when students are done early

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by NJArt, Sep 6, 2010.

1. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

When your art students are finished early with a project, do you let them do free choice drawings? Do you give them a new topic to draw? Something else?

It bothers me when a student will finish early and I'll tell them to do a free choice drawing and next thing I know they are wasting the drawing paper with basically scribble or tic tac toe. Most don't, but there's always some. Do you have guidelines for what you allow them to draw in their "free-time"?

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

You could require them to turn it in when theya re done...?

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

I usually give them a smaller piece so it's not wasting as much, give them an alternative assignment (ok..we just did this...now can you do this that relates to what they were just doing)

Usually I have some art word searches/puzzles they can do. Which grills all those artsy fartsy terms :)

This year I've got a few random books they can read if done early. Some of the World's Greatest Artist series and some others that I randomly found left in the room that I'm in now.

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

Depends on what it is. Lately, we've been working with typography so when they finish what I've explained as the requirement for the day, I look at their work, make a suggestion that they do another but try this or that. I'm often quoted as saying, "do it again". These are usually sketches or practices for skills that will go into a larger project so that works.

On larger more substantial works, when they finish this year, I will have a computer center to put them at (2-4 at a time) and I have a plethora of books about art plus some how to draw books.

6. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

I do my best to make my class work at the same pace, and actively discourage anyone from working ahead. Students who finish early are a problem. Let them do something else, then you can have other students rush their work so they can "play," too. You definitely have to consider the age of your students, their tendency to go off task and abandon something they consider "work" in favor of something they may view as more enjoyable.

I've found the students who are finished early aren't as finished as I'd like, and I can usually suggest they work on some element in their piece a bit longer. And I can be as picky as needed to keep those speedy students working on what I want. I have no qualms about sending them "back to the drawing board" as many times as it takes.

Long projects will cause students to spread out more than short ones, and it's a good idea to have meaningful side projects that can be completed in a small amount of time but still teach something worthwhile. I have stacks of such work I can hand out at a moment's notice--there are all sorts of books you can copy drawing assignments from.

I have a small library of drawing books; I buy new ones every year. I can let them at those as a last resort. They certainly enjoy them and the freedom of choosing what to work on.

7. The Maestro

The Maestro Rookie

Oct 17, 2010

Yeah, this is usually what I have as well. After almost seventeen years of teaching I have a huge collection of word search, puzzle, tessalation, coloring, and even sudoku books, and I'm always on the hunt for new ones while making copies of the best pages and keeping them ready to go in the file cabinet. As an aside, if I need to period sub, I always take a handful of the word searches with me just in case there is NO lesson plan in the room. Be prepared! :2cents:

I also found that having a long-term project that the kids can work on if they finish early (their own comic book for instance, or a self-portrait of them in their own world) that, using the parameters of the project can NOT be finished in under ten or more school days is a good thing to have as a back-up plan. If they finish the class project early, they know to go grab the long-term one.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2010

I love the idea of SUDOKU puzzles, journal writing, etc...
    They can turn them in for points.
    Maybe 50 points = bring a stuffed animal to class or something like that.