When Does Your School Year End? What are you most proud of?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Apr 4, 2009.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2009

We are finished June 11. Seems like just yesterday they arrived through my door, immature and annoying. Now, a mere few months later, they are getting ready to leave, less immature and tolerable. :rolleyes:
    So glad we get a summer break to recover and refresh before we do it all over again. I think I have the best job in the world. I love watching the transformation!:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2009

OUr last day of classes is June 8.

Exams end June 16.

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 4, 2009

May 29 for students

June 4 for teachers

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2009

June 25th for the students; 26th for teachers.

I am most proud of the successes I have had with some of my grade 8 students--both behaviourally and academically.

6. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Apr 4, 2009

School ends June 4.

I'm most proud of surviving my first year and my kids actually learned!! :lol: It's been an awesome year and I can't wait to start the new year..After a nice break, of course.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2009

I have no clue when our school year ends (they will have to add days to the end due to snow cancelations). As for what I'm most proud of, my kids have made me feel so good over these past two weeks. Our school recently started a staff member of the week and kids have to nominate you. There have been 3 or 4 teachers per week. I got it both weeks and last week another student nominated me for teacher appreciation that the after school day care was having. They had a dinner for the nominated teachers after school. It's nice to know that the kids recognize all of the hard work you put in and how much you care.

8. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 4, 2009

School ends for students June 10th and for teachers June 12th (although the building is still open till the 17th in case we need more time to pack up). Exams begin June 5th.

9. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Apr 4, 2009

Nice work CheeryTeacher!! That's awesome that you're being recognized like that- really gives you a good boost going into the home stretch here.

Teachers' last day is May 26! We will have nearly a full 3 months off!

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2009

May 26th for all

I am proud of how well my students are reading. It is amazing to see the transformation from August to now. This group is the smartest group that I have had. Every child has been on the honor roll for the entire year.

11. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Apr 4, 2009

I'm most proud of my juniors stepping up and improving in American Government. We had an amazing study of "Animal Farm," just got done with a mock trial, and are getting ready to do a news show in class. They have stepped up big!! I'm also proud of my students that I took to the Euro Challenge and Capitol Forum this year- they also took inititiave and did well.

I have a "Class of the Month" every year and every single one of my classes has made it up on the Hall of Fame- they really have earned it.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2009

Congrats to you and what a wonderful idea for the students to nominate the teachers.

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 4, 2009

Our last day is June 5. Off until sometime in August. Not sure when because they are cutting our 5 days of professional development at the start of school.
    I don't want the year to end. I really enjoy my class.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2009

We end June 25...We add on whenever we have a snow day and we've had 3 this year.

My class is having a writing celebration on Wednesday next week. They've been practicing hard- it's been a crazy week of parent teacher conferences, union meeting, meeting with my principal about school staffing (I mentor), report cards so planning the celebration has been hectic. My kids are really 'stepping up', love the rehearsing and can't wait for the celebration.

My conferences have been going well- parents thanking me for a great year (it ain't over yet, folks!), telling me their kids LOVE coming to school, how lucky they feel...Kind of gets me through whatever else in my life that's temporarily 'on my plate'. :love:

15. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 4, 2009

I think we end June 6. But I start teaching a three week conference the following Monday, so I guess my teaching year ends at the end of June.

As far as what I am most proud of? Can I get back to you on that one? We will get our state's testing results at the end of May...:lol::lol:

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2009

June 12? I think that's a Friday. Our three snow days were built into the calendar so our last day wasn't extended.
    I'm most proud of the growth. I had a student whose last year teacher wanted him to repeat kindergarten. He started the year unable to even copy words off the board. He couldn't count past 10 and cried easily.
    I read his journal this week, here is what he wrote:
    "I like the picture on page 194 becus I like egwanas"

He also got 100% on the last two math unit tests.

My lowest math score on the mid year test was a 79%, the mode was 90%.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2009

The last day of finals for us is June 4th, I think. Teachers are done on either the 5th or the 8th, I'm not sure.

What I'm most proud of is making it through the year in one piece.

My year started off really rough on account of a special class of at-risk students who hated me and made the class horrible. I've posted about it a couple of times here....Basically I just wasn't able to get a handle on things like I normally can. They managed to get to me. I was crying all the time at home (and a couple of times at school), had so much stress, lost like 30 pounds just from feeling sick all the time (I'm sure it was an ulcer or something)....It was bad. I was really questioning my abilities as a teacher, and since teaching pretty much defines me, that was really tough to handle. I was also dealing with depression, which didn't help things.

Starting in about January, things started to turn around. I cleaned up that class by kicking out the worst offenders. (Note: this is why it's a good idea to remain on your admin's good side, or at least under the radar. I'm not a teacher who makes waves or causes problems and I think my admin generally likes me. So when I went to them and requested that all these kids be dumped from the special program, they listened to me and seemed to understand that I wouldn't have asked for it if it weren't the absolute last resort.)

I'm not sure that I could have gotten through to those kids--a bunch of about 12 students, mostly males. They, for whatever reason, decided on the first day that they didn't like me. No, they decided that I was a joke and insignificant and that what I had to say didn't matter to them. I pulled out all the stops and used every trick I had to get them on my side (or at least not against me), but nothing worked. Every day in that class it was just a battle...and I don't get into battles with students. But they sure needed to fight me, every single step of the way. Ugh. I'm getting worked up just thinking about this whole thing. Anyway, it bothers me that I didn't get through to them. I'm honestly not sure how I could have managed it except, truthfully, to be someone other than who I am. (What I'm saying is that I think they had some racist and sexist feelings towards me.)

That group of students will be one that I will always remember, although not with fondness. I truly worry that they will find themselves in a world of hurt when they're out of high school and away from people who care about them and can protect them from their own bad choices. In spite of how mean and hateful and awful they were, I did and do care about them. I hope they turn things around before it's too late for them.

18. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 4, 2009

When does it end? Not soon enough! (LOL!!)

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 4, 2009

Students are done June 19th, and teachers are done June 23rd.

I'm most proud of the successes that I have been seeing regarding behaviour in a number of my students.

20. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 4, 2009

I think at times we all feel like that. For most of us, it's a fleeting feeling that comes from a bad day, bad meeting with a parent, or something else. But when those bad episodes happen, there is usually a bright spot around the corner--it might be something as simple as passing back a paper to a student who received a 72 on a test when they have been failing all year. You get to see the pride in that student's face and feel the joy.

It's too bad for you that you seem so jaded. Teaching is such a rewarding profession AND lifestyle. Maybe you are in the wrong school...or wrong profession.

21. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 4, 2009

If I had gotten into a decent school district, you'd probably be right. They ALL have their own, unique problems, but not to level I've dealt with all these years.

22. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 4, 2009

Well, then maybe a district change is in order for you........

23. LoriVincent

LoriVincent Rookie

Apr 4, 2009

May 22 is our last day! After our Easter break, we only have 4 weeks! WOW! I am proud to have been elected TOY at my school. We will be on Day 4 of iLEAP testing on Monday, but I hope in a few weeks that I can say that I am most proud of the increased scores in ELA and writing! Wish us luck!

24. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 4, 2009

Writer's Block - Easier said than done. And now that the economy has made a downward turn, even tougher finding openings.

25. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 4, 2009

Last year I had a horrible class and couldn't wait for the year to end. We all have those years when we can't wait to get rid of them. Hopefully next year will be better for you.

26. maroki

maroki Comrade

Apr 4, 2009

Our last day of school (teachers and students) is June 19.

So far, I'm most proud of my students' writing this year. They really are getting capital letters, punctuation, detailed sentences, sentence structure and using resources (word lists, dictionaries) to add vocabulary and new words to their sentences.

27. Arky

Arky Comrade

Apr 4, 2009

June 2nd for students and teachers.
    I am most proud of my students and quite honestly I am proud I made it through the year. It has really been a rough year.

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2009

June 23 for me...last day for kiddos and teachers.

I'm most proud of taking care of me this year. I had a really rough class and got really sick in January. I have been on sick leave since then and will be going back to a different position within the school (long story). I'm proud of myself because in the past I would've pushed myself to the limit and gone back way too soon. But I realized I needed to take care of me, and my kids would be okay. I miss being in school and look forward to going back, but I am very glad i learned how to take care of myself this year.

29. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 5, 2009

Kids finish with exams June 26th, teachers are done on June 30th. There's still so much time left, I'm not sure what I'll be proudest of!

30. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

May 29th for students.

June 2nd for teachers.

I am proud of the fact that so far this year (still have a bit to go) I have only had 3 students have to go to the office and only one student have to go to in school suspension.

31. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

I think we go until June 26th? We had so many snow days that I've lost track.

I am proud of the fact that I've dealt with almost all of my own discipline issues and the worst case has just been putting them out in the hall. This is a big difference from last year where my school had me on a cart because my classroom was being used as an Internal Suspension Room. I'm proud of my school as a whole for the improvement in overall behavior issues.

32. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Apr 5, 2009

June 10 for students, June 12 for teachers.

I am proud of myself for finding my new job and doing the best job I could! I was way better about behavior management this year, and planning.

My goals for next year are to be more organized and to be a little more consistent about little annoyances next year.

33. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

Students end May 29. Teachers June 1st (we had it extended due to missing for snow) Teachers need to make up some days to fit into their contract so if we need it we have June 2nd-5th-which I'm taking..good time to clean up, refile, reorganize so its not bombarding you in August..and pack up if necessary.

This is my 2nd year..and I've learned from last year and learned alot this year. Still making mistakes..but growing from them. As long as I keep growing and learning-that will make me proud.

34. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 5, 2009

I'm proud of my music students for learning a balance between being responsible and having fun. I am also proud of my students, especially my Freshman, for learning genuine respect from blind respect.

I am also proud of my A.P. Psychology students for making it through an intense year. The A.P. exam is May 12, which gives us almost an entire month after the A.P. I will have them do fun and interesting psychology experiments as a reward!

35. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

May 28 for students and May 29 for teachers. I'm leaving to study abroad in Ireland on May 30. Exciting stuff!

I am going to miss my class so much. I just want to retain some of them so I can have them for another year (totally kidding). I'm just so proud of them. It's amazing to see them change from beginning of the year first graders to almost third graders. I only had four of the same kids last year, but I knew a lot of the others too. It's such a difference from then and now! They are "big kids"! :)

36. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

June 19th

37. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Apr 17, 2009

June 24th is the last day...lots of snow days this year!

Two things stick out in my mind this year. First would be the behavior. I had three kids come into my class on behavior plans that no longer need them. When we first saw the IEP's- yikes, we were apprehensive about having them in our classes...but I can honestly say I never saw one sign of a behavior problem with any of the students! I worked hard on implementing some Power Teaching strategies and maybe that worked?? Another thing I am proud of is their writing- kids who started the year writing one incomplete sentence responses for sample state testing questions are now writing 8-12 complete sentences. They really work so hard and I am so proud of them!

38. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 18, 2009

Last day is June 11. However, last day of regular classes is the 2nd, then three days of exams, then a few days for grading exams. The 11th is graduation. So other than having to give and grade my finals (which is not a big deal), attend some meetings, and go to graduation, I'm done on June 2nd.

This is my first year teaching for a full year, and in a new subject. I am proud that I learned the material I had to teach well enough to be an effective teacher. I am also proud of my nutrition class from last term. We did some good projects, had some great conversations, and I made enough of an impact on them that several students stop by and visit me just to chat.