When students are absent?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 1, 2014

What do you do when students are absent?

Do they have to make up classwork or homework or do you just let it go? If you have them make up classwork, do they do it in class? And if they do it in class, are you sitting with them to offer assistance since they missed the lesson?

I find it very difficult to sit with one student to get him up to speed. Yes, I have paras, but since almost all my lessons are in small groups that are run by either myself or my paras, their time is spoken for as well as my own. However, if we don't make up for the missed instruction, then the child is a step behind and I can't really hold him accountable for the material when I test. I particularly struggle with how to handle absences that last two or more days.

I'm just wondering if you have a system in place for dealing with missed instruction.

Thanks. :)

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 1, 2014

They make up their classwork at home. I also have the work available online the day they are absent so they could technically print it out and work on it while they are away.

I do not offer assistance. I have them talk to a friend to get the work they missed and get help in completing it.

I also have links to Khan Academy and a bunch of other websites with instructional videos that enable flipped learning, even though flipped learning is not part of the main structure of my class. So if a student is behind on a concept, it is up to them to seek that help using the videos and materials on my website or by talking with a friend.

But I am 8th grade general population science, so 3rd and 4th grade special ed may need something a bit more than that.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 1, 2014

My students can (and must) make up missed work, whether it's excused or unexcused absence. They have about 2 weeks to do it.
    I made it clear to them that they must come to me to ask for the work, and don't expect me to chase after them. Each student has 4-5 teachers, but each teacher has a LOT of students to keep in mind.
    They can't make it up in class, because simply there is no time, we're always doing something, there's no downtime. They can do it during lunch, they can come into my classroom and I stay there, or they can do it in a different class if the teacher allows it (sometimes they do)
    A large part of the grade is participation this semester, which means they can't make up what they missed, but they can work extra hard when they're here to make up points.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 1, 2014

Yes, that's the other thing. How can they make up missed work in class without missing something else?

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 1, 2014

I teach high school students. I put very little effort toward making up missed work. I tell students and their parents on day one that missed work is 100% the student's responsibility.

As far as what they have to make up - that depends upon what they missed. Some quizzes I'll mark exempt because I pass them back the next day when the formerly-absent student is back in class. Sometimes, especially if it was a harder quiz where grades were a bit lower for the class, I'll make up an alternate quiz and have the formerly-absent student (I like the way that sounds!) step outside while we review it or I'll have him take it at the start of class so we can all review together. It wouldn't be fair to the students that took the quiz and bombed it to have the kid that was absent not risk a poor grade.

Sometimes making up the work is too much of a hassle for me. As is the case with labs. I'll either exempt the lab or give an alternate assignment - usually a report on the technique/science behind the lab.

Sometimes it is very important that the child make up the assignment immediately. Some labs are like this. If the student misses the lab he will be at a disadvantage for the test. I will teach the concept, he can get it in notes or by looking it up on his own, but actually doing the lab makes a huge difference in that portion of the test. Because it is a lab, students must make it up after school. I've had students and parents balk at this, even when I explain the reason behind the urgency. Sometimes they understand and sometimes they dig in their heels. With the latter, students almost always miss those test questions :(

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 1, 2014

I work my students on the classwork stuff- most of the time I won't have them do classwork or count theirs as a grade, but I will make them do homework on their own time.

8. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Sep 1, 2014

I require them to do the missed work. I have a blog for homework, they are welcome to call me, but I certainly do not track them down. They do the missing work in their own time. The only time I excuse work is if I am really truly not worried about a student, or if we are doing group projects.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 2, 2014

It depends on the student and on the missed assignment(s). We don't give letter grades at my grade level so I will just usually do whatever is necessary to assess a child's mastery of a concept. If a child has received 100 on every spelling test, for example, I don't really see a need to take up class time to test them on ONE test they missed. However, if I covered a totally new concept (like, say, in Math), then I would take a few moments to explain and assign the missed work as homework. I NEVER have a child make up every. single. missed. assignment. That would be ridiculous!

10. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Sep 5, 2014

Every assignment I give the students for the day goes into a folder. When my absent student returns, I run copies and staple them together. For assessments I give the other students seat work and test the absent student. Sometimes I do this during my planning period if it is a lengthy assessment.

11. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 5, 2014

I never sat with the students extra time when they have missed the classes, but once they are in class i make them to work fast as they can reach the speed of the regular student...