When is your first day of school?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Amanda, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 11, 2002

Mine is Tuesday, August 20...

Most of us have been working in our rooms since the beginning of August. Our first contract day is Friday, I think!

3. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 11, 2002

Mine is tomorrow! I've been working in my room for the last week and I've had various meetings for a few days before that. We had Open House on Friday and now the kids arrive tomorrow! I can hardly believe it's here. I'm getting nervous!

Nick

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 11, 2002

My kids started July 16th. We are on the modified calendar. Just finished our 4th week, only 9 more to go until a 3 week break.

Sharlene

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 11, 2002

my school begins in a week for staff. We must attend a workshop this week. I am nervous and excited. Sorry that I wont be able to wake up late and take a nap in the late afternoons!

6. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 11, 2002

Staff members officially report August 20th. The children begin August 26th. Pre-k open house is Friday August 23rd. A lot of teachers, myself included, began working in our rooms last week and will work this week too. I'm sure most of you will agree it's worth working early w/o pay if you can get the classroom set up the way you like it :)

7. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Aug 11, 2002

We start August 26th and the kids start the 28th.I'm hoping to get into the room this week.

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 11, 2002

The teachers started back last Monday and the kids arrived last Thursday. This was the first year that Kindergarten had a staggered start. Half the class came on Thursday and the other half came on Friday. Tomorrow will be the first day that I have all of them together. We'll see how it goes.

9. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 11, 2002

Margo- How wonderful for everyone involved that you've got a staggered entry! Great news.

A.J.- Ours is the EXACT same as yours, with teachers starting Tuesday Aug. 20th, and the kids on the 26th. Seems like we're a lot later than most places! (I'm in Maryland).

Good luck to everyone- this is an exciting time of year! I love the opportunity to have a fresh, clean start every fall.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2002

Teachers start 8/12 and students start 8/19. The darn janitor chose last week to wax the floors and messed up my plans to spend several intensive days setting up my new room. I love the teacher week - we get a chance to really connect with other teachers.

11. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 11, 2002

Tradition can be a great thing. Our school always opens for Students the day after Labor Day. Teachers begin the week before on the 26th.

Upsadaisy - you are absolutely correct about connecting with other teachers. The school where I work is a K-12 school, so during this week, I get a chance to see what the middle school and elementary school teachers are doing.

Best Wishes everyone,
    Ed

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2002

Teachers started last Wednesday 8/7. The kids start Monday 8/12.

Upsadaisy... I know what you mean about the janitor. We have a new one that still hasn't figured out how to wax the floors like the other one did. I went one day week before last and she said she did the middle of the hall way but not the sides yet. SO I kept to the side and I was almost to my classroom until... BAM! I slipped and busted my tail. There was a HUGE wet spot from the stripper she used on the floor (that should have just been in the middle, not the side). I didn't see it until it was too late. I couldn't get up either because everywhere I put my hand to prop up was WET! Ruined my sandals and my purse. I had that wet floor stripper on my legs and behind. My tailbone is still hurting. I went barefooted the rest of the time I was in the building so I could feel the wet if there was more. ARG!

Needless to say, I did finally get everything back in order... I hope :)

Lori

13. pmts02

pmts02 Guest

Aug 11, 2002

My first day is August 19th and the kids forst day is August26th. I can't wait!!!! I wish everyone a Happy teaching year!!! : )

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2002

I went back today! We have a new principal, I keep reminding myself that change is good! The students return on Monday 8/19. My own children don't return until Thursday 9/5 & it's a 1/2 day.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 14, 2002

August 28 teacher work day. August 29 inservice day. Tuesday, Sept. 3, first day with kids. Our state had the great idea to cater to the tourist industry and require starting dates with kids only after Sept. 1

16. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Aug 22, 2002

Today is August 22, I've spent three weeks in my classroom with a volunteer aide to get the classroom decorated and organized. I had been hired last year three days before schol started and I never got to go through the previous teacher's stuff. I was just trying to keep up with the grade 4 curriculum all year. Now I have had a chance to go through each subject with our school year calendar and decide which units will be taught when. Then I gathered all the subjects into a master list and I feel so much more confident. Not that I keep to a strict schedule, I'm often very go with the teachable moments kind of person. But I also know the students must learn fractions after division and experience as many science subjects as possible. In Mass, we begin the Wed. after Labor Day, although the teachers meet on Tuesday together. I love teaching!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2002

Isn't it just nuts how crazy we all go over back-to-school? We're just big kids.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2002

My state (MI) requires that there is no school the Friday before Labor Day. I wish they would have said no teachers too! It is a staff day for us. As I said earlier students started 8/19 and my own kids don't go back until 9/5!

19. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 26, 2002

I go back today! Wish me luck :)
    Good Luck Ruth and everyone else who also starts today!