try to sugar coat, blame the child, or interpret it, it will come back to bite you as the parents will say you are judging their child.

I would invite the parents in and let them see the note for themselves. The less you say the better. Let the parents see for themselves.

I agree with czacza that you should tell admin as well, and I do agree it would be best to talk to admin first.