when looking for a job...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emerson Squirl, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Oct 28, 2009

What do you take into consideration? I realize that getting any job in these times would be considered a blessing, but what determines where you apply? I ask because we were talking about how experience is valued so highly in our field and how that could count against those of us that are new. Does it add to the challenge of landing the job?

3. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Oct 29, 2009

I used to have criteria as to where I applied - location (preferred it to be less than 25 miles away), district, reputation of school, subject area, part-time/full-time, etc. Now, since I have been searching for some time, I am much more open and almost apply to anything that is in my area of certification.

As for experience, I have taught privately for many years, but the public schools in my area do not count that towards anything. In fact, some look down on it. I actually have no "real public school" teaching experience (I've never had my own classroom). I have subbed, tutored, and even did a LTS for a full year where I did all the planning, grades, etc but without the teacher pay (I had been promised to have a position, but it got cut due to budget)

IMO, one negative for me is age - I am almost 40, but the ones they always hire are much younger.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Oct 29, 2009

My job search was only 1.5 years. The first year I applied everywhere in my state that had an opening posted. I didn't check back with individual districts as regularly as I should have to see if new openings were posted.

Last year I applied to literally every district in my state. The postage was expensive at times but I got 10 times the number of interviews because a.) it made the districts think I really went out of my way to apply there just on the off chance there may be an opening, making them look very desireable and b.) soooo many positions don't get posted online and may just be printed out and taped to the school's door.

I got a position at a school 2 hours away so fortunately I was able to move. I think that had a lot to do with my getting a job. Older adults often don't have that flexibility and may have to pass if offered a position in that case.

Personally I hate the, "schools are only hiring young teachers!" whine. It's simply not true. Sure, it's easy to say that's the reason you're not getting hired but the truth is probably a combination of reasons. Some experienced teachers cannot find jobs because they would make too much on the pay scale. Some new teachers don't have the prerequisite 3 years of experience required by more highly desireable school districts.

I guess I'm a little sensitive about the issue considering I was told that I only got the job because I'm young, attractive and "know" the supt. Actually I didn't know him. We graduated from the same college but he is 8 years older! Let's show some support for our colleagues and congratulate their good fortune.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2009

My first year looking I applied to any district within an hour of the area where we were living at the time. I didn't care what kind of school it was, where it was located, or what grade level it was. I got a job teaching kinder at a school 45 minutes from where we lived. After that, we moved after I got another job in a better school in a different grade level. I resigned b/c of maternity. I have been looking for 2 years since then. My criteria has shortened a little because I want to be in a district that is close to home since my daughter is in school now and I definitely am more selective as to what grade level I apply to. I have a job as a support person for sped in 7th grade. I LOVE my job and hoping that this is a foot in the door for this school because it is such a great place to be!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2009

Last year when I was looking for a job I was willing to move just about anywhere except for big cities. I found a job in rural Colorado and quickly found that the combo of being so far away from home, in an area that was totally different from what I used to and a having a job that I wasn't comfortable with made it unbearable and I resigned and moved back home. Now I am looking for a job that is within about five hours from where my family is and am still staying away from big cities and I am more careful than I was before.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2009

In this job market and economy, I'd take any job for which I was even remotely qualified. That having been said, if I can afford to be picky, then there are some specifics that I'd like.

Number of preps. As a foreign language teacher, I'm fully prepared to have at least 4 different preps every single year (one prep for each level I teach). If I were teaching any other subject, though, I'd want no more than two or three preps. It takes a lot of work and time to prep for a class.

No split assignments/subjects. I would like to teach just one subject. I wouldn't want to work across departments, like Math and English. I also wouldn't like working at two separate school sites, like the junior high in the morning and the high school in the afternoon. Yuck.

Reasonable pay. While I would be willing to take a slight pay cut, there comes a point at which I simply cannot survive without a certain amount of money. My home district pays exactly HALF what I make now. My current annual salary matches the amount that 20+ year veteran teachers make in that district. I realize that cost of living standards differ between the cities, but still....That's a huge, huge amount of money to be giving up, and I'm not sure that I could do it.

Not a charter school. I'm not comfortable with charter schools on the whole. I realize that there are many here who work at them and love them, and that's great. In my experience, though, they aren't so awesome. From what I have seen (myself, so I'm not trying to minimize or discount anyone else's experience), the hours can be horrible, as can be the amount of outside-the-classroom responsibilities. Which leads me to....

No/few outside-the-classroom responsibilities. I would not enjoy having to supervise at lunch, or have bus duty, or be obligated to attend sporting events or plays. I would like to have specific contracted hours, as well as most/all of my regular duties take place inside my classroom.

So there that is. :)