When my class has a sub

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cruiserteacher, Dec 6, 2010.

1. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Dec 6, 2010

I am out at least once a month for half a day for our building leadership team meeting. It seems that my class cannot handle having a substitute, AT ALL. My class is very social, and for the most part, are not disrespectful. They just talk. A lot. Sometimes it is very difficult to have them come in, sit down and be quiet. I can imagine it is 10x worse when a sub is in the room. I just don't know what to do to encourage them to have better behavior and respect a substitute. It's not even a majority of the class, it's probably only 5 or so students. I always leave my discipline plan and rewards, individual and class. I used to be a sub, so I know how difficult it is, but many subs don't have a background in education and don't understand the students. I am at a loss on how to encourage my class to do better. Any ideas?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 6, 2010

Give up on making an education day. Let them play games--educational ones--or watch a movie.

4. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

You could arrange with the sub that they give you feedback on the class' behavior, tell the class that if you get positive feedback you will reward them with a game or prize.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2010

Doesn't that just reinforce their bad behavior? I'd turn that around and give a movie reward or games/centers time for a good sub report.

6. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

Oh please no.....

I've been subbing for 5 years and I have a reputation with principals in my district for being good with challenging classrooms. In my experience, one of the worst things that I run across when coming in to your class (if your class has some challenging behaviours) for the day is a day plan filled with fluff – kids quickly understand this for what it is and any problematic behaviours like chronic talking will only be exacerbated as a result as the kids quickly get the mistaken idea that they are now on holiday

Please leave your sub with meaningful work to be taught. Students know the difference, and part of good classroom management is getting kids involved in meaningful work which is kind of tricky to do if all that was left for the afternoon is a couple of word jumbles, a cartoon video and 45 minutes for play on the carpet…

7. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 7, 2010

Could it also be the substitutes? As the previous poster said, some substitutes have a reputation for doing a really great job managing tough classes. Others, not so much, which isnt an insult to them.

For instance, I had a substitute who arrived almost an hour late. Then. she misread the plans, so instead of doing the lesson with the kids and THEN having them do their independent work, she just put worksheets on everyones desk. So they kids were totally lost.

Then she sent them to lunch on their own.

After that, I talked to some of the teachers on my team to ask who did they recommend for a substitute.

Now, I don't have those problems because I get the substitutes that,like The Substitute poster, have a good reputation for managing classes.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Dec 7, 2010

I hate to blame the substitutes (I was in their shoes once), but I have to say, a majority of the time, they probably don't help the situation. The notes I get are "Your class was horrible. I've never been disrespected like this." There are never any checks left on the behavior sheet. There are never names left. It's a very general, blanketed statement that I can't do anything about. I've been trying very hard this year to get a list of subs that are "good" and use them whenever I can.

I would never leave a movie or have a "fluff" day with my classes. That is a waste of precious instructional time. I don't introduce new concepts with a sub, but there is always meaningful practice of what we are learning currently.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

I highly agree!!! :thumb:

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 20, 2010

once my class acted totally foolish with the sub(ie talking all day, not doing their work, etc) when i returned, i took EVERYONES recess. we spent a half hour in the morning having silent work mode which is when NO ONE except the teacher gets to talk. the kids hate it because they enjoy discussing things (and i enjoy hearing them). I told them that each time they acted up for the sub, i would take recess and extend silent work time.

It may not be the best method, but it has been the most effective. I get much more positive reports.

Also, if there are ringleaders in your class that encouage the class to get and remain rowdy and offtask, I might consider talking to your team and seeing if you have the option to have the ring leaders put into other classes.

Last year I had two main ringleaders, so I would send one to third grade and the other to my coworkers class. Ir helped.

:2cents:i dont want to blame the substitutes either, but some are not as great at management as others. i think lyn has offered good advice when she said to talk to other teachers and see who they recommend. be honest. tell them, i've got a kinda rowdy class. whose the best for kids like mine?