When former students tell you the current batch aren't ready

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, Jun 4, 2012.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 4, 2012

I had a former student come in today to say hello. He graduated 4 years ago, is about to graduate from college, is married, has a son, and is interviewing with Sony Television in a few weeks. Now, when I had him, he was not my top student, but he did what he needed and got out of here. When he was a student, are grading scale was the 7 point scale, instead of the 10 point, which we went to this year. I told him that, and he was shocked. I also told him that we now must accept late work, and some of the other policies that have been implemented this year. First off all, he thanked me for teaching him responsibility. Secondly, he said, "College is not going to get easier, and these kids are fooling themselves."

It made me feel good, and I'm glad that even someone so recently in the same boat as these kids sees things the way I see it.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2012

Hopefully he can help others see that we aren't doing any favors to these students by being so lenient. The pendulum will swing back, it always does.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 4, 2012

I did very well at my competitive HS, but I'll admit I was LAZY. Handing in assignments late, not doing homework, etc.

College was a huuuuge wake-up call, and it seems like your school is facilitating this laziness. My HS definitely didn't; it was all self-inflicted. I was always able to balance out those lower grades. Not so simple in college.