When do you throw in the towel?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sks72, Mar 18, 2013.

1. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Mar 18, 2013

I know the economy is tough, but I got my teaching certification January 2012. I've been on many interviews, and I keep getting denied the job.

If I was 22, I'd keep on keepin' on. However, I went back to school as an adult, and i had to take a desk job, because sorry, but you cannot survive on substitute teaching without taking another night job (unless your spouse is helping to pay your bills, which is not my case).

I don't know how much longer I can keep looking. It's a shame, because I worked so hard for this certification. I love teaching. But I have a life to live.

Advice? Stories?

3. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Mar 18, 2013

I have been asking myself this a lot recently and have been discussing it with my husband as well. I have also asked my other teacher friends as well but they don't get it. I have been looking for a full time position since May 2009 (4 YEARS!) (ART k-12) I am not picky as far a commute or anything like that. In 4 years I have been on 5 interviews. I was lucky enough this year to get a LTS k-5 from NOV-April which will be ending in a month. I love love love teaching. I am also a career changer. I am closer to 40 then 30 let alone 20. Before this LTS position I subbed for a while but could not afford to live that way so I began waitresing 5 days week. I am going to give this hiring season a shot but come september I may be giving up. Not because I don't love it but because it is depressing to have MA in teaching and tell people you are unemployed for this long. AND I want to start living my life and not living paycheck to paycheck with a mountain of debt. Sorry for the rant. So i guess my limit will be 5 years.

4. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Mar 18, 2013

I definitely understand how you feel. A lot of people think you're being weak by giving up. But is it really giving up if what you're doing is making yourself happy and ridding yourself of the stress of life? It's hard sometimes to define that line between following your dreams and being practical. I wish people could be more realistic and empathetic (including those interviewing me at schools!).

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 18, 2013

I got my credential and masters in Jan. 2011. Like everyone, I was hopeful that I would have a job by that fall, but then quickly realized that there weren't many jobs, and I was up against hundreds / thousands of experienced teachers.
    I subbed for 2 years. I think it's realistic to expect that you're subbing for 2-3 years, you actually gain experience, and have something to put on a resume.

I just started to apply for jobs in November, and finally got a job offer. (got 2 interviews). But I have to move 5 and a half hours away to be able to teach. I don't mind, but if you asked me 6 months ago, I would have said no way, I'm not moving.
    It came down to either move or sub for a few more years.

Sks72, you just got a credential 1 year ago, it's not time to give up yet. If 72 is your birth year, then I', only a year younger than you.

What do you think is hurting your chances? You said you've been on many interviews. Is it that you're up against more experienced teachers, interview skills, etc?

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 18, 2013

I've been there. I earned my certification when I was 33, then promptly moved to another state, where it took months to fulfill their requirements and transfer my certification. I took that year to substitute. After two years of this, all while looking for full-time positions, I took most of a year off from subbing to work a desk job. I went back to subbing for the rest of that full year and finally got an offer that summer.

It's really rough trying to balance between keeping your hand in teaching and earning a decent living with another job. However, I wouldn't give up now, especially with retirements and transfers coming up soon. Check your state's DOE job bank on at least a weekly basis. Even if there's nothing for you at that time, note the number of openings. In my region, there are currently 20 more openings than there were last time I looked.

It can happen!

7. blauren

blauren Rookie

Mar 18, 2013

I graduated in 2010, this is my 3rd year of subbing. This past summer was the only time I saw numerous social studies openings within an hour radius of where I live. I applied for everything, thinking that for sure with my long term sub jobs that I would at least get an interview. I didn't even get an interview anywhere. I'm sure all the school districts just hired directly off their own sub list because there haven't been social studies openings around here since I graduated.

8. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Mar 18, 2013

In some cases you may need to move as your area may be very limited for openings/potential openings. In other cases, you may need to add endorsements (for the secondary level) to open up your potential. I added a science endorsement, yet my heart is not with science, but it could help me get my foot in the door and possibly allow me a lateral move into a social studies position at a later date.

I have had many interviews with absolutely no feedback on why I was not chosen, despite requests asking as to what I could do to improve my changes to obtain a position in the future. After speaking with a principal, I've been told that I should try an EA (teacher's assistant) position, or just keep trying because these positions are garnering hundreds of applications, and when there are experienced teachers involved, they will likely win out. Of course it is hard to GET experience if no one gives you a chance...

9. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 19, 2013

My two pennies.

I found out i was not coming back (along with others) in late April 2011. Grrr. Took me a year to find a job. I travel 70 miles to work one way. I am again on the Campagin 2013 trail to find something closer.

I have thought of moving out of state.

10. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Mar 19, 2013

I graduated with my masters when I was 27 & didn't get my first teaching job until I was 30. I worked as a TA and worked an after school job while I went on several interviews. It was exhausting and sometimes it felt hopeless but I knew that I definitely wanted to be a teacher so I had to keep trying.

If this is definitely what you want to do, don't give up. Do something differently - redo your resume, make a great portfolio or brochure, talk to anyone you know in education to make connections, you never know when/where an opening will be.

Good luck :)

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2013

Sending hugs your way. I know I was lucky to land a job both years I searched. I agree with the advice given though, don't give up if you really love it. Hopefully something will come along. However, you also have to do what makes you happy. I wish I had a magic wand and could give everyone a dream job. I know 15 people in my district are retiring this year, so some jobs are out there. :hugs:

12. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

It depends on where you are. Honestly, where I am i'm about ready to give up. I chose the worst area to teach in as far as job needs (social studies, even though I love it, theres no way in hell im getting a job since I can't coach a sport). I'm almost 24 and to be honest I've accepted I'm just a loser. Social studies classes are easier, even in college and I just lucked out that I had an interest. If i'd majored in a real major like business or in a medical field I would have failed out and probably ended in the same situation. Working in a grocery store minimum wage. I'm still applying for jobs, but I'm pretty much ready to give up.

13. MsConnie

MsConnie Rookie

Apr 9, 2013

I graduated 2011 with a Masters. I applied then for elementary teacher positions, hoping to land at least an interview. No luck. I ended up abroad in Taiwan, which, don't get me wrong, was awesome, but I definitely want to be home with my family and friends. I'm applying again this year, to anything and everything. Again, no luck yet. I'm now straddling the fence as well--be practical or keep pursuing this dream job, which really is a dream these days. The lack of response during this hiring season is really getting me down. I think it's time to throw in the towel when it is no longer feasible, unless this really is your ultimate life goal. I think I may just give it one more year, or go abroad again.

Regardless of what choice you make, keep in mind that you are all amazing. You dedicated your time and resources to pursue a career with the only goal of helping children by widening their horizon with all the knowledge and confidence in the world.

14. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Apr 9, 2013

You all are making me seriously regret not renewing my contract based on distance---confident that I will land a job closer to home in the fall. Now I'm petrified. I was confident of course, because when I was interning this past fall I had SEVEN job offers--I took the school I interned at out of loyalty. Now I've filled out countless applications yesterday, sent principals emails, and am fearful that there are 82,000 other applicants for these jobs.