WHEN does it get better????

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by giraffe326, Sep 19, 2007.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2007

A quick rundown of my previous issues:
    I moved 700 miles away from home by myself to teach.
    My coworkers are not friendly and are often snippy to me, make fun of me over words/phrases I use and talk crap about everyone.
    After my regular teaching duties, I have to be a homebound teacher to a child who is considered a sexual predator and is not allowed around other children. I have to average 4-5 hours per week.

Now, I have a scary parent. The parents are divorced with joint custody and the child alternates between the parents homes each week. Week 1 was dad's week. On Tuesday of week 2, Mom was in the principal's office throwing a fit wanting her child moved to a different classroom because I assign too much homework (we team plan and their only homework is what they do not finish in class). Thankfully, my principal is 10000000% behind me. Now, it is week 4 and mom was again pitching a fit on Tuesday. At least this time she came to me and not straight to the principal. My kids enter the building 30 minutes before the bell rings. For that 30 minutes, she chewed me out about the excessive amounts of homework. The thing is is that I have several (3-4) who very rarely take ANYTHING home!! Her child has been diagnosed with ADD and has a prescription but does not take it because her father doesn't want her to. After spending 30 minutes with me, she went and caused a scene in the principal's office. We have a 7:00 AM meeting tomorrow with both mom and dad, plus my principal and another 5th grade teacher. What a lovely way to start the day! Yippee! Not to mention that I have a new hire meeting at the district office after school for an hour and then after that I have to do my homebound duties. Did I mention anywhere that I have a 50-55 minute commute? I likely will not get home until 7:30, 8:00 PM tomorrow!

Oh, and, I fell in front of the whole cafeteria today. A child spilled milk on the ground and did not tell anyone or wipe it up. I was carrying a bowl of hot soup and slipped on it. I skinned my knee and had to go the day with out lunch, as I did not like what the cafeteria was serving. Grrr....

As soon as I feel it is starting to get better, it gets WAY worse!!

3. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 19, 2007

Wow, that sounds exactly like MY life! Well, I am a second year and today I cried to the teacher that mentored me last year (as we are now friends). I feel that I cannot turn to my team for support because they are too goofy. I have nothing in common with them and I know that I am seen as an outsider. I just feel like I need to talk to someone with the same concerns as myself. I just feel alone. I feel like the year is going ok, but I have so many questions and insecurities as "still new" teacher.

4. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Sep 19, 2007

Aw I am so sorry. I don't think I can help you, because I would have run home crying by now. The fact that you haven't says a lot. I do hope it gets better for you. *Hugs*

5. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

Wow, that's a tough first year! I moved to NC from Michigan too, but at least my boyfriend moved with me. It would be hard to be all alone and be in that situation.

That would be horrible to have a parent like that. I kept thinking to myself what I would do in that situation. What a pain in the butt! I am thnakful that os far I seem to have great parents. I have had parents ask me to give more homework, but not less (I guess they are used to having a lot).

I do really think it will get better - things usually do. Just stick out the first year because based on all that I have heard it's not good to quite in the middle of the year. It will just be harder to get a better job.

I had issues with my grade level team too. Two are my age and one is older - all are negative and seem to hate the school and most people in it. The 2 my age still seem to be in party mode still and we barely get anything accomplished when we meet. They just talk and joke and complain. I have slowly over time pulled information out of them that I need to know. But honestly things have gotten better. I try to be as friendly as possible and joke around with them at times so they don't think I am too serious. I overlook their negativity and stay on their good side and just try to get along with everyone.

I also feel so overwhelmed and busy with all the training I have to go through and extra things I have to do. There is just not enough time in the day. Thankfully I really have no friends here yet so I have nothing better to do than grade papers and plan :) I do believe things will get better as time goes on. Good luck with everything. I feel for you!

6. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

Unfortunately, rude and mean co-workers are in any job, any career. The best we can do is be pleasant but not let them walk all over us. I would not tolerate name-calling or people making fun. Isn't that what we tell our children? Why are they acting that way? It's simply immature. Stand up to them but with dignity and respect.

7. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Sep 24, 2007

Hang in there . . . unpleasant coworkers, irrational parents, excessive duties . . . these things happen in our career, but it sounds like it's pouring instead of just raining for you right now.

Take care of yourself . . . take mental health days, join a book club or a gym, refuse to think about work at night and have a glass of wine or read a book for pleasure.

Are you getting paid extra to teach this homebound child? Is this expected of all teachers? Sometimes, if things are just requested of you but not required of you, you just have to say, no, sorry, it's too much.

May I ask, can you find a place closer to work? Or could you look for positions back in Michigan? It sounds like the usual first year teacher struggles combined with moving to a new place, catty coworkers, and a few situations with students are really wearing on you. Perhaps being closer to friends and family would help.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2007

I do get paid extra for teaching the homebound child. About $60 a week. I will likely find something closer to my apartment next year. The job market in Michigan is awful, hence the relocation. I subbed for 2 years there, fully licensed!!

I did take a sick day Friday. Unfortunately, I had the flu. Plus, I had several teacher editions with me, so I had to make the trek to school and back. Plus, my sub didn't find my plans until the end of the day :confused: The only thing on my desk were the plans and the TE's with the pages marked w/Post-Its. Oh well. The kids were good for the sub which is the important thing!!

I know it will get better, eventually. I've just run out of patience waiting!!!