when students leave the room

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Aug 23, 2008.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

ok i know I saw this post but I can not find it to save my life. I am looking for ideas on creating a system to keep track of students leaving the room. If you have a chart or any system that has been successful, please share. Thank you!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

I have a magenetic white board that has a magnet for each child. When they are "Here" they move their clip there and when they are "Out", I have them move it to out. It's very easy to see who is in and out and how many kids I am responsible for at that time.

4. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

do students remember

Do the students remember to move their names? Where can I get a CHEAP magnetic board? Will a pocket chart work? I was trying to think of all the places they may go and put them on the chart. Like... Bathroom, Ar testing in office, Kitchen and things like that.

5. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

I use a sign out book with date,student's name, time left, time returned. I check it each day and anyone who abuses the right, loses the privilege of leaving without permission.

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

Good idea with the pocket chart! I got my magnetic white board (actually silver) at Staples for about 10.00. Their magnet has their name on it!:)

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I have a similar system to a teacher above. I have a small magnetic board. I think I bought it at Myers for $5. I used a marker to divide it into 6 sections ( bathroom, counselor, resource teacher, speech teacher, something else I can't remember, and office). I have a metal bookcase by the door where the marker board hangs. Under board I have their numbers on magnets also stuck to the bookcase. On their way out they just take their number and stick it on the correct section of the magnetic board. I like it right by the door because it helps them remember to change their number and it's also right there for me on the way out for a fire drill to see where particular students may be.

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 23, 2008

What about using a metal file cabinet? I used a metal cabinet once for the kids to choose lunches. I write a name on a tongue depressor then stuck a piece of magnet tape on the back. Instant magnet. You could section it off by using thin masking tape.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 23, 2008

Where do you guys get the magnets? I know i seems like a silly question, but I had trouble finding magnets that were small, yet flat enough to write a name on it.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2008

magnetic strips can be found at any craft store or craft department. Then stick them to craft sticks, index cards, pocker chips, anything.

11. Amers

Amers Cohort

Aug 23, 2008

I did this too. I only used it for bathroom/drink breaks though, not leaving to see extra teachers (Speech Class, SpEd, etc.)

12. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

i save magnets that realtors send out. then i cut them to the size i want. but it's not just realtors...you can get magnets from pizza places, dentists, doctors, etc...some offer them, but some you have to ask for (i never ask, because i always have them from somewhere). many times when you try a new service, they give you a magnet as well...for example, i got my vacuum fixed and they gave me a magnet.

i have quite a collection of magnets like these. they are flat and i can cut them into any shape. then i use contact paper to cover where the sticker that was doing the advertising was. you can then use sharpie or paint pen to write their names on it (i use paint pen...it doesn't rub off and you can erase it with finger nail polish remover).

my sign out board is on the dry erase board. i have them write their name on the board when they want to go to the library (i only let them go once a week because they abuse it). but instead of using a dry erase marker i use a sharpie. that way they can't erase their name and the sharpie comes off with expo spray (in the blue bottle).

LC

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Does anyone have a sign-out template they'd be willing to share?