When should I stop interviewing?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ZoeMarie, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 5, 2019

I’d like to leave my district that I have a contract in for various reasons and have been applying since late spring. I could do another year, it’s not like I must get out now but I’d like to in the long term (better pay elsewhere, I don’t have flexibility for a grade change where I am). I’ve had only 1 interview but was just called for another. I have to call them back tomorrow and let them know if I’d be available to interview.

I think I’ve only had one interview because I’ve been applying out of the grade level I’ve been teaching (I’m only going into my 4th year of teaching).

I feel that it’s very late in the summer for me to give notice to my district if I was offered a position. NJ law is 60 days notice but schools are typically flexible if given 30 days or so in the summer. My school starts the Aug 27. So my question is do I stop interviewing if offered and wait until next spring/summer for other opportunities?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2019

I would probably stay put at this point, unless it’s your dream position or district or a huge pay increase. As long as you can stand the thought of another year at your current school, it seems like too much stress to put on yourself at this point in the back to school season otherwise.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 5, 2019

Take the interview. It may or may not turn into something more, but the act of interviewing is worth going through. If this turns out to be a dream job, you can work out the required notice/availability when you get to the nitty gritty.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2019

You can interview but know that your current district CAN hold you for the 60 days.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Aug 6, 2019

Yes, I think it is very late to give notice. Places are different all over, but I can't imagine a P giving a good reference when the deadline is so close. Maybe that is just where I work. I might go to the interview. If it seemed like an ideal job in the grade you want and they seem interested, I'd get ahold of your current P to give him or her a head's up. Because if they call and your P is clueless, I could see where there could be hard feelings.

7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 8, 2019

What grade level are you trying to teach? What are you certified in? I agree, at this point leaving, your P will not be happy having to find a last minute replacement. Are teaching jobs competative there? 4 years is a good amount of experience. You havn't received many interviews?