When I grow up I want to be a...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cml88, Jun 10, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Jun 10, 2012

We're approaching the last week of school and thought it would be cute to have the kids draw a picture of something they wanted to be when they grow up. I want this to be the final piece in their pre-k portfolios. I'm looking for a read-aloud that deals with this subject so I can set the stage before having the kids draw...Can anyone recommend any books that focus on that theme? THANKS!

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 10, 2012

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 11, 2012

I do this project and I always read "Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!"

http://www.amazon.com/Maybe-You-Should-Beginner-Books/dp/0394844483

As an aside, I believe I stole this idea from someone else on this site- they draw the body, but I take an actual photo of their face and put it on the paper. Then I ask them to fill in the sentence "When I grow up I want to be ____________ so _____________." ("When I grow up I want to be a teacher so I can use a walkie-talkie," and "When I grow up I want to be a vet so I can take care of dogs without them scatching me," were two of this years answers LoL.) I make them give me the reason- some are sweet, some are hysterical. Then I have the kids read their reason as our moving up ceremony!

5. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

Loooove it!! Perfect idea for our graduation?

6. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

I have that book, and the kids love it! Side note: what other activities do you do at your ceremony?

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 18, 2012

I am terribly low key about moving up. There are 36 kids with limited time and space. I basically just give a short speech thanking the parents for all their support through the year, tell them how great their kids were and how much they will be missed, and we get right into it. Each child gets called up individually and I coach them to "read" their papers to the grown-ups (i.e.- I whisper to them what they told me to write down, and have them say it into the microphone). Then they get a certificate, I pose with them so parents can snap a quick photo, and we move on. At the end another brief thank you and that's that.