When is Hiring Season?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Nguyenap87, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Nguyenap87

Nguyenap87 Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

Hi guys,

I just had a quick question. I've filled in several applications in the last couple of weeks but have only heard back from one district for a 5 minute demo. What is the time it takes to review an application call you back? And when is the time they do the most hiring?

Thank you!

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 21, 2010

Hiring season if from February to August. Sometimes it takes a long time to hear back. Just keep checking.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

It will probably be later this year than in other years, as budgets go up for votes and schools find out how much money they'll be getting from the states.

As I understand it, many NJ districts voted down the budget yesterday, so I imagine they'll have to be revised and put up again. Long Island's Super Tuesday budget vote is May 18.

And I'm not sure where you are, but "several applications" won't cut it in many parts of the country, even in a good year. (And this most certainly isn't one.)

When I first started teaching, I applied to each of the 121 Long Island districts, along with the 8 or 10 Catholic schools.

Don't worry about finding your "dream job"-- you can be more discerning when the offers start to come in.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Apr 21, 2010

Now. We are beginning the hiring process right now in our district. Of course they will place mainly internal transfers first but, they are def looking outside of the district too. Especially for sped teachers and bilingual teachers.:cool:

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Apr 21, 2010

:agreed::agreed::agreed:Alice is right. The teaching competition is fierce in Texas too. Sometimes I feel bad for really good subs that may not get a chance to teach. But we do hire from within (our sub pool) as well as persons from other states. So, the thing to do is to BE one of the few that gets hired by making yourself highly marketable and applying everywhere.

7. Nguyenap87

Nguyenap87 Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

Oh wow. Thank you for your advice. I'm definitely applying everywhere I can!

8. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

Also, if you're in a state like CA, many districts still haven't called back all of the teachers they laid off last year so they aren't hiring new teachers at all.

Like Alice said, apply EVERYWHERE!!!!!

9. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

This is scary to me. I live in a rural area. Due to childcare issues, I need to be no more than 45 minutes away. This leaves me with one whole county, one partial county, and one district in a neighboring state. I think that makes about 13 elementary schools, total.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 21, 2010

In my total career, I've only heard back from a small handful of jobs I've applied to. It pays to fill out as many applications as you can.
    In AZ, hiring season will not start until after May 18th, when a very important sales tax will be voted on. If it doesn't pass, things are going to get very ugly for schools regarding budget cuts. Most districts are waiting until the end of the school year to finalize their staffing needs for the next year. Scary- as I'm also looking for a job.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

The metro NYC area is always brutally competitive for teachers. From my house, a 15 minute drive will get me to a good 5 universities, all of whom graduate a full class of teachers 2 or 3 times a year.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 21, 2010

Our school has a hiring freeze. It doesn't look like it will be lifted anytime soon.