When half of your class...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderkids, Oct 2, 2014.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2014

Can't count past 5 and cannot recognize a number past 3 (most of that half past 2) They also don't recognize ANY letters! Cannot find what letter their name begins with. Several can't recognize/name even the primary colors!!! :confused::dizzy: I've been teaching 22 years and I have never had SO many so far behind the normal expectations of a kiddo entering kindergarten. Half are farther behind the classes I taught in 4k!!! I'm so frustrated and worn out. I have already put two requests in for testing. Why wasn't this addressed in PreK4 as all of the ones mentioned attended 4K. I saw red flags immediately!!!!

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2014

And just to add...that the kiddos take PALS literacy screening in 4k in fall and spring. 0 was the score most of them had...and those that had a 2 or 3 digressed in the spring score. I had to share the results of the screening with 2 families and they were upset they weren't told about this in PreK4. ( I was too). Isn't that the reason for any of this crazy screening/testing at such an early age...to let a teacher know early that we need to be alert and inform parents and do what we can to intervene????

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 2, 2014

I can understand how frustrating it can be to have kiddos come in so low. When I taught in a Title 1 school, most of our students came into K with around the same level of knowledge. As a public preschool teacher, the amount of academic standards an assessments I have to do is slightly insane. However, when students come into preschool (which is perhaps similiar to what 4K is?), there is SO much to teach them beyond academics. It takes forever to teach how to sit on the carpet, how to follow directios, how to listen to a story, how to sit for more than 5 minutes, how to share with peers, etc.. In all honestly, for some of my students, academic skills are the LAST thing that I'm worried about. Sometimes, K teachers aren't able to see that even though that child possibly came to K not identifying letters, he is able to sit for large group and get through the day without hitting anyone, and that in itself is a success. When referring for special ed. testing, it's fairly easy for me to screen and refer for social skills, language, artic, etc.. It's hard for me to always justify referring for academic delays. Most of the time, I decide not to refer, because I don't want to label a child just because they didn't make academic progress during their very first experience in school. Kinder is so much more academic focused, and typically our special ed. resource staff tell us to hold off on academic referrals and give them a few months in kinder to see how they do. I usually will contact the K teacher and let them know the assessment scores and that I have concerns, have told the parents, but did not refer.

With all that being said, it's possible that this was just a mistake on the teacher's part, and hopefully you get the support you need to help those students :)

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2014

Thanks for this point of view. I understand what you are saying as I taught 3 and 4 year olds as well. To me it isn't about labeling, it is about getting valuable interventions as early as possible. And please know, I do hope I can tell the difference between a child whose behaviors or family life hinder what they are able to do versus what I believe to be a child who really needs extra support because of developmental concerns. I don't think about labels, but rather what can I do to help these kiddos the most. I'd rather be proactive rather then having to be reactive.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 2, 2014

I don't teach kinder and never have, but I can understand the frustration of children coming in lower, especially when we have such high standards. I have third graders who can't do basic math facts and can't write uppercase and lowercase letters.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2014

Usually this isn't a major breakthrough...but today when nearly all of my kids could rote count in circle counting to 25, well that was huge. I hate to compare to previous years so I won't go there. Just celebrating the progress!!!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 10, 2014

Congrats! Maybe they will grow so much over the year that you will be able to look back at this time and smile.