When is the best time to apply?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by glitzeyes, Jan 14, 2011.

1. glitzeyes

glitzeyes Rookie

Jan 14, 2011

ATTENTION: ALL EMPLOYED TEACHERS
    Hi I am a new teacher looking for a position for next school year. I am currently working as a LTS. I am in the process of filling out applications for next year. I want them turned in as close to when a position is open as I am afarid if I turn them in too far inadvance or before a position is avaialble it won't even be looked at or will be lost when a position does pop up. However, I am wondering when is the best time to put my applications in for the next school year? When do schools usually start hiring? Is there a certain time of the year each school has to know their need for the next year?

ALSO: On the job applications they ask for my last four jobs, I can include those no problem, but then some of my experience with kids will be cut. I don't have any job gaps though, which is good. However, since I am a new teacher some of the jobs aren't teaching or kid related of course. I have a print out of my entire job history should I attach that to the application or refrian and just answer exactly what is asked as my resume lists everything?

Any help from those who really know would be appreciated!! Thank you :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2011

We start thinking about next year's faculty in March.

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 14, 2011

(Not employed but once was)

It's hard to balance public vs private. I notice that private schools do fill up very fast (as Alice said hers consider the next year school year in March). Public schools however post openings all the way until September and even October after the school year has started.

If you're applying to private, I'd definitely try to have all private school apps in by April. I remember calling in early May one year and they were all fully staffed for the next year.

As for public, I'm only applying for Intervention and Homebound and those positions are scarce so I'm applying in February.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2011

Letters of intent (to continue being employed by our county) are due at the end of the month. Then they have an idea of how many teachers they have. Then they have a deadline for teachers who want to transfer. Finally, in March, they start looking at candidates, but won't get serious until mid April. (Georgia--Douglas County)

6. LunchMeat

LunchMeat Rookie

Jan 14, 2011

I have always heard March and April. However, I only would get called for interviews in July and as late as August 2 weeks before the school year started. My experience is that they will always take the teachers and staff that have years of experience first for interviews really early on, and then people like me, get the last minute positions or "leftovers". Also (and I hate saying this) I always felt that the schools that interviewed me so late in the year were usually very disorganized and not the best schools to be working out. The last school I worked at offered me the position 2 weeks before the school year started.

7. glitzeyes

glitzeyes Rookie

Jan 15, 2011

Thanks everyone this really helps! Webmistress, do you know the best way to get in to a private school? It doesn't seem as easy to find any open positions because they often dont post openings on a school website and such...

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

I don't think the Catholic school I teach in has ever had to post an opening.

When one comes up, we go to the file and start pulling resumes, and make the calls that day.

When I returned to work a few years ago (after being a SAHM) I got interviews for 2 jobs that hadn't been posted yet. Had I chosen to take either of those jobs (both were offered, but I was lucky enough to get back into my old school) then those jobs would never have been posted either.

Send a killer cover letter and resume to every single public, private, religious and charter school you can find. You can be choosy after the interviews, when you can see what those schools are like.

But don't rely on the websites to tell you there are openings. Apply anyway.

9. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jan 15, 2011

I'm applying now to public schools in my area. I do have the benefit of having a teaching job now (that hasn't always been the case) so I would like to be responsible enough to let my current district now early if I find something. In my state if a current teacher has already signed a contract for the next school year, they have until July 10 to accept an alternate position without possible penalty to their license. Of course you don't have that problem.

I'm applying now because a.) I have time now (4 snow days last week) but school will ramp back up from Feb-Apr with testing. b.) I hope the early bird gets the worm.

I suppose I figure I'll send in my application now when the districts probably won't receive multiple applications a day like the will closer to summer. Of course, that might mean mine hits the wastebasket first or that it will get misfiled but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

I plan on sending out follow-up letters as I see positions posted just to remind the districts I've sent in my information. If I don't see any postings come May/June, I'll probably send a follow-up to those districts then.

I always worried before that if I sent an application and then made a phone call or sent a follow-up letter or email, I'd get a bad reputation as someone who (didn't follow our application process). By applying now, I'll have a bit more time to wait before checking back.

Just my thoughts.

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 15, 2011

glitzeyes,
    The way I will do it from now on is similar to what Alice said. Apply wherever you think may be a good fit. I have never seen a private school post an opening so definitely don't wait on them to post anything.

In 2009 I called each school on my list and asked were they accepting applications. I'd then drive to each school, pick up the application, fill it out which took days and then drop it back off. I really wouldn't recommend that method. Got an interview offer, but missed the phone call, and just like that the position was filled so be on alert.

Start here:

http://www.privateschoolreview.com/

It lists nearly every private school (Catholic, Baptist, Protestant, Muslim, 7th Day Adventist, Non-Religious etc) in the country and gives you a "peek" into them, their educational philosophy, their teaching staff, amount of students, grade levels, racial diversity etc which are all important things for me to know before I apply. I can not work at any type of school out there. Some schools will have you teaching 3 or 4 grade levels so checking out that site is a good start.

But from there you can go to their actual websites. You'd have all their contact information, so I'd then mail in my resume, cover letter, (and portfolio) based on the contact information from their website.

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

I know our P announced at our staff meeting last week that we will have at least two vacancies. She is trying to get us to get our intent letters back ASAP so she knows what other openings that she will have. I don't know when she will start interviewing, but she typically starts early.