When kids run away...

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by JoStar, Mar 2, 2010.

1. JoStar

JoStar Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

So I have been subbing in the same Kindergarten room for 7 days, and the first 5 days were absolutely wonderful! There are only 15 students who come for the morning, and then I teach French to various classes in the afternoon.

There is one little boy in the Kindergarten room who has some behavioural issues - essentially if he doesn't get what he wants or do what he wants to do - he gets mad. I was nervous about this boy the first week, but he was great all week! No problems - the Grade one teacher even said she was amazed at how he was doing!

The honeymoon affect must have worn off, because yesterday it was like working with a whole new kid...first we played a dancing game in the morning where you have to freeze when the music stops playing. If you're caught moving, you have to sit around the table and cheer everyone on. This goes until everyone is out. We played this game twice. The first time this little boy got out, he sat down and cheered everyone on like he was supposed to. But the second time he got out??? Cue the big storm clouds and the biggest pout ever. He glared at me and then stormed out of the room. If he had been holding an object or something, he would have thrown it across the room.

My question is - what do you do if a young student just storms out of the room or runs away? I did not have any Educational Associates in the room, so I didn't want to leave any of the children unsupervised. Luckily that day the student just stayed in the hallway and sulked, but today he actually ran down the hall, into the bootroom and outside!! I didn't chase him, but calmly told him it was time to come inside, and he reluctantly did so. I then took him to the office.

He is so great when he is cooperative and on task, but as soon as something that he doesn't like (you know, like.....work, clean up time, etc.) he just gets angry and runs off. I'd almost rather he just have a tantrum and stay in the room...

any advice?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2010

I don't teach elementary, so I'm sure the answers vary. But, big picture: You have to keep your class safe while, at the same time, getting word to the office that you have a situation that requires help.

I would probably get the teacher across the hall to watch my class while I ran to the office. If that's not possible, write a note and have your 2 most reliable kids get it to the office immediately.

4. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

I would call the office, that way they could have someone get him. In my school (and most elementary schools in my district) there is an intercom so it is really easy to call the office.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2010

That makes sense. We don't have phones/intercoms, and a cell phone never occurred to me since mine is never on.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 2, 2010

Can you shut the door?

7. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Mar 2, 2010

Some schools have "walkie talkies" for situations such as this. It may also be a good idea to check about previous occurances and if there is a procedure in place.

8. JoStar

JoStar Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

The door does close, but it doesn't have a handle or anything - you just push it open and it is very light and easy for the kids to open. The school is a small school, so he didn't have far to go. The office dealt with him immediately so that was good - definitely calling the office first would have been a good idea :wub: Had I been in an unfamiliar school I would have done that right away!! Don't know why it didn't occur to me today. It's so scary when it happens in the moment!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 3, 2010

Our school has a very open floor plan-it's in an old victorian home with very few doors. But when a child runs away, they can only go to another classroom, so we just let them cool for a minute until they come back. Didn't mean to sound smart-just wondering if you were in the same situation. We had a pretty violent episode yesterday with a youngster, and I got to practice the 'hug lock'. It worked well-several staff took turns trying to help the child cool down. He was small one, so it took very little effort to swoop, hug and craddle.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 3, 2010

My room is the dead end of a hallway. Our favorite autistic child escapes to my room often. He is on the lookout for Scholastic magazines. He likes the feel of them. Today he ran from a secretary and I had to scoop him and carry him back. Then he didn't want me to put him down. I just wanted to give him the magazine (he had seen me walking with it), but the special ed teacher said no. So I had to honor her wishes. It was tough, but I stayed with him for about ten minutes and then left him with an aide. It isn't uncommon for the person that the child is running at to be the one to calm him down in our building.

11. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Mar 4, 2010

I teach middle school. The procedure for us is to call the office and let them know that so and so has left class without permission. Then they go find them.

12. musicbx

musicbx Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

This happens constantly in my school. Usually, we have people posted in the hallways to corral them back to class. More often than not, however, there is nobody immediately outside of my room to help. If that is the case, then I will send another student to a neighboring classroom or the office, to get help.

13. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 11, 2010

Whenever this happens in classes where I'm subbing I call the office and let them know the kid left class and ask them to hold onto them since they obviously don't want to be in class. Then I write a referral and send it up to the office.

14. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Apr 18, 2010

I am pretty fast so I will grab them before they run out the door. I have 80 kids at a time in the gym with 1 helper. I have had very few runners though and I am a 6'0 female so I am a whole lot bigger than most of the kids at my school.