When it rains it pours

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Boston1234, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

After months of failed interviews at schools I wasn't really crazy about to begin with, I just interviewed at two amazing high schools...and I kicked butt at both of the interviews (one of them was my alma mater!). I may be getting ahead of myself, but I have a good feeling that I will be offered the position from both schools. I definitely prefer School A to School B, but School B is in more of a rush and will most likely offer me the position before School A. How can I hold off School B until I know for sure what School A's decision is? Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2007

When you get the offer, ask for 24 hours to decide. Then call school A and tell them you have another offer.

Nice problem to have, huh??

4. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

It's like a huge load lifted off my shoulders :)

5. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 20, 2007

Boston,
    How did you know you had done a great job? I have not done so well in my interviews and Have yet to experience that feeling. I am still not sure what I have been doing wrong (except too much nervous talking) and would appreciate your perspective on doing it right! Thanks in advance.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2007

I agree with Alice....good luck! Keep us posted!

7. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Hi Big Shirley,

I have definitely left some interviews with that "wow, I messed that one up" feeling. At the first school (my top choice), I left feeling so good about the interview because we couldn't stop talking. Most interviews that I have been on have lasted around 30 minutes, while this one lasted 2 hours! We both bounced questions and ideas off each other and probably could've gone on for hours more, except another interview showed up. My interviewer also expressed disappointment when he asked if I was interviewing elsewhere and I told him that yes, I had an interview at a very similar school nearby. At the second school, I answered every question with confidence and with answers that impressed them. The night before, I found some standard sample questions that interviewers ask and I practiced my answers so I wouldn't look like I had mush for brains and say "umm..." every other word.

I hope this helps! I will keep you all updated.

8. teach101

teach101 Companion

Aug 20, 2007

Good for you! I hope to have great interviews like that ....soon! In my post I mentioned I just got a call from a school I didn't get the job with and I knew I didn't do good in the interview. I was nervous and have re-played my answers over and over. Well, now I have another shot for another position at the same school. At least I have the chance to give better answers. I need that confidence you are talking about!

9. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Second interview at my top choice tomorrow morning :D !! I am meeting with the principal and when I spoke with the science dept head on the phone (the person I interviewed with yesterday), he asked me "now, if the principal decides to go with you, are you ready to take on the position?" Of course I said "definitely." Cross your fingers!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2007

Go Boston!! (Just not the Red Sox though!!) :lol:

11. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Oh, the Red Sox. They cause me such heartbreak and stress and yet I still go back to them. The season started out so promising with the Sox surging and the Yanks plummeting and now they're beginning to look like the Red Sox I know and wish I didn't love (good win last night, tho!). It's like an abusive relationship that I can't get out of because I keep saying to myself "things will get better." *Sigh* It's a good thing I like the Mets, too (although their lead is smaller than the Sox's).

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2007

Oh, you REALLY don't like the Yankees, do you?? Rooting for both the Red Sox and the Mets?

(Said with love as a loyal Mets fan--Bill Buckner is my hero:rolleyes: )

13. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I grew up a diehard Sox fan (I was only 4 in 1986...what did I know about baseball then?). When I moved to NYC for graduate school I was poor and couldn't afford the fancy cable package that showed the Sox games, and I surely wasn't going to root for the Yankees, so I thought to myself "what fans hate the Yankees more than Sox fan do?" So I adopted the Mets for the year. Well, I found myself actually falling for the Mets and I would go to Shea Stadium whenever I got the chance (although it is a dump...can't wait for the new stadium). I am back in Boston, but I hang up my Mets cap next to my Sox caps, wear my David Wright shirt and catch the nationally televised games whenever I can (because I am still poor and can't afford the fancy cable package that show the Mets games :p )