When do you think decorations should be taken down after the holidays?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 8, 2011

I don't do decorations, so I can't really say, but my town puts theirs up sooo early - right around Nov 1st. Then they leave them up until about next week. It's funny though, because I hate how early they put them up but then I feel sad when they come down :) Everything looks so bare for a few weeks, it's sorta depressing, lol

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

We put ours up the day after Thanksgiving and normally take them down around this time.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2011

When the holidays are over. By January 2nd things should be down...and if they're not down, you should at least not turn them on.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 8, 2011

I take mine down on Ephiphany. Otherwise, I haven't celebrated the twelve days of Christmas.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

We decorate sometime near the end of the first week of December; the tree probably goes up the week after that. I like to have everything down and put away before going back to school in January. This year we were on vacation, so that didn't happen. Doing it this weekend just seems far too late.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

I think it depends on a lot of different things, including the weather.

I might have been tempted to wait one more week on the outside stuff, but there's more snow coming Tuesday into Wednesday. So I did ours, and our neighbor across the street did his.

Our inside is done before school starts; things just get too hectic.

Ideally, I would go with Little Christmas. But once my SAHM days were over, "Ideally" went out the window.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2011

I figure if it is acceptable for them to be up a month before Christmas, it is ok to have them up a month after.

Now, before I moved, I still had my tree up in May. That's no ok. lol

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 8, 2011

Around here, they stay up until the start of the carnival season. What's great about the end of Christmas, is that is starts with king cakes, and then everything is purple, green and gold until Ash Wednesday.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2011

Before February (Valentine's Day coming up and it doesn't seem to jib with that). This time we probably will do it right before the movers come as far as the outside decorations go. The inside stuff can be packed at the same time as everything else.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2011

I put my decorations up on Thanksgiving and take them down on Dec 29th.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

Many people wait until the Epiphany. That was January 6.

My decorations stay up until my son goes back to college next week...that's when the holidays are over for us.

I think I'll go turn my lights on. I love how they look in the snow.

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 8, 2011

I put my decorations and tree up the weekend following Thanksgiving. The tree comes down on New Years Day, and then everything else follows, usually all is down by the weekend after New Years.
    THEN I put up snowflakes, lighted on the fence, and snowmen to make up for the blah look the house gets after the decorations are down.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2011

Hey, it's just my opinion.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

Today was the first year I decorated, because this is our first house! I decorated the house during the first week of December, and put up a tree 2 weeks away from Christmas.

We took our tree down on the 31st, and the rest of the decorations down last weekend.

Next year, I would like to decorate right after Thanksgiving, and then still follow my take down routine. :)

There are a couple people on our street with lights still up and on at night. I don't really mind because I love Xmas lights.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 9, 2011

We decorate the night after Thanksgiving and take everything down as soon as possible after Christmas (sometimes the next day). I like the look of the holidays, but I love a sense of normalcy.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 9, 2011

When I lived with my parents, I put up the decorations the Friday after Thanksgiving. They came down the evening of Christmas Day.

Now that I'm married, it's changed slightly. We put them up the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and they come down Dec. 26th.

I don't decorate all that much. We just put up a tree. One year we were really busy, and I'd also been sick around the holidays. We didn't decorate at all. When MIL found out, she couldn't believe it. You think I'd denounced the birth of Jesus by not putting up a tree.

18. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 9, 2011

We put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving this year. My boyfriend is depressed right now as he is having problems with work (like he is looking for another job kind of problem) and he refuses to let me take the tree down just yet. He said we'll take it down before Valentines day.

We are far enough away from the people behind us that with the blinds closed they can't see the tree lights on at night and there is only a parking lot in the front of us; so unless you're actually wanting to look in our front window and through the entire house - you can't see it.

19. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 9, 2011

I took the tree down last weekend. I would take it down the day after Christmas, but DH likes it up longer.

The outside icicle lights are still up and on. I love how they look.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

I should have taken the tree down today, but I was too lazy!

I like our tree up...I like how the light is when it is on, just a soft low light. Good for movie watching. But tomorrow, I'll take it down.

The outside lights are going to have to wait until this foot of snow disappears...but I don't have them on. I would because I like the light from them also, but I don't like the electric bill.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2011

kc, I agree--I love having the tree on for the beautiful lights. Mine stay up a little longer because I spend Christmas back home by my parents. I love having my decorations up, so I keep them up for a week or two in January (usually until we have a snow day!)

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

Just took everything down yesterday. Well, started with small stuff on Friday & Staurday & then tree yesterday!!!

We left our lights on the deck because we haven't had snow to see the lights until this last weekend... we will leave those up for awhile... no one can really see them but us.

We do however have lights we put up in the house to go with the different holidays. Right now blue lights because they remind us of ice... I did say this morning it seems so dark in the house without our Xmas lights up... but the blue lights help a little.... Next month red!!! LOL!!!!

23. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

Always until Epiphany (3 Kings Day). When I was a little girl, my Mom always told me that the decorations had to stay up until the Three Kings 'arrived' to see them. I feel sad taking them down, but relieved when I am done. I do miss the lights outside and the Christmas tree lights the most.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

I need to get working on the tree, but its hard to take it down because it means Nicholas' first Christmas is really over. lol But really, we keep the tree and decorations in the storage unit and I don't know when we'll get back there, so I'm taking my time with it. Usually it comes down sometime around now. Next year might be a bit speedier if Nicholas is walking!

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

Leigh... we bought some of the after Xmas sale lights... just to keep up & we still do... I know lil ones love those lights... It's so much fun to change them with the holidays... although my neighbor laughs when we put the red ones up & our house is glowing red!!! LOL!!!

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 10, 2011

What's sad is I have never heard of 3 King's Day or Epiphany. I asked my husband. He has never heard of it either.

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

It's HUGE here because it starts our carnival season, which leads up to Mardi Gras! Basically, around here it means 2 or so months of king cake, parties, and parades!

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 10, 2011

Interesting!

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

Living in the dark "North" I made the decision that I would leave my lights up as long as I wanted! (I am the boss right?) The Christmas lights really brighten the dark afternoons. We will leave our lights up probably till the end of Jan. Lots of people in our town leave their lights on till then.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

We're looking at another foot of snow tonight. Anyone whose outdoor decorations are still up is going to have them for quite some time to come.

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

That's how I feel!!! We do have ours out on our deck to leave on!!! :D

32. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 11, 2011

Epiphany or Three Kings Day is usually January 6th-the 12th day after Christmas. It celebrates a couple different things. It is supposedly the day Jesus was baptized and the day that the 3 kings arrived to bring their gifts. I live near Tarpon Springs and there is HUGE celebration with lots of pagentry involving the blessing of a cross, then tossing it into a local bayou where the young men of the church dive for it and whoever finds it is blessed for the following year. it is also when, before regular calendars, that the church announced the date of Easter.

33. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

I love this celebration! When I lived in the area I went every year!