When Should I Wear This?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TiffanyL, Aug 14, 2010.

1. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

Okay, so I bought this cute t-shirt but in pink. Now I'm wondering if I should wear it on Wednesday which is our first day together as a staff (we plan all day for one day and then the rest of the week is spent in classrooms, grade level teams, etc.)?

http://www.cafepress.com/+funny_teacher_gifts_jr_jersey_tshirt,149113324

I'm torn because I was going to dress very professionally for our first day together and then wear this on the Friday before school starts.

Pros and Cons:

Pro for Weds: I won't be seen by any parents. I always dress prof. when on campus due to parents, students, etc.

Con for Weds: I won't be dressed very professionally for staff if I wear this t-shirt but it may be "fun". Plus, I KNOW they already fear I am uptight because I am overly, overly organized and I think they view that as possibly a micro-manager problem (I'm not, obviously, but they don't know me from Joe at this point).

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 14, 2010

I'd go for Wed., but taking a page out of my old P's book, pair it with nice, but casual pants (not jeans), fashionable shoes, and a blazer.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 14, 2010

Oh, and by the way, I LOVE the shirt :)

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

I think it would be cute to wear it the first day back. It's a really funny shirt!

6. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

Thanks guys! And, mmswm, I planned to wear nice slacks but a blazer would really dress it up! I hadn't thought of that. I have a small white blazer to that I could pair with beige dress pants.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

I think it would be cute too. Like someone said, pair it with nice trousers and nice shoes. My P also always dresses very professionally (suits). Last Friday was our first day back (no kids). She wore these cute capris with a nice top. :)

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 14, 2010

Tiffany, my old P did that all the time. It was her way of still being Dr. Principal, the professional, while at the same time having a little fun and adding some humor to our day. (Oh, and since you weren't around while I was still in the classroom, you should know that in the world according to me, my old P walked on water).

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

I would say Wednesday. I would get a giggle out of my principal wearing that on our first staff day. I'm actually thinking I need to get me one and wear it on our first staff day.

10. Harper

Harper Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I think it is a good icebreaker for a new staff... it shows your sense of humor...
    I love it, by the way.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

I agree on wearing it the first day teachers come in. They'll see the rest of the week that you dress professionally, so I don't think it will be a problem-especially if you wear nice pants and a blazer with it.

12. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 15, 2010

How about this...come in Wednesday with a professional blazer that closes up all the way in the front. After you greet everyone and get ready to get down to business, say something like, "Gee, it's really warm in this room!" Take off the blazer, and voila!...fun t-shirt that everyone will enjoy.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2010

In my school, that t-shirt by itself with capris would be just fine for our P to wear on a non-student day. We are very relaxed and anything goes for our hot climate. Our P does dress professionally when school is in session but we all kick back before the children come.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

Love the shirt, Tiffany! I agree with the others that you should wear it on your first staff day. Having a blazer is a great idea--you can pop it on and button it up if a parent shows up unexpectedly and needs to meet with you.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

I was going to say add a blazer, too. That would be cute.

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

That shirt rocks. Your staff will love it and know you have a fun side! :)

Pairing it with slacks is one option, but also with a khaki or dark denim skirt?

It's really cute!!!!

17. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

Thank you for all of the suggestions. The one I ordered is light pink so I think I'm going to pair it with my brown pencil skirt and heels. Then, I'll top it off with either a long tan cardigan or my sleek white blazer.

Now, I'm excited so thanks for the ideas!

18. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

I think that this shirt is really fun and it will help break the ice for the new school year. Good luck!

19. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I like the idea of the blazer because then if a parent should show up (which, if your luck is like mine, will absolutely happen) you can button up the blazer and cover the part of the shirt that parents might not understand the humor to.

20. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

On a teacher-only day, that would be perfectly appropriate with jeans in my building. We have a sort of strict dress code (at least according to everything I read here, lol! no jeans, no sneakers, no bare shoulders, no flipflops....) during the school year, but when kids and parents aren't in the building, all bets are off, and you can pretty much wear whatever the heck you want (and that goes for the principal, too).

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2010

I'm just adding my opinion—not attempting to initiate yet another debate about dress. :)

I think a blazer is completely unnecessary.

22. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

In my school a blazer would be completely unnecessary. It is well known that staff days are "dress down" days for everyone including our principal. We all come in jeans/shorts and t-shirts/sweatshirts depending on the weather. I guess it comes down to if that is appropriate dress at your school for staff days. If the principal wears a t-shirt for the first staff day no matter how appropriate or funny it has to be okay for others to dress that way for any future staff days.

Of course we are a bit different as we have 14 staff days a year (one a month on top of beginning and end of year days).

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

A blazer would be unnecessary in my school as well. As a principal new to the school, however, Tiffany may wish to have a blazer to throw on to greet any parents who may "just drop in".

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 15, 2010

I love Cafe Press!

I'd wear it on a staff day. (Well, actually *I* couldn't wear it since we aren't allowed to wear t-shirts, but if it's not a problem, wear it.)

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2010

Ima, so the new dress code prevents you from wearing a t-shirt even on a non-student day? :(

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

I don't know about Ima's, but our dress code does. We can't ever wear jeans, and can only wear school T-shirts on specific spirit days.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 16, 2010

As long as it's a contract day, it applies. :(

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2010

Sheesh!

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

I agree probably don't need the blazer but it would come in handy if a parent or two shows up.