When is the best time to tell your students you are leaving?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by andyguitar331, Mar 17, 2015.

1. andyguitar331

andyguitar331 Rookie

Mar 17, 2015

I know this question doesn't have a definitive answer, but I just want different opinions.

My last day at this school is April 16th, 2015 which is about a month from today (3/17). We have a spring break starting April 3rd to the 13th; so they will only see me three days after spring break.

I feel the more appropriate time to tell them would be before spring break so that they have the break to let it all set in.

They are looking for a new teacher, I just met one candidate right now actually. If they hire them I will be released earlier; so maybe telling them ASAP would be the best option?

Any opinion and advice is welcome!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2015

I think that the best time would be a few days before your last day. If you tell them too early, it might lead to behavior problems from students who think that it doesn't matter what they do since you're leaving anyway.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 17, 2015

I would recommend waiting as long as possible. My resignation got out early, and I had to deal with daily questions, begging to stay, and just issues for weeks.

Your situation is unique because it isn't the end of the year, but if it were me I would tell them the day you get back from spring break. If it's before that, I would give about 3-5 days notice. But that's me, and I don't like a lot of fussin'.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 17, 2015

Ask your principal. When I left my first job mid-year, my principal and I discussed together when and how I should tell my students and their parents. We opted for a class meeting on a Friday, when the following Tuesday would be my last day, which also happened to be the last day before winter break. I sent a letter home to parents the same day that I told the students so that parents would have something official rather than hearing it word-of-mouth from their children.

If I were you, I would wait until you come back from spring break, unless your principal says otherwise.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2015

Your situation has no one size fits all answer, since you could be out of there next week if the job gets filled. I don't really see this as much of an issue one way or the other, unless you would prefer to leave without saying goodbye. Wait until after break, and that could be a real possibility. Since you are leaving the area, perhaps that works best for you.

Know, however, that if they are interviewing for the position already, your students will know long before you want them to. Since there is this fundraiser stuff to be dealt with, I would want to assure the students and families that this is always in your mind, and that you will make absolutely certain that it concludes without a hitch. You owe them that peace of mind.

Actually, this seems to be the same question you asked in your last thread, and I am wondering why a new thread was needed.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2015

You really do need to ask the P. I worked for a P who demanded that the students not be told at all until the new teacher walked into the room. He got ticked once because word got out early that a teacher was leaving and he had to deal with parents calling him and students upset.

Personally, I think there would be many more upset parents and students if they walked in one day and a new teacher was in the room. (Which is why I let the word get out early that I was leaving! He couldn't do anything to me...I already had another job!!)

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2015

In this instance, the teacher is moving away, the new job is secured, but students and parents may have real concerns about the outcome of the fundraiser in progress. I think handling money trumps what the P wants in this instance. Can you imagine the consequences if there were any irregularities in how the money and product from the fundraiser was handled? A mistake or miscommunication in this instance could have true consequences.

BTW - it will get harder, not easier, as the time passes. You are leaving the district, not wanting to abandon the students. Of course they will want you to stay, but they have already lost a teacher before you, so they do know that life, and music, goes on. Let them vent a little - they haven't had an easy year either. Be the responsible adult and help them come to terms with the changes in their lives.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2015

Didn't the OP update a different thread and say that s/he would be staying to finish up the fundraiser, so that's no longer an issue?

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2015

I believe that if the OP is out as soon as a replacement is found, as opposed to a full 30 days, then the fundraiser resolution may not be set in stone.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 18, 2015

Seriously?
    What makes you think they would actually care who's in front of the classroom?
    Elementary students?
    One size fits all with older students; one teacher is as good as the next.

:dunno:

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 18, 2015

I agree with this. A few days before is enough time without risking the problems of telling them too soon.

13. andyguitar331

andyguitar331 Rookie

Mar 19, 2015

I brought up the fundraiser to the Principal. He is letting me finish the fundraiser. He also told me that if I were to leave in the middle of the fundraiser, any irregularities would be put on the school. I will leave once the purchase is made and after I make sure that all the money is accounted for. The Principal told me the delivery of the products shouldn't be an issue because he will oversee it. The new teacher is also very experienced with handling fundraisers.

I already told my mariachi students; I couldn't hold it in. They were all very understanding. Their parents might not be too happy, and they might give me heat tomorrow at parent teacher conferences, but I really don't care if they get angered. I really only care whether the kids are hurt or not; they are hurt, but they get it.