When is too early to do Job fairs and a question about Houston ISD

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Geologygirl, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

Hi everyone. I am in the summer before I do my student teaching semester (Sept through the end of January), and I was wondering, would it be too early to go to a teacher job fair? I noticed on Craigslist that Houston ISD is holding one at a local junior college here in Southern California. It says that they want recent graduate or experienced teachers there, but it also says they are looking to hire for the 2013-2014 school year. I have my bachelors, but since I won't have my credential until the end of January do you think it’s too early to send in my resume? I am hoping they might be looking to hire someone midyear.

I am really interested in this district because I grew up in that part of Texas and still have family there so the move would not be as much of a hassle to move back.

Also, I have a question about Houston ISD. I have noticed that they are showing up at a bunch of job fairs in Southern California lately. They have even put out ongoing job listings on my universities job board. Does this mean Houston ISD hard up for teachers? Why are they coming to Southern California to look for them if there are so many teachers jobless? Did a bunch of teachers quit because or something the district did? Is it a nice district to work for?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 4, 2013

When I was considering the area, I did not apply to HISD.

If you want to be a mid-year hire, I'd wait until you have your certification and everything ready before applying. It wouldn't hurt to go to the job fair though to make contacts.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 5, 2013

It's been in the news here a lot lately. What happened is HISD is absorbing kids/schools from another local district that closed-- North Forest. They have been advertising a lot for teachers I think because of this reason. From what I understand they are even offering teachers that get hired in those schools a sizable signing bonus.

5. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 5, 2013

Last I had heard they needed close to a 1000 teachers. Go ahead and go to the job fair. I have heard of some teachers being hired to teach while they were student teaching. So it cant hurt for you to go.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 5, 2013

At my job fair, they told everyone without certs that they couldn't really do anything for them unless they had certs in hand that day. I honestly wouldn't waste my time or theirs.

7. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 5, 2013

Yeah but the job market in Houston Texas is much different that New Jersey. I know last year at the first day of school Houston ISD was still very short on teachers. I saw an ad on Craigslist back in March for Houston ISD hiring teachers.

8. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 5, 2013

Matter of fact here is an add from May 30 for Houston.
    http://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/edu/3839397678.html

Houston ISD Hiring Math/Science Teachers Now! (Houston, TX)
    SPECIAL NEED: Secondary Math and Secondary Science Teachers

Apply by 6/10/2013 to secure an early contract for the 2013-14 school year!

Houston Independent School District (HISD) will have hundreds of openings for motivated teachers who are invested in making an impact on student achievement. Top candidates are encouraged to submit applications at http://schools.houstonisd.org/careers by the Early application deadline of 6/10/ 2013. Candidates that apply early will have the best chance of securing early contracts for the 2013-14 school year.

HISD is a diverse, student-centered school district that's just as innovative as the nation's top charter schools. HISD is looking for teachers who are excited by innovation, committed to inspire and motivate all learners, and dedicated to unlocking the potential of every student.

The current starting salary for a 10-month teacher with a Bachelor's degree is $45,887. HISD offers a comprehensive benefits package to teachers, including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, flexible spending account options, and vacation time.

By filling out one application, applicants gain access to a network of nearly 300 diverse schools looking for qualified, experienced teachers. Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree, hold a valid Texas teaching certification (or reciprocal out-of-state certification), and pass a background check. HISD is committed to diversity in hiring and employment practices and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.

We share HISD's belief that an effective teacher in every classroom is our city's best chance for a bright future.

To apply to teach with HISD, please visit HISD's online application at http://schools.houstonisd.org/careers.

Educate. Transform. Empower.

•Compensation: $45,887 (min) -- $72,920 (max), depending on experience
    •Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    •Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 5, 2013

It says directly in your post cert is required. OP has not even applied for one yet.

10. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 5, 2013

Thanks to everyone who replied. It seems from what you guys are saying that it might be an idea to go to the job fair and learn about the district, but wait to apply until I have my certification in hand. That is understandable. I guess I just had this fantasy about how great it would be to have a job in hand when I graduated lol. Not to likly midyear and in these times.

I do have another question for Texas teachers or anyone who has had a certification transfered between states. I will have a a secondary science geoscience credential when I finish school. The certification is suppose to let me teach science in middle school, and earth science and physical science in High School. What sort of credential would be considered the equivalent in Texas since they have a 4-8th grade science credential, and then high school ones?

11. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 5, 2013

Go and learn. Talk to them you might be surprised what they tell you.

12. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

TEA (Texas Education Association) just announced that nobody can set foot in a classroom without a certificate. They used to be able to hire on a probationary basis, pending getting a certificate and passing the content test within the school year. No longer.

13. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

You would need two certifications in Texas. Middle school and High school are different here. You can take the TeXES for either Generalist 4-8 that would allow you to teach all core subjects in middle school or you can just take the science 4-8 test.

For High school, Texas offers Physical Science 7-12 or a more generic Science 7-12.