When is it time to move on?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ArtTeacher22, Sep 30, 2015.

1. ArtTeacher22

ArtTeacher22 New Member

Sep 30, 2015

I have been actively pursuing a job as an art teacher for six years. In those six years, I had two long-term leave art positions (three years experience in total). I feel as if I will never land a permanent job teaching art and I'm ready to give up. I hear and read many stories of people getting jobs right after their student teacher and I have to wonder "What on Earth am I doing wrong?" I've met with principals, advisors, colleagues, etc. to discuss what I can do differently. Every single person tells me the same thing: "Just keep doing what you're doing, any school would be lucky to have you!" These sentiments have given me a false sense of reality. For years, I always thought my time would come. But now I have come to realize that what I have diligently worked so hard for may never happen.

And so my question to everyone is this: Do we press on and continue toward the dream or do we count our losses and move on?

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Sep 30, 2015

Is art your only cert? Are you alt cert or you have your actual teaching cert already? If I was you and have been trying for that long, I would get certified to teach something else, at least you will be teaching and when the school opens up a position you can work your way for art.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 30, 2015

I was going to suggest this. I know of three art teachers who got their current art teaching positions this way.

5. Boba

Boba Companion

Oct 10, 2015

Honestly, I'm in a similar boat as you (certified for school counseling though). If I lose my job within the next 2 years due to budget cuts, I'm considering leaving education altogether, going back to school, and pursuing something that's not as limited. I don't see myself as a teacher anymore so I know I don't want to get certified to teach something else (I like school counseling).

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2015

Are you able to relocate?