When should I send my resumes out?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by TexasAggie2323, Jan 22, 2006.

1. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jan 22, 2006

I will not graduate until May but I would like to send out my resume so that the schools have them before our career fair. Our fair is going to be in early April.

I was thinking about sending them in late Febuary..is that too early?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 23, 2006

I was told that many districts don't start looking until March or April and my experience last year was that most weren't looking until June! However, I was looking in my local paper yesterday and saw a few openings posted for the 2006/2007 school year already. I don't think that late Feb. will be too early to send them. Just keep in mind that if they aren't looking for applicants yet they may not hang on to the resume (some districts around me don't accept unsolicited applications) so you may have to resend them to the same schools once it gets closer to summer vacation.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2006

Is there something special about your qualifications that would act as a hook to grab potential employers' attention? If so, it might be beneficial to send out resumes early if you can get them to the principals who will be making the decisions. There may not be any jobs now, but it might be enough to give you an edge when they do start hiring. If the resumes go to HR at the district, at best, they will just get put in a pile until needed and at worse get trashed. In that case, I see no benefit in sending them out significantly before hiring starts, which around here doesn't start until after the districts have a good idea of what state funding will be and what they teacher needs will be. That typically isn't until March or April at the best and sometimes is delayed to as late as June.

5. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for the replies,

I am just worried that I will not have a job. My wife is student teaching next semester and I would like to have a job lined up so that she isnt placed in a different location then where we will be living.
    The only thing "special" about me is that I would like to coach and I have a lot of experience coaching and playing basketball at the college level. I will also have my ESL certification. It seems like the ESL supplemental is starting to be something that everyone around here has though.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 23, 2006

Just wondering what grade or age you want to teach?

7. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jan 23, 2006

I will be certified to teach 3rd-9th in language arts and social studies but I am most interested in teaching middle school aged children.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 23, 2006

I was just wondering because here men are rare in the lower grades.
    Anyway I would send out resumes as soon as you see an opening in a district. I know in Maine that the schools do not accept applications that unsolicited. Good luck I hope are you able to find a job!

9. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 23, 2006

For what it's worth, here is my experience with sending them out too early. I graduated last May. I sent resumes out beginning in February and by July/Aug. I had only been called on three interviews. One principal in late July even told me that she had not called me for an interview because she assumed I had already gotten a job since I sent it so early in the year! She was only interviewing applicants that responded AFTER she posted an opening!

If you do choose to send them now, stay on top of them and keep your name fresh with them by calling periodically. As stated by someone above, some schools do not accept resumes unless they have an actual opening. What I would do at this point, is just send to actual openings you know of now and then send more in March/April. I never did get a job for this school year, but you may have an easier time since you are middle school and can coach. I have my middle school generalist now, but didn't when I was looking last summer. Hopefully you are in an area of Texas where there are jobs to be had. I'm not in a "teacher shortage" area (if such a monster exists). I've had more interviews just since Dec. 1 than I did all last summer! Good luck to you!

10. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jan 23, 2006

Thanks, those are some good points. We have a career fair in April so I would have another chance to talk to most of the schools that I am applying with during the career fair.
    I would also take a job in a lower grade if that is all I was offered but I need to make at least 31k my first year.

AChancetoTeach,

What area of Texas are you trying to find a job?

11. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jan 23, 2006

Do it twice. Particularly with schools you really want to go to. First time, drop it off by hand if possible and ask to sub there, or volunteer for a specific time and day.
    Then closer to the job fair, again.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 23, 2006

I agree. If you have everything ready to send out at the end of February, go for it. It's not going to do any harm. If they're looking for people that early it'll be good that you didn't wait! As I said above, though, just be sure to send out another round to the same schools in April/May just in case they didn't look at the resumes they got earlier. Also, if you see a district with posted openings, send a resume and cover letter applying for a specific position. You'll probably spend a good chunk of change on paper, ink, envelopes, and postage, but that's what it takes!

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 24, 2006

Yes, it doesn't hurt to send it out early. Some districts already have an idea of what jobs will be opening up, and they are informally looking for applicants. Send your resume in and try to set up an appointment. Then, call later in the year to check the status of your application. By the way, I always took a second resume with me to all interviews to leave with the principal. That way they have their own copy. I also left my portfolio with them for a few days so they could browse through it at their leisure.

14. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 24, 2006

I'm in West Texas near Lubbock.